The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Demon Dragons. They have a nice color selection. My favorite is probably the Muddy River Catfishing. I do like the Pink, Blue, and High Fin Blue colors to. I’ve never bought one or used them before. Just really started learning about the pros of using a Santee Cooper rig. Do any of you guys use them? Are they worth the money? Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw a video(don't remember the guy's name) where he compared the floatation of the dragon vs a Styrofoam float. The dragon hardly floated the bait while the float did. $5 dragon vs 40 cent float with versa rattles did better job.
I believe that was Dieter Melhorn Fishing. I think he was using the Original Demon Dragon. Since then they came out with the 3.0. He also got some blanks from a fan or subscriber and painted them himself. But he uses all three. The styrofoam w/versatile rattles, demon dragons, and the self painted blanks. He said all 3 will catch fish. It’s all personal preference and what you can afford.

·
Registered
191 Posts
4 in foam corks do hold the bait up higher than those demon dragons.. try them in a pool and see for yourself.

I use these.... they are the best... they even rattle when the beads slide on the rod. Caught a 30 lber off my dock last night using this rig, and he even chewed up the float... but it's still usable.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/comal-tackle-4-x-6-snap-on-peg-floats-2-pack

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use the 3inch Styrofoam with a versa rattle at the hook. It produced a 45 lb blue and a couple small flatheads just this morning. I pre tie a few and stick in sandwich bags so they are easy to tie on. The floats will get tore up at times but at 50 cents a piece ,no big deal.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Was using the Styrofoam floats with good success, bought a pack of plastic with rattle ball imitation DD's from Amazon for a little less than $1.00 ea., the reviews said some may leak if not painted so I painted them a variety of colors from the spray cans I had in the shop. At first I was completely sold on them as they were out fishing the floats almost 3 to 1 but over the course of the summer it evened out. The big advantage I see now is durability, the imitation DD's last fish after fish and snag after snag, I seem to be replacing the floats frequently. The real DD's have a much better paint job than my imitations but don't know if that makes a difference to the fish.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a great conversation guys. Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. I’ve never used a Santee Cooper Rig or any type of bait floating accessory. Well other than pole floats but you know what I mean. So this information is great in helping me learn about this.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
The ultra chubs sold by whisker seeker have quite a bit more flotation than the traditional demon dragons. They are pricey though as they come with a steel leader, snap and triple threat circle hook already attached. The snap allows you to change hooks.

They have been doing really well for my buddy, and he has been out catching me using the ultra chubs.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I use the DDs, chubbs, regular floats and the MP Seekers on almost all my rigs. they all do great. The MP Seeker and DDs are my favorite. Then the chubb and the regular floats. Don't think the fish care but I caught quite a few 60+lb fish last summer on the DDs and MPs. They seemed to get hit more than the others, thinking maybe the rattle and propeller just irritates them, nothing more

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I’m a strictly bank fisherman 99.9% of the time. So what type of floats are better for that? I use cut bait and live bait when I can get them. Creek chubs, Sunfish, Bluegills, Fawfish, and Suckers mainly.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I have been interested in these also. Please let us know what you think of them.:smile1:
They are working well for me. I took one and put treble hooks on the tail and belly and used it for it's intended purpose of a bass plug and it did catch a few little bass, the rest were painted and put in the boat to be used like a D.D.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts