Deltalover gathering Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Mar 15, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thursday morning I left L.A. on the north bound I-5 in light traffic over the "vine" and into the San Joaquin Valley. Driving across the valley was uneventful with no accidents along the way to slow things up so I was able to cruse at towing speed all the way to Stockton with only stops for Restroom breaks and lunch.
    When I arrived at Paradise Point Marina, I contacted the on site security guard (the landing was closed for the night) and asked about a place I could camp and fish overnight as I was there to sign out one of their house boats in the morning.
    The security person said that as long as i was there that they would open the houseboat for me to sleep on and I could fish off the boat. Talk about unexpected customer service, He went to the managers house and they came and let me onto the dock and showed me how to start the generator and water pumps so that everything was functional on-board.
    I unloaded my sleeping gear and part of my tackle and boarded the boat.
    This boat was well appointed and clean. I tossed my bed roll on the bunk by the rear sliding door and rigged up for fishing with some Danny Kings and tossed out a line.
    After a couple of hours with nothing happening I took my light pole and tied on a 1/16 oz. lead head and slipped on a 2" white grub curly tail body.
    I took this rig out onto the dock and walked along tossing it into the water under the dock lights.
    Almost immediately I was hit by a hand sized crappie that really seemed to want to eat that grub. Altogether I pulled out about a dozen crappie, the largest of which was about 3/4lb. I kept the four largest ones and tossed the others back for future anglers.
    Nothing was happening off the back of the boat so I decided to turn in.

In the morning (Friday) I woke up early and was waiting for the landing office to open so I could take official control of the boat the other fellows started to arrive so I directed them to the boat and they started the task of unloading their gear and stowing it on the boat. Once everyone was there and was busy I went and signed out.
    A little more work and we completed stowing the gear on-board and got away from the dock around noon.
    We motored our way down Disappointment Slough, across the San Joaquin river and into Columbia Cut to about half way to Mildred Island found a Likely looking spot with deep water, dropped anchor and wet our lines.
    A short while after anchoring up Lindsey hooked up with a nice stripper which he boated with no problem. Some time after that Jaime hooked up with what was to prove to be his first striper and it was just legal size.
    Congratulations Jaime!
    Dinner was corned beef and cabbage cooked and sent along for us by Ray's wife as her contribution to our good time. Excellent meal!
    We remained anchored in that spot for a while longer with no further bite of consequence so we moved about a 1/4 mile over into the main channel of Columbia Cut but the current proved to be to much for the anchor to hold even with 100' of scope out, so we moved back to the previous spot for the night in hopes of more stripers. Didn't happen that way. We did however find a persistent over night bite from small catfish less than 12" in length. This was to be one consistent feature no mater where we anchored.
    Saturday morning the fishing continued to be unproductive (not counting the small cats) so after a breakfast of Chorizo and eggs, prepared by Lindsey, we moved on to Mildred Island where we Anchored next to a deep hole at the upper entrance to this submerged island. While we fished in this spot, Bert and Lindsey took advantage of Ray's 12' boat and went to work the shoreline for some nice sized large mouth bass.
    Now, the Delta consists of more than 1,000 miles of sloughs and rivers with Islands enclosed by levies that protect the islands from flooding as almost all of the dry land in the delta has been reclaimed and is below water level. Within these levies are meandering channels lined with tulle's.
    The result is that every place looks the same as every other place with no visible land marks to get your bering from so It's not surprising that Bert and Lindsey could not find their way back to the mother boat. Fortunately Bert had his cell phone and was able to call us and advise that they were at the location we had spent the night at so Ray was able to find them and guide them back. Lesson learned; Don't venture out into the delta waterways without a GPS and a map. It's far too easy to get lost.
    After no significant catches at Mildred other than the LMBs caught by our wanderers we mover further south Down the Middle River to Empire Cut and across to Turner cut/Whisky Slough. While transiting Empire Cut we experienced the sinking of of Ray's 12' boat that was tied to the side of the mother boat, Apparently the way it was tied to the house boat allowed the wake form the larger boat to wash over thee side of the smaller one. So we had to stop in transit to perform a salvage operation. Fortunately the only loss was a coil or rope.
    Once we made our way to Turner Cut we made a stop at Tiki Lagune Resort where Vini had parked his truck that him and Robb had planned to disembark at on Sunday, how ever the decision was made that they were going to depart our company early so they were dropped off a day early.
    Sorry to see them go.
    With the departure of two of our number that were to dropped off in the area we were planning on fishing we reassessed our plan and decided to try our luck further down river so we ran up Turner Cut to the San Joaquin river and down river to the Big Connection slough and tried fishing in the old San Joaquin river channel with no result.
    As nightfall approached we moved ship across the Stockton Deep Water Channel to the Mandeville Tip anchorage for the night. Jaime BBQ-ed some New York steaks and chicken breasts that he had brought along.
    We fished the anchorage area for more small cats and a few undersized stripers throughout the night.

In the morning Paul cooked up some good ol' sausage, bacon and eggs with biscuits and fried potato. Home style cooking, you can't beat it.
    After breakfast we moved out into the main channel and anchored at a the shoal just down river from Prisoners Cut on the edge of the channel and fished in the deep water. Here we caught too many undersized stripers to count them all, They were just going crazy for the cut sardines. After a couple hours of this with no larger fish showing up we moved further down river to The San Andreas shoal at the mouth of The Mokelumne River and found more of the small stripers no legals though.
    Late after noon it was up anchor again with a move to the Potato Slough and anchor for the night out of the ship channel. The place we anchored looked like the best catfish water and sure enough it was full of small cats. Over night Ray did catch the largest catfish of the trip with a 3lb fish. Debate ensued as to whether the fish was a bullhead or not so I produced my fish identification guide and recognized it as a white catfish. Grilled Hamburgers for dinner a'la Jaime and more small cats then bed for the night.
    Monday morning i made sandwiches for Ray, Bert and I and we headed down river to fish a few other spots and troll a bit to see if we could locate any larger fish. No such luck so we returned to the mother boat with our tails between our legs and headed back to the landing to turn in the boat.
    On the way Paul cooked up some chili Dogs for lunch. Those hit the spot.
    Cleaned up the boat off loaded our gear and away we went.
    By this time It was 5:30pm and I wasn't looking forward to the drive all the way to L.A. that late so I opted to drive to my sisters house outside of Fresno. About a 2-1/2 hour drive from Stockton. Be sides during cleanup we found some of Robb's gear that he missed so I decided I could drop it off to him as I passed through on my way home.
    At my Sisters house in the morning we made the decision to spend the day fishing at Bass Lake about 20 miles from her house. So my sister her husband and I took Ray's small boat over to the Lake and trolled around all day for a total of 8 rainbow trout of which we took home six.
    My brother in law and sister enjoyed the outing so much that they decided to get a small boat of their own and found one just a few miles away for sell within their budget so we went to look at it in the morning. after that I went down Into Fresno contacted Robb and returned his fishing pole and other gear then headed for home. The drive home was Uneventful except that I lost my cell phone somewhere along the way when I stopped for food or restroom.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a great time was had for all... good job..:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Washington: Help! We're Overrun By Nerds And Slackers!

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everybody hhope all is well.
    I would like to thank Ray for letting me hitch a ride with him. Ray, your a good man. I had the best vacation ever! I can honestly say I enjoyed the company of my fellow bros.. Ray, Linsey,Tom, Robb, Vini,Bert and Paul. I would fish with these guys anytime! being on a boat for days at a time can test your nerve, these guys are the best. We worked together as a team and got along great(at least I hope I did not get on anybody nerves.
    This is the first gathering in which I actually caught fish. My first was a barely leagal strip bass! and about two small strip bass. I also caught about three fiddler catfish. The mememories will say with me for ever!

Jaime

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great to meet and fish with you brother Jaime:wink: We got a lot in common bro:big_smile: Missed your desert burgers:angry: Had a great time as well with all ya brothers. Wished I could have stayed around till my original depature:angry: Oh well...lesson learned:roll_eyes: Look forward to the next time. Would do it again in a heart beat:smile2:

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Tom, that was a great rendering of the trip, it sounds like a good brotherhood meeting.

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I tried to pass on the feel if not the substance of our trip.
    There was a great deal that went on that I was not able to relate simply because I was not witness to it due to my hearing impairment. Much fellowship was enjoyed by all in attendance I just wish that I could have been a more active participant.

7. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    here are some of the pictures.

Attached Files:

8. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    and some more pictures....

Attached Files:

9. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    and yet some more pictures!

Attached Files:

10. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    more pictures anyone......

Attached Files:

11. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    pictures....pictures......pictures

Attached Files:

12. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    And this is the last of them. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Is't it the way that it goes? When it come to cleaning up after a trip...everyone "splits"...... No one cleans up after themselves....My boat was covered with "Delta Slime".... all that brackish stuff that one finds on the boat after leaving it in the water for 4 days......

I decided with all of the cleaning up that was needed, that I would just take it down to Marina Del Rey.... (under the LA Air Port) and launch my boat and let the salt water help with the cleaning.

"Captain jack" and I went out to try for some of the new Rock Cod, as the season re-opened on the first of March...... The Santa Monica Bay has two distinct canyons that cut into the Santa Monica basin..... Inbetween the two canyons is a rather nice rocky area and I have many deep water spots that we checked out today...... After 5 or 6 "drops" to the depths of 250 feet, we finally found a spot that was very productive..... The drift of the boat had to come into play, as we would go out and beyond and release our "ganions" to the depths....We got some of the Largest Salmon Groupers that have been seen in several years, and I caught some 6 barber pole cod in addtion to limits of the regular fish..... My buddy jack was using his "electric reel" which made the trip up from the bottom rather easy..... but with these fish, when that come about half way up they "pop out" and pretty much float to the top.

If this is an indication of the season that we are going to have this spring/summer..... we are going to have a great year.....

My first picture is of the cleaning board that I had at the Delta..... It has remains of......Danny King, sardines,anchovies, shad, and the remains of many other baits that "someone did not clean off"..... I had to use a wire brush to get some of the stuff off......

big rock cod folks.... we did not have to go to mexico, or central coast California to get em...... and only in 220 to 260 feet of water....

more photos next......

bayrunner ray..

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    more pics of the fine fishing and the equipment used....

bayrunner ray

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    And what a day we had..... on the water just 5 hours "in and out" and back to get to the clean up "officially"

The last of the photos.....

bayrunner ray

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That's a nice mess of fish you have there"! :eek:oooh: "Looking Good"!

"Thanks for sharing the Photos Ray"!
    :0a31:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

17. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Awesome! You guys really did very well.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and photos by all the California brethren! I'm happy to see Deltalovers memory preserved by this gathering! Great job gentleman!:big_smile:

19. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good job on those Bacacio and Vermillions Ray, those are good sized fish. Wish I had been there.
    I think I was responsable for that cutting board. I had set it aside to scrub the bait off the generator cover and then forgot about it as I went on to do other things. Sorry about that.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    My mouth is watering from those catches there. My favorite eating fish. I need to get out there and get me some rock fish.