Delta Pollution

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Deltalover, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Groups Demand End to Unregulated Ag Pollution
    Jun 21st, 2006, 4:24pm For Immediate Release

Rancho Cordova, CA. On Thursday, June 22, the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board will consider renewing the waiver of pollution control requirements for discharges from the largest source of pollution to Central Valley waterways, irrigated farms. More than 100 organizations representing fishermen, labor, public health, recreational boaters, environmental justice and local communities have demanded a stop to the agricultural industry’s unregulated pollution of California’s waterways and groundwater.

The California Sportfishing Protection Alliance, Deltakeeper Chapter of Baykeeper, Environmental Justice Coalition for Water, the Environmental Water Caucus, Allied Fishing Groups and many others will attend and speak at the Regional Board meeting to insist the agency reject a proposal that will continue to exempt farmers from reasonable requirements long applicable to virtually every other public and private entity in the state.

“The Board’s proposal to give this industry a special break on water quality laws is a slap in the face to the families who drink, swim in, fish in and boat in these pesticide-laden waters,” says Carrie McNeil, Deltakeeper Chapter Director. “Today, we join our neighbors from Visalia to Redding to make sure this Board no longer forgets whom they were actually appointed to protect.”

While agriculture has been exempt from pollution control requirements, the environment and people of the Central Valley have suffered the impacts of degraded waterways and threats to their health. Rivers, streams and groundwater throughout the Central Valley are highly contaminated with pesticides, metals and fertilizers. Toxic discharges have impacted water quality, fish populations, and damaged the drinking water supply for thousands of communities who rely on groundwater.

“The proposed waiver continues the transfer of the costs of pollution from polluter to the general public,” said Bill Jennings, California Sportfishing Protection Alliance. “It essentially cedes the Board’s statutory responsibility to protect waterways to industry advocacy groups. After 3 years of the present waiver, the Board doesn’t know who is discharging pollutants, what pollutants are being discharged, who is participating in the waiver program, or who has or has not implemented measures to reduce or eliminate pollution.”

Agricultural runoff has had severe health impacts for thousands of rural Californians. Fertilizers have leached into groundwater, causing high levels of nitrate contamination in the drinking water supply for much of the Central Valley.

“Our communities are the ones who are paying the costs of this waiver. We pay for drinking water that has been poisoned by these agricultural companies. Then, we pay even more money for bottled water because we can't drink our tap water. And then we have to live with the rashes, the hair loss, the threat to our health,” says Ruth Martinez, Ducor Water Board representative and member of Asociacíon de Gente Unida por el Agua (AGUA), a grassroots coalition of communities who traveled over 600 miles to protest the agricultural waiver. “We pay while they poison us."

“Californians and the Delta ecosystems cannot keep paying the price for corporate farm pollution,” said David Nesmith, coordinator for the Environmental Water Caucus. “It is both an irony and a tragedy that regulators seem to have no problem telling subsistence fishing families to stop eating locally-caught fish but struggle to tell these corporate farms to stop polluting.”

California clean water laws mandate all businesses discharging wastewater meet certain permitting and management requirements. The exception to the law allows regulatory boards to administer “waivers” from those usual requirements in cases where a waiver is in the public interest. Both the Legislative Analyst Office and the State Senate Natural Resources Committee have critiqued the irrigated lands waiver.

“I am appalled that the public and the Delta continue to be exposed to devastating pollution from some of California's largest agricultural operations," said California State Senator Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica, the chair of the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee. "The Legislature has focused a great deal of attention and resources to reverse, or at least improve, the near collapse of the Delta ecosystem. Every other industry in California is required to follow state water laws. The same should surely be true for agriculture."

--End--

Bill Jennings, Chairman
    Executive Director
    California Sportfishing Protection Alliance
    Watershed Enforcers
    3536 Rainier Avenue
    Stockton, CA 95204
    t: 209-464-5067
    c: 209-938-9053
    f: 209-464-1028
    e: deltakeep@aol.com

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey man - that's was a "Good Post" & even "Better Info"!

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thanks bro! I think it's important information for anyone that lives and fishes in the delta! Thanks for bringing it back up!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I hope it works out for cali. sounds like something needs to be done in order to protect the water.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    they need to do more then just protect anymore they need to clean it up. good post Phil. btw gonna go do some fishing later today at fox grove not even taking the boat lol.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I was going ling cod fishing today, but instead have to work. Where is "Fox Grove"? I would like to check it out another time! Are you interested in some charter boat fishing, ling cod, salmon and halibut all the same day! Anyone? It's like 70 bucks for the day, but plan on spending a hundred. I'll make a another post later today on the saltwater thread and see if we can maybe get a group togather!

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I aint never been to much for salt water fishing dont like the smell of the ocean lol. Fox grove is real easy to find Phil go south on 99 to the hatch road exit in ceres go east till hatch road dead ends then go to your left (north) just before the bridge you will see a sign to turn to your right into fox grove. We have caught some 5 pounder cats in there and there is a lot of panfish and some good bassfishing or as JW calls them little green carp lol. One of the reasons we like to go there now and then is its close about 15 20 minutes for me to get there and if I take the boat its free to put in and it aint to bad for fishing to get away in the afternoons after leaving the store.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Another time then, bro! I'd love to check out a new spot!

9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Oh yea I think you would like it there. Got a spot up river a ways thats just so nice anchor out and just fish the day away. On my website in the gallery under just fishing pics there are some of the one place in there I like its so quiet and peaceful.

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Hey Mutt where is that where your Dads fishing for trout on your web page?

Very nice web page

I worry about pollution alot too especially living here in the Valley. Out there where we fish often we're not far from where all the crop dusting is going on even late late a night those guys are spraying the firelds of corn, barley and whatever else is out there and I know it gets into the water system, heck i've even heard they add chemicals into the water then irrigate with it?

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thanks Vini
    That is a place called sand bar by spring gap it is about a 12 mile hike up from sandbar its self near the powerhouse about 2 miles below the powerhouse. It is a great place to fish for trout.

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Looks really nice man thats quite a hike so it must be a hot bed of fish.

I need to do some stream fishing pretty soon I have some fly fishing equipment put together now should get some waders just cant justify them yet until I know this is something i'd like and enjoy doing.

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yea I dont know if it is now or not but its always been in the past. Fly fishing is awesome vini.

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    this is why we will miss phill in California, who will ever replace him?

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    No one will replace Delta brother, people like him come once in a lifetime. He will be dearly missed.

16. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have read His posts, and I Bow my head in Honor of our Brother, who has taken the path that we shall all follow one day....