Delta Loop Near Rio Vista

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by BigRossi, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    Well we took my dads new boat out today for only it's second voyage. Man it was cold this AM!!!!

We trolled for stripers for a bit then we were in the process of moving to a new location. We just took off and the water was 16' deep. We hear a booom and the boat revs and slows. Water depth still 16-17' deep.

Dad raises the motor and the blades on our piranha prop have been torn off!!! After more examination the fin at the bottom of the gear case has a slight bend to it and a chunk out of it.

We did have a spare prop on board....I pulled a good portion of my clothing off....did I mention it was cold....and got the prop changes in 16' of water in the middle of no where!

We have NO clue what in the world we hit. Depth finder never moved.

Now we have to buy a new lower gear case for our 2003 90 hp Honda a long with new prop blades. Sure that won't be cheap!!!

One thing I don't understand. Our older boat with out power trip...we would leave the motor unlocked in case it ever hit anything it could pop up. Sure you can't give it much power in reverse but SO WHAT! Power trim is nice..sure....but I think you should have the choice to have it unlocked so it can pop up when you hit something.

Dads pride is hurt big time right now. After changing props we didn't fish much longer...he wasn't much in the mood any longer.

So todays fishing trip was ALL BAD!!!

2. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    P.S......I've seen delta fishing reports claiming stripers being caught......the finder showed 49 to 51 degrees water temps. That's a bit too cold!!!

3. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    The delta is full of under water old pilings stay in the shipping channel when trolling or 50' off the shore. A fellow on another site tore the lower end up hitting a piling Bent the shaft, busted the lowerend on his Honda.
    Four weeks later and $2750.00 he got it back.
    Fish04
    Don

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay BigRossie,Turn the damage into your boat insurance and they will fix that puppy less your deductible and that will help the old pocketbook out some O.K.,Tight Lines brother.LOL Skinny dippin in cold water,You be one tough Dude!!! A Jack and Coke will warm ya right up though when the task is finished :wink: J.D.

5. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    I had no choice but to get partially in the water. We could have waited for the wind to blow us to god knows where...or anchor and wait for someone nice enough to tow us in.....OR...just handle it!

I didn't have to get entirely submerged...there is a step on the back of the boat that permitted me to get close enough to lean over and reach it. I only got wet from my knees down. Damn near fell off a couple times!

Dad says he has a $500 deductible....so that's what he will be out.

6. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    We did mark some nice concentrations of fish yesterday just couldn't entire any of them to bite!

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Big Rossi, sorry bout your dads boat loss. It would be nice if the insurance covers the skeg problem... But, if you need a good fix try the after market skeg repair..... I have a "home made" one on my Honda 90 and it works great.

By the way. What is the area that you call the "Delta Loop"

Bayrunner Raky

8. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    When your traveling down hwy 12 from Lodi to Rio Vista.....the last bridge BEFORE the Rio Vista Bridge. After the bridge you make an immediate right....this is the Delta Loop.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Big Rossi.... I have launched there before.... spent the night on the water.... some nice deep holes up into the seven mile slough...Thats called Terminous. I think

10. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    We've done a lot of fishing in this area and there are some very deep holes out there. Also a lot of shallow water that you wouldn't expect.

In the area we hit....what we assume was a piling....we had been before. I think we basically hit the lottery for say. I'm just glad I'm not the one that was driving at that point!

Few years back we used to fish with a Charter guy out of the area...Capt Don. He was pretty good at pulling Stripers out of the area.

Gave my dad a little grief...I wanted to troll Lake Don Pedro for Trout...but some one had told him stripers were bitin so he wanted to be in the Delta. I told him the water temps should be a little too low to entice them trolling...he didn't listen...and we tore the boat up! LoL...he just tells me to shut up or I'll never use the boat again.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Big Rossi. I have been to Don Pedro one time back a bit.... I really liked the place.. Did not get to much of fishing done there. I stopped there for the night, and launched in the am.... went all the way up the river that leads into it.... well as far as I could until the rocks were a problem...

Ya know... as I was "sight fishing" there on the river (Stanislaus) i know that
    I saw a sturgeon there in the shallows.... the lighting was excellent and the fish was about 40 inches long....got some LM bass in the river, as well as a trout on my rooster tail....

I told the man at the boat dock about my find on the river/lake... he said that he did not think that there were sturgeon in the lake.... but I think that they might have been there in the river from years back....

Back to my trip.... I had just taken my boat out of the Delta, and went to New Melones I think, to check it out on the way to Don Pedro.. which was recommended to me by my brother... who had worked construction in the area .... He said that it was "real nice" and had excellent fishing...So it was an overnight stop, and a quick on the water prior to heading back to the Los Angles area.....Would you believe that the tranny in my mini van took a dump near fresno... Good friend in Clovis pu me up for the night, and the Dodge dealer just exchanged the tranny for me... (still under warrenty)

Maybe we can do a Houseboat trip on Don Pedro boys....

later... Bayrunner Ray

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Doesn't New Melounes have better fishing? Why not houseboat it there? the delta houseboat thing sounds cool too, I didn't get to go on the last one.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Love the post. Wonder if there are dino's in the lake? Could be.... I see why not:wink:
    Hey I am game for a house boat gathering:wink: Vini short changed me on the last one. I could makeup for it....hahahahahahaha! Anywho.... Great post Ray:wink:

14. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    There are some nice House Boats on Pedro for sure! Pull back in Catfish cove and see what we can catch....besides a buzz of course!

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Big Rossi.:0a21:... What is the Delta Loop? I know you mentioned the Terminos off ramp, but does it mean that folks launch there and travel to hear or there while fishing. I could imagine a "loop" from their up the "moke" to the Walnut area.... but just wondered what you call the way of doing the loop?

Thanks... Bayrunner Ray

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  16. BigRossi

BigRossi New Member

State:
    California
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...cd=2&cad=src:pplink&ei=nX4iS_W3G4GwsQP15pCnCQ

Here is where we put our boat in at. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/California/Isleton.html
    151 Brannan Island Rd, Isleton, CA‎ - (916) 777-5511‎
    Write a review
    "Lighthouse Resort & Marina 916-777-5511 Located on the Delta Loop off Highway 12 and Brannan Island Road ..."‎ californiadelta.org

17. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Big Rossi... crystal clear on the where abouts of where you are talking about....

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray - Now you know that I will Dive in "Head First" for that one Ray - I been waiting senice 2007 to do that again.
    :0a32:
    All of the things that we all talked about doing like fishing in waters that are not fished often or droping a bunch of the guys off on a shore line to fish an area that is not fished all of the time and the fishing presure is not present.
    :0a23:
    "Oh Yea" - I could just see it all now:canny: things being said like:
    "Hey - I think that you are getting a bite "Big Sean" :cool2:
    &
    "Hey somebody get the net & help "BigRossi" with that one" :crazy:
    &
    "Someone make that "Big Robb" dosen't get to close to the water because you know that he had a few & he is know to that a dive, weather he wants to or not. (lol):wink:
    &
    We can't forget my Buddy "Tom" telling "Jamie" to "Wake The #$%^ Up"! :smile2: (lol)
    Hey Ray - We all had a good time on that "Deltalover Houseboat Trip" & Know what we all know now - we would have an even better time this time around.
    "Trust me on the one"
    :wink:

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    LOL!!! Good one Bert! love it! Great times. Love to fish new water. I think we have some pretty good support to have a houseboat gathering:wink:

20. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well put Bert..... the memories of times past.... I have some ideas on where to go.... nice Ox bowl lake to anchor up in... and a big turn in the river... nice flat area with rip/rap on the outside, and nothing but trees in the middle of the area. Nice deep channel cutting through the west of it....

Make me think that I need to get out and finish the outside work for the day..... its warm and dry today

Santa Claus is watching......