Delta fishin holes

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Deltalover, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    How many times have you read in the local newspapers or heard people talking about delta hotspots with names like The Cut, Sturgeon Bend, The Powerlines, The Clambed, ect? With fishing access being hard to find these days, I found this list of the best holes listed A to Z!
    Before I post the link, one more thing! We are the stewards of our rivers, Please Pack your trash! Let know one say "it was a thing of beauty untill you came"!
    .http://www.californiadelta.org/fishingholes.htm
    Tight Lines, Bent Poles and Screaming Reels!

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Very good resource Phil. Thanx.

3. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Hey Phil how have you been long time no hear. Lets hook up sometime soon

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Phil, it sure is great to see you posting buddy.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Phill,

"Your the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :thumbsup:

I always wanted to know about the spots up in the Delta, "Good Post"! :D

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I grew up on the delta, Antioch area used to go out to sherman island,
    rio vista, and out to paradise. Theres one place my dad used to take me that i could never find once I grew up. Have you heard of salmon slough?and if so how do ya get there. I'm presently in the military stationed in GA but come home to visit my mom once a year or two. could you help me out.

7. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm sure philip would have loved to help but he gone to the big fishing hole in the sky we miss ya buddy

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Mr. Gaines,

I know what your’ speaking about. As I drive some many miles, from LA planning to get on the water to look; fish, catch and setup camp for the temporary night, I leave very early, or leave late Friday nite.. I know where I can hold over-both ways to the Delta. Now those spots that you mentioned are all off hwy 160. Someone is selling bait etc. to the land based people. Get away to 3mile slough and the San Joaquin. Go east 4 miles to the San Andres Shoals. Look for diving birds, drop offs and fish jumping. Turn into “fisherman’s cut” and troll for stripers and flip for LM bass…. Sit on the wrecks for cats if you care too.

I have seen the web site before. Great places to fish…. So they say. I stay at Brannen Island. I have launched from “Crown Resort”, “Wimpys, “Moss dale landing” “Dose Rios” “Tower Park”. So many places launch from. I like the water around “Franks Track”. The bass boys go inside of the inner Island and do well……..If the wind is not blowing. You need a 24 volt motor in the delta wind…..anyway, Bethel Island.

Bin on two house boat trips with my departed bro... coach Willie "Bill" Williams. He would arrange for good ole southern camping etc. We went to many miles in the house boat.... I wouldn't do it again with the price of gas. Actually, I would. Get a house boat out of Helen and Hermans for 3-4 days and head up to the elbow or to the Sloughs.....Drop the two anchors.... plan for the tidal changes....... four to be exact.... up and down, up and down

bring an extra boat to use to fish from..... this is the base camp for the wife, girl friend, baby sitter, kids. Fishing is what your doing. Leave em on the house boat or take em with you.. good TV reception video games..... Your fishing

bayrunner ray

I’m Telling you the truth when I say sometimes, I wish I had a “deck hand at the Delta”.

Fish on,

Bayrunner ray

9. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Rich, take a look at this. Select Hybrid and zoom in.

Salmon Slough

Phil Gaines has passed away.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Bayrunner Ray,
    I fished many many times with Phillip (deltalover) on the Delta. Turner cut, Mossdale, Windmill Cove to name a few. He passed away a few months back. I know Phillip would love the post.

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Respectfully,

"Did not get to fish with a good man"...... After my post, and looking around I discovered that he had departed.

I'll catch a Delta big one and release it in his memory..... I like to bring one home once in a while and release it in the local trout pond.... I bet the local kids and adults wonder where that fish came from.

Bayrunner ray

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Richard... Not sure the link from Steve did much for you in locating the slough... I have fished it but did not know its name...see if this rendering may be better.. shows some roads etc.

bayrunner ray