Delta catfish?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by baitchunker, Mar 28, 2007.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey

i am a new member, and i was wondering if anyone else chases fish on the south side of the state? mostly from dixie landing to the delta. if so has anyone had any luck with'em? i am going this sunday and always appreciate good advice.

thank you

2. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, grew up in Uriah, AL just north of Dixie. Matter of fact we always put in at Eureka. I've fished from there down and on through the Mobile Delta where my folks live now. We used to run trot lines a lot down there and there were always plenty of fish. If you are going to drift just look for eddy water and holes. Concentrate on outside bends in the river. Skipjack is hard to come by down that way but if you can find them they'll be in the creek mouths. Minnows work good to entice them. Otherwise your basic shad, catawba worms, and livers will do the trick for bait. The Delta is a little different but your approach is the same, look for irregularities that cause current breaks, if you are going for the eaters shrimp works well, the fresher the better. I caught a 76lber just north of Cloverleaf landing just off of Gravine Island, so the big ones are there you'll just have to hunt for them

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jonathon Welcome to the BOC

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey katkaller

thanks for the tips. do you still live in uriah? i used to live in huxford. had some good times up that way. i think i know that deep hole your talkin' about just north of cloverleaf, that is one of the deepest holes in the river that i have ever found. 1oo+ ft. i think.

p.s. thank you plumbertom

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    where is this deep hole

6. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I fish around gravine all the time, got a 56lbr there a month ago. Got him at the the mouth of the ship channel between gravine island and the mobile river. I know of a deep hole just below I 65 on middle river but have never put a hook in it. I caught that blue on a live bream but cut mullet works good for me too. I usually put in at Byrnes lake just above cloverleaf landing.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, jonathon.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey fella's

didnt get to go this weekend. too much rain and even more honey-do's.
    the deep hole i am thinking of is just south of gravine, over by the bluff at blakely state park. but i have seen that hole over there at middle river, as well as one over there above 65 on the tensaw side south of live oak. it hurts my feelings to drive across that dang causeway every day and have to work, but i'll be on the water soon.

9. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I know about that hole at blakely park. Seems like the last time I ran over it it was about 100 ft deep or more. Theres alot of current in there when the tides going out or in. I live in Fairhope and work in Mobile so if you want to put a line in sometime drop me a message.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    steve

i live in s.f. and also work in mobile. it will be a while b4 my schedule clears up. but im all for it. just bought a new boat, but i havent had a lotta time to take it out yet. soon though! i grew up runnin trot lines up river. i have fished the delta for the last couple years. (rod and reel) but haven't really gotten in to em' good yet.

11. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    No sorry, I live all the way up in Huntsville, AL now. I still get down that way some and do a little fishing with my dad. BTW the 76 I caught didn't come out of the hole you are talking about. BUT there are fish in there as well as a ton of snags.

12. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    where is cloverleaf landing?

13. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama

Right off hwy 225 about 6-7 miles north of Spanish Fort. Becareful or you'll go right by it. (it's a dirt road)

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No help here.............but.............welcome to the BOC

15. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the info. i live in andalusia and normally go to monroeville or north on the river. i have put in at boatyard.