Delaware River - Tacony area

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by besachio, Mar 22, 2007.

1. besachio

besachio New Member

State:
    Pa
    Looking to find good spots for cat's around the Tacony bridge.

I have fished just north of the Arsenal ramp, not bad action but nothing over 3 lbs. Just south of that on the other side of the river I have landed 4+ lbs. cat's on live eels. I have also tried the mouth of the rancocas creek and never get anything? Should I try going up the rancocas a bit?

If anyone has some area's I would love to hear about them or any techniques that will help in the strong current of the Delaware!

Thanks everyone!

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    hey, not to familar with your area, but i can give you one secrete that will make sure you will put alot of fish on your line. its call hillgremites! best bait your ever use for just about anyfish in the delaware. just flip some rocks on a sandy bank and you should be able to find startin in mid april. then its easy use a size 4 hook with a split shot and target dusk and dawn and you will catch cats and smallmouth like no other, you can also catch cats right through the day with them but action is slower. if you havnt tried them make sure you do. thay have helped me land cats over 10#s

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Not too familiar with the delaware north of the Ben franklin. I've fished rancocas creek a few times and wasn't impressed at all. From the Ben on down to the Delaware Memorial is a different river indeed. Thats where I spend all my time. Ya are on the rite track with the eels. They work real good. Also get yourself some whole mackeral and use em as cut bait and when the perch start runnin don't hesitate to use them. I'm gonna assume ya are fishin from a boat. Try some of the smaller feeder creeks up that way on the tide swing. At the mouth will be most productive. Also get on down to pettys island and anchor up on the north side when the tide is comein in and the south side on the outgoin. Shoot me a PM and matbe sometime we can get together and pound the south end of the river. Best of luck to ya!

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Fished there during the spring striper run. Try some bloodworms. Last time i was there, it was fenced off.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If you can get some fresh Shad, cut it up and use it. Also as George said, eels are great bait but try cutting them up in to 3/4 inch sections instead of using them live. Live eels will ball up on the hook. Good luck with it.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    and try the new jersey fourm, they have like 20 pages on the delaware river

7. GATOR744

GATOR744 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've fished this area for some time found a few good spots on the PA side one is at the Tacony Bridge right below the first bridge suport . And anther is out for the old pump huose below the Arsenal ramp on the PA side.

GOOD LUCK !!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good first post Joe. Given up the spots already. LOL! Welcome to the family.

9. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: He'll learn soon enough George