Delaware River channel cats

Discussion in 'NEW JERSEY RIVERS TALK' started by rem700, Sep 17, 2010.

1. rem700

rem700 New Member

State:
    P.A.
    My wife and I were working our way down the Delaware from Port Jervis, some where north of the water gap there's a parking lot, I think there is a old copper mine there, and some hiking trails, any way, we were casting shiners into a deep hole there and we started catching some beautiful channel cats, I don't remember how many we caught, maybe a half dozen or so between five and ten lbs. My wife hooked one she couldn't budge, she could just stand with her rod bent and drag running out, people in boats were stopping to watch, two people that were swimming past us, got out and left when they saw she was fighting a fish, they didn't want to see what was in the water with them. Finally she got the cat close enough where we thought we were going to get a look at it, I saw it's mouth for a split second as it turned and dove again and the knot pulled, that was it, gone. That was twenty years ago and I've never made it back there.

2. rivershark-voulantary

rivershark-voulantary New Member

State:
    pa
    Nice story. Have you ever thought about getting back out there? I personally catch plenty of channels on the middle D.

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Having been born and raised in NW jersey, I've haunted the river for everything from the Milford bridge down to the gap. American shad in the spring and muskys in the fall was top of the list. Alot of great water and holes thru that stretch but never caught a cat over 3 lbs but heard of a few that have. Small bait or worms were just terrorized by eels, NO shortage of them. Word has it there might be some blues that somehow migrated up there.

4. Mudcatboy

Mudcatboy Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
  5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds like you need to get back at it. I fish the southern part of the delaware and always do good. Now get back out there! LOL! "WELCOME"

6. megacat247

megacat247 Guest

i think i know where your talking about...there is a dirt parking lot next to a steep hill that goes under the route 80 bridge and the bank has a quick drop off. i tried fishing that spot once during a rainstorm in july with chicken livers but all i caught was an eel and smallmouth bass.