Dehydrated Livers for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Matt Hardbarger(Teasysvalleyguy) on April 15, 2005

Here are my results from the Curing Liver in the Dehydrator for the first time. I will try and give step by step with pics to explain for everyone.

First I took one tub of liver at a time and dumped it into a old Colander to drain the blood off. I had a glass bowl underneath to catch it so I could use it for chum later. Let is sit in there for about 5 minutes to drain excess blood off.

[​IMG]

I would then take the livers out and cut them in half because that is about the size that I put on the hook when I am fishing. I cut all the pieces up that were in the colander.

[​IMG]

Here is the blood that was left after each container, I saved it in a tupperwear bowl so when I go out I can chum with it.

[​IMG]

I then took a small bowl and added about 3 bottles of Garlic Powder and about half a container of Non Iodized salt. I then mixed it up so I could cover the livers. You have to repleanish the garlic powder and salt as it deminishes.

[​IMG]

I then took the livers one at a time and put them into the bowl, swooshing the bowl around to cover the livers completely. Using my hands to make sure they were covered completly.

[​IMG]

I repeated this process over and over until I covered the tray of the Dehydrator. It took one 20oz containers of liver to cover each tray.

[​IMG]

When the tray was full I took another bottle of Garlic Powder and completely coated the livers, in my opinion you can never have too much Garlic.

[​IMG]

I repeated this process until I had 4 trays full that came with my Dehydrator.

[​IMG]

I took the Dehydrator outside and plugged it in. It was set on 155 Degrees, I ran it for 4.5 hours total to get my desired toughness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they came out very well. Good luck if you decide to try and do this yourself. Hope you catch a ton of fish with it.