Degray 4?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by CNTRYBOY, Oct 3, 2009.

Change or not to change?

1. Leave it as is!

2. New Area - Same Body of Water!

3. New Location - New Body of Water!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well folks, it is about that time of the year to start thinking about our next annual Arkansas Gathering! There will be a few changes this year. For starters, I am not sure what all the future holds, so therefore as bad as I hate to say it - next year will not be as much involved as in the past.

But, BOC gatherings are about the friendship, company and making memories to last a lifetime. So, with that SAID - WE WILL STILL HAVE A BLAST!

Next year will be a FISH & CAMP with a main meal on Saturday. Anything else such as 50/50 drawings , fishoff or door prizes will be strictly planned, organized and controlled by those that want to have it and those that decide to paticipate!

SO let's start this off by taking one thing at a time and discussing it. Since Gatherings can not happen without members, then as always - This is YOUR gathering, so I expect to hear everyone's opinion!

My first order of business in organizing this Gathering is this!

1. Do we want to leave this gathering in the same location as previous years? LAKE DEGRAY STATE PARK

OR - Do we want to move this gathering to a different location?

I want everyone's opinion on this and any suggestions regarding this paticular issue in question. I will take note of all suggestions and opinion's as we go along! If we Change it, we can rename it!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Newton,

Personally I would like a little better campground than last years Gathering. However, I didn't mind the drive to it as it was fairly close for us. I am saying this, as I know that Arkansas has some Mountains, and our Truck cannot climb them pulling our camper. I wouldn't mind a little farther but without the up and downs..lol

I know the fishing was terrible last time at Degray and it may have disappointed some because of it. But, Folks like me and Bobbie don't go to the Gatherings because of the Fish anyways.. The weather wasn't too cooperative for us at Degray but we are not in charge of those things..lol. We still had a great time meeting new Faces and seeing our Old Friends again.

You and Trisha went all out and it was appreciated but there is no need to kill yourselves either. Like you stated, about the drawings and such, if someone wants to do it let them be in charge of it. The Hosts cannot do everything and I know people expect them too way to much.

I will be watching this Thread closely for additions or changes..Thanks for starting this Thread to get the Ball rolling..

3. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I was not there last year so really dont know But at WDM this year heard the topic come up several times They said it wasn,t many fish caught at Degray Talk was moving it

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    newt, i'm new to this gathering but i vote for dardenell. good catfish lake and arkansas river is nearby. might get lucky and find some skips nearby too. this is a lot longer drive for me but this is my vote.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    De Gray is a decent place but I voted to move it just for the sake of camping and trying different places. I don't think it is good to have it in the same place every time. For one thing you can't spread the word around to all the different campsites around the State about the BOC if we don't visit them. If we camp in the same spot every year then we will only spread the word to the same folks that aren't members that only visit that park. Not everyone in the state goes to De Gray and not everyone in the state stays at the state park there.

As for the fishing. It will hit and miss anywhere we go depending on the how the weather and such pans out at the time of the gathering.

Like said previous these gatherings aren't really about the fishing as much as getting to meet the ones we have become friends with online anyways. Which I have been blessed by those I have met so far and hope to meet many more and hope to get to see and visit with all those that I have met in the past.

Don't get me wrong with anything I have said here.. De Gray is a nice place to go to get to camp and meet and greet with everyone and it is the closest nice camp area to me but I think that we can also use the avenue of our gatherings to also spread the word about the BOC by having them in or on a different camp area or lake with each gathering.

Just my two cents worth...

Kev

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    newt you know me ill be there if i aint dead but i voted for a new place.id like to see it the same weekend but at wdm.fishing is better for catfish and the lake across the road is full of channel cats for thoes who would like to set some jugs.any place and any weekend but the one falling on or near the 19th is good for me.if it falls on my meter reading weekend i cant come.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    johnnie, do you reckon you could find your way to wdm. :roll_eyes: :smile2: :wink:

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ooooo yeah its my favrite spot dont cha know.

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Many thanks to the input I am getting! Let's keep it going! These gatherings are all about each and every one of us. The friendship and memories made make it worth while no matter how much fish is caught and so forth. You can not find a better group to be around!

My personal opinion is to have it at a lake. Just seems better for family's to be able to have their kids and spouses there and to give them things to do and a confortable place to relax without having to worry about a lot of rocks, steep banks and so forth.

Dardenelle has a very nice park to have a gathering, so that is a possibility.

WDM is a very good place for the fishing, but the steep banks, Rocks, and the mosquitoes makes it very difficult for entire family's to enjoy it. There is no place close to your campsite to bank fish and put out some poles while you sit in your lawn chair and enjoy a nice evening by the water either. Don't get me wrong - I love fishing there, especially if I have access to a boat, but just not my cup of tea when it comes to having the family with me.

Just my two cents worth also. So keep those suggestions coming.

My suggestion is to either Have it on Degray - but farther up the lake at a different camping area, such as Shouse Ford, or another location.

OR

Have it on Lake Ouachita somewhere!

There are a number of other lakes from Central Arkansas down to the Southern parts of Arkansas as well that would be good areas to have a gathering.

Just keep in mind that no matter where or when we have this gathering- it will be entirely up to each one of the attendees to reserve their campsite or make there own accomidations!

10. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I did not not make DeGray so I have know knowledge of the area. I agree with Newt as to a lake being better for family. Dardenelle is the only lake I have camped at and it would be a good place, but where ever it is held I will be there if at all possible, just to meet new friends. I was at WDM which I think turned into a pretty good gathering and met some of the BOC members including ewt & Trish. Look forward to this one no matter where.

11. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well now i do got to admit my love will allways be the river. Just so much more opertunity to land a decent blue. Let it be the arkansas ,ouchita , or whatever . I hear lake degray has some fantastic fishing but have only fished it twice . Last year was a real memoriable boat ride for me on degray :smile2:

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I will vote for Dardanelle as we could fish the lake or the river, plus it is almost guaranteed some good fishing. There are many good camping areas. Even the dam has a great camping area on the south side with the ramp right there.

13. Drk48

Drk48 New Member

State:
    Fort Smith, AR.
    Newton, I really liked GeGray even though the fishing wasn't very good, But another area there might provide better fishing for those who want to fish, and another area on Degray might have a camping area that we could all be closer together instead of so spread out, Just my two cents worth !

14. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Sounds like a good time last year. If I 'happen' to be in the neighborhood I would like to stop by and meet some BOCers :cool2:

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Doing great with the responses! Keep them coming! So far Degray ,WDM , Ouachita and Dardenelle has been mentioned. Am studying other areas as well.

Would love hearing from our visitors from out of state as well - so ya"ll chime in and put in your two cents worth as well. I already saw one post - thanks.

If a moderator sees fit - this can be moved to the Arkansas talk section. That is where i planned on putting it, but accidently stuck it in the Arkansas rivers talk.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I moved it for ya Newt...

17. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    If you do choose to have it at DeGray again this year just a little info on the area. That time of year probably the best fishing is in the Brushy Creek Area of the lake. This lake being so big it is a hard lake to fish. You also have the lower lake with a concrete ramp access. It also has a lot of fish, but it does have a lot of bullheads and pike (pickerel) in it. Edge of Arkadelphia you have access to Ouachita River with a concrete ramp. About 20 miles south you have the Little Missouri River which has a lot of big flats caught out of it every year. You do need a small boat, it has access at Hwy 67 and Hwy 53 going out of Gurdon. Campsites I can't suggest any, has been over 10 years since I camped there. If your looking for good bank fishing and camping together I don't know of any camping area with decent fishing. I did not know about this site or the gathering last year or I would tried to help ya'll last year. With all the rain not much anyone could do. :big_smile:

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Mike- thanks for the information you gave me. You hit the nail on the head about the rain! We experienced more than our share of rain last year at the gathering. But as always - memories were made. We had a nice meal in spite of the rain. looking forward to having a good year this year also. AFTER ALL -IT IS ABOUT THE COMING TOGETHER OF THE BOC AS ONE!

19. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Well, I personally love WDM..... But that is up to the rest of you all. I have back problems but seems to be by the hydro wasn't that bad nor was it by the boat ramp.....Being a banker that is. Seemed to me the boaters that was lookn into the big blues had a place to go, the folks looking for bait of course had a good supply and even the ones that needed a lake front that was available also. I personally have not been to Lake Dardenelle (SP) But of course that is a good option too because of course my son is in Russellville:wink:

20. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    best of both, river/lake. great campground, fairly central to most that would come. Last one we had at dardenell was alright but location wasnt great for bank fishing. That was section C.behind the marina. Next section down would be ideal. my 2 cents.