Deflating Air Bladder

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, May 4, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I've always heard that you should deflate a cat's air bladder when you catch one from deep water. To be perfectly honest, I've never done this and I'm not completely sure how to go about it. Most of my fish come from less than 20 ft of water and I have noticed that I see the fish will release bubbles of air as they approach the surface. So, exactly how does one go about deflating an air bladder. I've heard that you can insert a piece of PVC pipe down their throat to release the air. If that's correct, what size of PVC? How far do you have to push it in? Do you round off the ends of the pipe? I'd really like some details from those of you that have peformed this feat.

Thanks all in advance.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bring the fish up slow and you will never need to "deflate". If you bring one up too fast and the fish's stomach feels hard, then the fish needs to burp. Usually you will hear them burp on their own when the fish is in the net, while unhooking or taking a picture, etc. I catch fish in 50+ and have never had to "deflate". Just take some precautions as you are fighting the fish and the problem is completely avoided!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    This question comes up every year. This is what Bob Greenlee head Fish Biologist for the State of Virginia has to say on burping. I am quoting him as best I can remember." It is not necessary to burp catfish. We shock up 1,000's of catfish from all sorts of depths during our population surveys. We have never tried to burp fish nor have we every seen a need to. The fish swimm back down on the own after being shocked. In fact the practice of putting tubes and hoses down their mouths into the stomac in an attempt to burp can actually injure the fish". In a nut shell, DON"T DO IT!

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I've never had a problem with the cats I've released until just this last Tuesday. I hooked a 5 lber in 30 FOW and when I released it, it just spashed around on the surface. It was obvious that its air bladder was keeping it from going back down. I always thought I would injure a cat more than help it by trying to deflate the air bladder but this poor fish just couldn't make it...that's the reason for the question.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Generally i enjoy the fight and bring them up slowly, specially if fishing in deep water. There has only been a couple times that for whatever reason the fish came right up to the top too fast. On the occasion I've released a big cat that couldn't go down on his own. In those times, I've pulled anchor and went after the cat, either putting it in my livewell which is equipped with the akwa-Lung and that has worked, or I've slid my hand down and spread my fingers apart then the air released, but only did it as a last resort.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've burped them if I pulled them out of 30 plus feet of water in the winter. Less than that you should be ok,a 3/4 inch pvc tube about a foot long will do. Last winter I pulled a 45lb blue out of deep water and after releasing it it wouldn't go down so it was easy to net it up and burp it and it was fine after that, just be careful. That cat came out of 50ft of water.

7. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    While we may be concerned seeing the fish seemingly struggle around up top, according to the most knowlegable fish expert in Virginia, it is not neccessary and in fact, burping can harm the fish. Don't do it. They will balance out and go back on their own. Think about it. Catfish in a cooler if kept slightly damp will live half a day. Almost have to put an ice pick in their brain to kill one. If the best of the best says don't burp,,,why would anyone burp?

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Every once in a trip over the mountain my ears simply refuse to pop.

Man, that really hurts! :sad2:

Please, keep those PVC pipes away from me...I'll be fine after a while! :wink:

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I guess I could just get the catfish to chew bubblegum :smile2:. I'm almost sorry I asked the question. :embarassed:

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Aw, c'mon Chuck!

You are a well-deserved Hall-of-Famer. You better get used to the occasional ribbing, all in good fun. :tounge_out:

Besides, I have really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. Thanks for creating it!

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I don't mind the ribbing at all and I take it in the nature it was intended...always enjoyable.

It just seemed that I opened an "old wound" of sorts and that wasn't my intention. I have learned something though...I guess that in itself was worth it.

Tight lines.

12. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    No old wounds and if I answered too harsh,,,,,my humblest appologies.

13. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    No apologies needed...it's all good! I'm cool if you're cool so we're cool!

Tight lines.