Defense load for .357

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by brinley45cal, Oct 1, 2007.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im getting a .357 for my birthday and ill be using it for home defense.i use my semi-autos for carry.any suggestions on a good defensive bullet? and what grain?Or should i use .38 specials?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have mine loaded with snake shot. Don't want to put any bullets in my neighbors house.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    You definetly (how ever you spell it)want those kind that shatter on impact..they will kill a intruder but the most important thing is if you do have to shoot that you don't hit your loved ones in the next room..Even a round nose .38 will penetrate the sheetrock and hit someone else..I want to call them blaser or glaser safety slugs..

4. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I have always kept mine loaded with 125GR Speer gold dot JHP for as long as I have had it. Those Dakota safty rounds look like a good investment though. I know my gold dots will rip an intruder in half but it would keep on trucking too. I think it would be nice to have the added peace of mind that the safty shells would provide. Thanks a lot BLKCLOUD!!

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The glaser blue is a good choice, and the sky marshalls are using mag-safe.
    Pre-fragmented rounds.

6. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well does anyone know how deep a round should penetrate to be effective?

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Think fellas been tossing that one around since David took out Goliath.
    Do ya know why David picked up 5 smooth stones?....Goliath had four brothers.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    .38 special in hydroshock should do the trick. If your worried about going through wall get a .22 with hollowpoints, a full clip will do the trick. :wink:

9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    very funny:smile2:.ill have to remember that one

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    There is a company called Sinter Fire that makes a home defense load that turns into powder after impact. If this is not what you are looking for, at least look at these, they are a really neat load. Blue Glasers are a good home defense load but have shot inside the bullet, if I'm not mistaking.

11. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    All round protection load I prefer is the 38 Special 125 grain +P...they have a very good rating and I like the control with the 38...125 grain.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The Glaser blue is #12 shot, and the silver is #6 shot. It was found heavy leather jackets, winter coats made the blue less effective. The #6 shot unit will make it's way thru a coat. New York cop I met said the first Glaser incident he responded to ; thought it was a shotgun wound. They are very light, bullet wise, so point of impact is different. Need to see how your gun shoots em. But I'm a big believer in them for safety sake.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    on the road i load 158 grain hollowpoints, handloaded from a guy i know. in the house i load 110 grain hollowpoints. at 20 yards the 110's would not penetrate an empty propane cylinder, the 158's blew right through both sides. i have heard great things about glasers, but have not shot them. i know somebody who shot an aggressive dog off his porch and they smacked it flat, but none of the round passed through. sounds like good enough energy transfer to stop a human.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's not really a definitive depth as every bad guy will be different. Between adrenaline, drugs, size, and just pure meanness, you can't use a formula to determine what it will take to stop an assailant. If I'm trying to protect myself or my family, I wan't to make sure I use something that will hold together, penetrate to the vitals, expand and transfer all the energy into the target. In actuall shootings, the gold dots have been the best performers in this area.

Realistically though, a handgun is not the best choice to use as a defensive weapon. It's mainly for convenience for when I have to carry but can't carry the 12 guage.

A good rule of thumb for me is, the faster you let blood out and air in, the faster the fight will be over!

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've heard some awesome stuff about glaser safety slugs, I believe that they are what I need to keep from hitting the neighbors. A guy was playin around with a 12 gauge shotgun, the slug went thru 3 houses, in one a guy was in his recliner reading the paper, luckily he was reclined.

I like the glaser safety slug, for that reason. I like to stay in practice so that I can take a guy out who is hiding behind my wife. I don't look forward to doing it, but I figure if the first round don't put em down, it will give time for a well aimed second and third.

I once cut the barrell off a 12 ga, still legal tho, with 7 1/2 shot at 20-30 feet, it will take out a doorway, so although its light shot, it puts lots of holes in something

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We've shot Colt .357 Pythons for many years. Keep them loaded with store bought 125 GR. HI SHOK JHP. But after reading this thread I'm going to be checking out the Glaser ammo. I reload so we shoot 357 or 38 SPL with lead bullets for target practice.

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I reload my .357 with 158gr hollow base wadcutters upside down, hollow base up for short range home protection.

I had to shoot a rabid dog with one once... he dropped to his knees and died with only one wound where the bullet entered and exploded in it's chest.

The shell was loaded with red dot powder, but I don't remember how much... only that it was a slow round and not very loud.

I use a 20ga auto as a backup...

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not a handgun projectile expert. I think black talons would be good because of good expansion, and not too much penetration. JMHO.

19. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Check with Double Tap ammo, www.doubletapammo.com. Working in Law Enforcement I've seen my share of wounds and believe it or not its pretty hard to stop a person that is 150% set on killing you, been there done that and we carry 230 grain federal hydrashock .45 cal. Anyway, I would stick with the 125 grain Gold Dot JHP for your .357 mag. If you're not sure about how well you shoot then get to the range and get some shooting in, focus on fundamentals until you get acurate. When you can shoot accurately with no stress, try doing some pushups or run 50 yards then try and shoot the target at 7-12 feet. Under real life "kill or be killed" stress you will have a fast heart rate, tunnel vision, fight or flight, and you don't want to lack confidence when it comes to making the shot count. Sorry, just been in 3 shootings and there's no real way to describe what happens to you when you get tested like that. Stick with the JHP ammo simply because it will deliver the shock and energy to help put your target down allowing you more time to move or find cover. May get a one shot stop but those are rare unless you're watching TV. I carry a .357 sig off duty and really like the double tap ammo and the prices are reasonable. Hope this helps! Chris