deer track charts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flannelman, Jan 28, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

does anyone happen to have a conversion chart to find out how old a deer is by the tracks?

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    flannelman

you can not age a deer by its size or its length of the tracks I don't care who tells you there is only one way to age a deer and thats by the bottom jaw bone . I hope this helps you some.

The only thing you can tell is a fawn from a adult deer track.

You will also have people tell you they can tell a buck by the track this is not true either, females do have dewclaws on there feet some have just as long as a buck does, and I have been around alot of deer that make tracks of a buck as I have watched the deer make the tracks that were does.

3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

that actually does help me a lot. i didnt not that. thanks for that information man

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Any time, it is a big thing that most people are taught that no one can ever prove to them about it, with deer lower jaw bones I can show you how to age the deer and be right on target.

The same way with black Bear there is only one way to age young bear, thats by hair length, and after the bear hits his first year you can age them by a tooth that is next to the K-9 tooth of the bear, this tooth there is no rime or reson for it to be there except maybe keep the K-9 in line.

The tooth is extracted and then is soaked in a acid solution and the tooth is cut in half and then it is looked at under a microscope and they can count the rings on it just like a tree for the bears age.

5. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you need to know age before a shot you can go by the back. An older mature deer will have more of a sag in his back usualy and have a shorter fatter neck. They are like people the miles start to show.