Deer Tags for La.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by randallewis, Aug 24, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Has anybody seen this? Looks like the tagging system will be suspended for up coming season. Problems w/ the Automated License System. They will make final decision Sept. 6 But looks like its a done deal.

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I haven't seen that, I talk to one of the ladies in Minden, the other day, she said every thing was set, and good to go. Not sure what happend.

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    They are having problems with senior & lifetime

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Big article in Sept. issue of La. Sportsman. Moreland said he recommended the suspension of the rules to the commission and expects the proposal to be approved. Commission meets Sept. 5. Moreland is retiring at the end of Sept.. Right Ersel I think a problem getting the Senior and Lifetime members license to the stations. Guess we will know in Sept.

Where do y'all hunt?

5. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Is it just me, or is the LDWF, just not real bright, when it comes to makein changes?

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I think all this was Morelands idea. He is a big proponent of killing less bucks and a shorter hunting season. I saw one article last year where he thought we would eventually go to three points on one side for one tag. Want effect our club we shoot six pts or larger. Lets see how the new guy does.

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    We went to 3 points on one side this year.

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    We have been on six pts or larger for about 6 yrs now. We can't see much difference. You need to take out those 2 1/2 yr old spikes to help make it work. On our club the first mess up costs $50 the second cost $100 the third is $250 and you get on probation. Last yr at almost dark during gun season I shot what I thought was a six pt. Wrong $50 for a five pt. During dog season we were supposed to be running a big rack buck. It came by me and all I could see was horns so I ground checked it. Wrong another 5 pt. We are DEMAP and we let the kids shoot anything.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think that kids should be able to shoot what ever. They don't get the same amount of time to hunt, and it's not right to make a kid sit there, and watch spike, after spike walk by. I agree with you on takein out the older spikes, I've killed some old spikes, that had almost no teath, and still some the guy guys on the lease got mad.

10. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The tag system is definately here. I just got mine the other day with no problem and I have a lifetime liscense. Just tell the person behind the counter and then a 2 foot long receipt prints out. I think it will only work for honest people anyway.I do like the idea that we can take does whenever instead of the doe days we used to have. Of course I don't mind taking a couple does to eat then hunt for the big boys after.Seems like they would never show up during doe days or it was too hot for me or the deer on those days.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Those tags only keep a honest man honest, if you don't bump into the boys in green, what good are they.

12. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    As far as spikes go let em go.If you want to shoot a deer shoot a doe. I used to hunt a place where you have to shoot 8pt 15" inside or better. At first it sucked letting the little ones walk, But those spikes turned into big bucks if there is enough nutrition.We started putting minerals out in February and planting food plots,and you wouldn't believe what we see now.There are some very nice bucks killed every year off this place.Trust me on this. I do agree about Killing the big heavy horned cow horns but of course that would cost me $250 so i just as soon shoot a nice fat doe if you are allowed to, they sure do eat alot better.If you mess up again it's $500 and a third time $750 and you are kicked out.This will keep you from pulling the trigger too fast for sure. As far as the youngsters are concerned they get to shoot one buck of there choice if its a first buck after that it's big boys or does and their parents or guardians get fined. Of course there might be 30 to 40 kids that hunt there during the season and they all can't kill a buck every day, we're defeating the purpose of growing the small deer into big bucks. I haven't met a kid yet that dont mind killing a doe. I don't hunt there much any more I hunt family land now in Mt. Herman, La and just shoot a couple does and if i see a nice buck that is big and mature I'll shoot him in a heart beat but mostly let the little bucks walk.

13. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with you 100% but if you just happen to meet up with one it would be best to have it or it could cost you enough money to buy some pretty ribeye steaks or worse yet a few years without being able to hunt. That card thing last year was a joke i know of some people that would fill it out just in case one of those green boys showed up. They would fill it up then when it got full throw it away and start another one. The tags will definately keep this from happening because you are only issued one set per individuals license. But then again they could just fill out one and never do another , but you are also supposed to call in within 72 hours of the kill. Then on the tags you don't put it on the deer you attatch it to the carcass untill it's processed. So if I deboned the deer after skinning it and put it in the ice chest it is technically processed.So technically i dont have to tag it unless going from the camp to home to say where it came from but just as soon fill it out to keep from getting a ticket.CYA It' only works for an honest man and someone is always watching. JUST LOOK UP!!!!

14. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Moreland said the tagging system was designed to give the DNR instant information on the deer and turkey kills and not have to wait 1 1/2 yrs on voluntary info. The tags are not attached to the license. When my wife and I got our hunting and fishing license, she just turned and handed her tags to me. So go figure. We are still DMAP on our lease. You can kill 10 does and it doesn't count against your tags. AS long as you have them recorded on the DMAP book. Typical La. DNR thinking.

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I know that card thing was a dumb idea. I think it's gona be a good thing with the tags, most guys I know will fill their buck tags fast, then thye aint goin to sit just to kill a doe, well thats what the guys on my lease are sayin, I'm all for it. That will give me most of the season, all by my self. That's if these guys stay honest.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    My nephew was tell me the other day, that they only had like 10 doe days this year, he was all depressed. I told him it was'nt to long ago that we only got 2 doe days each year, and that was opening weekend of dog season. He looked at me and said, that must have sucked. What made it worse for me was I go to church, so I only got one doe day. Oh well thank GOD for doe tags.