Deer stand paranoia

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by atvracer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    So yesterday and today I was getting the heevie jeevies while up in my stand. It is one of these 15 foot deals you get from the sporting good stores. I kept feeling like I was going to fall out, today it was so bad I had sweat attacks and panic before daylight broke. I had to get out of the stand both days and sit on the ground. Yesterday I had a decent 8 pointer along the hillside where I was, but since I was sitting on the ground I could not see the body enough to get a shot. Today I saw 3 more deer and couldn't see them good enough to determine sex. I went back later today and took the last ladder length off and now it is more like 11 feet and I feel much safer. This stinks, a couple years ago all the sudden I started having a fear of heights. I suppose this is what is going on. I also use home made 12 foot ladder platforms made out of 2x4 that I feel even safer in. Just wondered who else experiences this and how high your stands are. When I hear people going 25-30 foot in the tree I can't imagine how they do it.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hate heights! However, I love deer hunting. I had a hard time getting used to hunting from a stand. My stand height varies depending on the situation, but I go up 25-30 feet all the time. A safety belt is a must! No deer is worth dying for.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try the extra wide stands or the 2 man types around 12 to 15 ft. It also helps if you enclose em some like with the cheap burlap camo ya get @ wal-mart just wrap around the tree and secure to the stand with zipties. Wife has a fear of heights so the wrap around makes her feel more relaxed. Also get ya a extra ratchet strap and secure the ladder tight with the extention bar cuts the shaken down to 0 when ya climb one. Also tighen the top strap a few clicks every time ya get in it to keep it snug to the tree.

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I run my tree climber up anywhere 25-40 ft for gun hunting and no higher than 25 bow hunting. Heights never bothered me and I like sitting up there on a windy day swaying back and forth.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    ill be honest with you i have no fear of heights in my everyday life, or whenever i am at work or camping over a cliff or anything what so ever. Except when i am in a small tree stand, especially a store bought stand. there is something about a permanent stand that i feel safer in. i am a rather big guy and i have to say i think the bigger the stand and the sturdier the better i feel.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm 6'3" and 200#. I got an API Grand Slam climbing stand. It's the "Lazy Boy" of tree stands. I have no problem spending 8-12 hours in it and always feel safe.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got one of them cheap 15 ft ladder stands, but I only use about 10 ft, just to get above the brush. problem with a stand is it limits shooting field. Hard to get at something behind ya, and I'm right handed, hard to get at something approaching from the right. I use a safety harness. I use the brace and tie the stand to the tree, then climb up and use a rachet to hold it to the tree on top. I can tie the ladder sections together, and tie the seat portion to it, then take a length of rope and make pack straps and carry it on my back like a pack. Its ok except in heavy brush when it gets caught on everything. I'm considering making one outa 2x4, but I tried that once and they get heavy.

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if your not using a safety belt or harness you should and it makes you feel a lot safer.

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Besides the good advice of using a harness, if you are not, you might also want to try covering the grate(or tubing). Sometimes it's just a situation of mind over matter. Being able to see the ground that far under your feet can possibly add to the problem of feeling unsafe.

If it's a solid bottom, then the only other great idea was to put up some burlap blind material.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Not to make you feel any worse but I hate commercial made stuff and don't trust it,I'll use camp chairs for an example,I don't know how many of those fold up accordian stlye chairs I've busted,they may be rated to 350 lbs but the damn things fold up and break under 250 easily,not good!

Get a sturdy stand and a safety harness. then set it up before season at home,start at 8 or 19 foot high climb into it and sit for 15 minutes every day till you feel comfortable,add a couple feet of height and repeat till you feel safe on it at higher altitudes. I used to be scared of heights bad,took a job putting up steel buildings when I was younger,after about two months I was up there walking 4 and 6 inch I-beams 60 to 80 foot up like I was born to it. started on low stuff and worked my way up till standing on a 4 inch wide peice of red irom frame 80 foot above a concrete floor didn't bother me,i would get a aderenaline rush from it and scare the other guys with my high wire antics. Now after so many years it would terrify me if I tried it now,just get used to the height before hand,just think of it as part of your hunting preperation.

11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i have always been scared of heights but i love to deer hunt so i deal with it.7-8 years ago i was terrified of hunting out of a stand more than prolly 10 feet.like someone else had said you kinda start getting used to it after a few hunts.i'm a big guy bout 280lbs i have always been more comfortable using 2 man stands or some company's make big man stands.putting something around the stand like burlap gave me a false since of security cause i couldn't see directly to the ground.i now hunt about 18-20 foot up and it doesn't really bother me unless we get winds 20mph or higher,then i start to get a little nervouse.......lol
    Good luck to ya you can do it.

12. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I'm not afraid of heights but I like to feel secure when I'm off the ground. I usually don't hunt but about 12 ft up because I've never needed to hunt higher. I hunt from ladder stands and to add some extra comfort and security we put rails around the stand. We usually make them out of conduit and make the front swing up for access. It does two things: 1. you feel safe and secure with something around you and 2. you now have a shooting rail to steady off of.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Being a SAFE and SMART hunter go hand in hand. I always wear a safety harness while sitting in the stand. I love the HUNTER SAFETY SYSTEM harnesses. There easy to put on and very comfortable. When hanging stands I always use a linemens belt strapped to my harness, so I stay in full contact to the tree. Heights never really bothered me either. I prefer to hang my stands at the 15-20' level. I believe this gives me the best shot angle possible and gives me the advantage on not being detected that much by movement and scent. I know some guys, even my friends that don't even use tree steps. The hunt from Pine or Evergreen trees religiously and climb the branches to hang and hunt from their stands. To me, that's asking for trouble and not worth paying the price for hunting deer. I have a family to come home to after the hunt, so I want to be safe and have sense of security when hunting!

Be safe and smart. Wear a harness!!

14. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    OK it is not paranoia it is acrophobia other wise know as survival instinct. I have no trouble with the height it is letting go of the tree with one hand to shoot while holding on with the other that is my problem.

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good points by everyone. I'll agree, the new 2 man "buddy" ladder stands are much more comfortable to hunt out of. I have also used the burlap fabric around mine; it does give you an extra sense of security, plus it helps to conceal any movement by your hands, etc. I also use the burlap around the edges of my tripod stand, secured at top rail & bottom by zip ties. It helps keep your "stuff" secure while on stand(backpack, etc).
    The only stands I've ever been absolutely terrified of were the lock on type with the stick ladders that you secure to the tree. #1: climbing straight up is very difficult for me. #2: I was scared to death when transferring over from the ladder to the platform. Nope! Sorry! Not gonna do it!
    I have used climbing stands years ago, & I enjoyed them, because you can get up higher than usual.
    Everyone.....Be Safe out there!!

16. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm not a big fan of heights so I use a climbing stand - summit 180 as a matter of fact - the thing I like about it is I have a rail already around myself from the time I start up the tree untill I reach the height I want to be at ( 15 to 20ft ) it's reasuring to be able to be tied to the tree at all times and with the rail if I get tiered and doze off I don't have to worry about falling - I also make sure to set the tether length so if something does go wrong I wouldn't fall any lower then I could get back on the stand - another thing with the climber is to make sure that the top and bottom pieces are tied together with a cord that way the bottom can't fall away when climbing - the one down fall is that you have to find a good tree to climb however the areas I hunt have lots of cottonwoods and it's usually not an issue - even with the use of a climber it does take some time getting used to going higher than you're used to - thru the seasons I've just went to where I feel a little uncofortable each time and the reward has been that I do see and have chances to harvest more deer than before when my typical stand was only 8 to 10 ft off the ground.:wink:

17. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am afraid of heights and built a homemade ladder stand and platform at a height of 15 feet. I put that slip prevention strips you can get at hardware stores on all the steps and on the platform. The main thing is wear a full saftey harness and once you hook it up to the tree, my fear is gone, honestly and I can enjoy hunting. I rig up my harness higher than if you were standing up in the tree, and when you sit on the stand you feel the harness pull a little so as to remind you that you are safe. Great feeling. If you are not good with heights then goto a height you are comfortable with or change your location and use the terrain to help. Meaning, do you have any deep ravines or creeks? I have set up only 4 feet high next to one and by looking down the valley I was actually 20 feet high, but it was only 4 foot to the ground around me. Deer would walk right under me never knowing. Bottom line is go with what you are comfortable with and be safe.

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    At work is use platform lifts up to 36ft and snorkel (boom) lifts up to 60ft, so I don't have any adverse fear of heights. The 60ft boom lift is 4x4.....I just wish they would let me take it deer hunting with me......:big_smile:

19. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I am very afraid of heights! I had a hard time hunting in stands for many years. I have found it all depends on the stand. I finally broke down and bought a decent ladder stand and have had no problems being comfy in 4 years!! I have climbed on some ladder stands that half way up I say, "screw this, I'm sittin on the ground!!:smile2: The only mods I did were to ratchet the stand to the tree in two places and add the camo burlap (just to conceal movement).
    Here is my stand:
    http://shop.biggametreestands.com/product.php?prod_id=13&cat_id=3