Deer stand/Ground blind

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Arkansascatman777, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    2 of my uncles called me last week and wanted to go squirrel hunting this past Saturday on 1-12-08. Instead of hunting I decided to re-locate one of my climbers that I leave out year round while they were hunting. I found a spot that this year has a lot of good buck sign in the area. This is a picture of it, it's just an old cheap stand that if someone decides they want it they won't be getting much LOL.

[​IMG]

I went then to another area I have hunted for about 7 years now and have seen bobcats,cyotes,deer, turkeys, and tons of squirrels over the years. I built a ground blind at this location when I first stated hunting it and it didn't take long til the wildlife in the area didn't pay any attention to it. I think it's got now where they use it for a land mark:smile2:. Theres a well used bedding area up the hill from it and a shell bank below it that stays littered with deer tracks. It sits on a draw and is a natural funnel for deer traveling from feeding to bedding areas. I have a couple more stands like this located in different areas and they work great and they are FREE:smile2:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the view sitting in the stand

[​IMG]

This is the last view a few bucks have had over the years.:eek:oooh::smile2:

[​IMG]

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This year I aquired a spot just like your talking about and am gonna try it next year:cool2: Just wasnt ready this year

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Looks like a nice setup Johnny. I love setting at ground level and watching the action.

P.S. I am jealous... No snow on the ground!

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like that setup. just enough to conceal your outline and movement (like sneezing at the wrong time-lol).

i noticed your shooting stick, is it collapsable? do you like it? where did ya get it? i have a buddy that carries around an 8' piece of quarter round wrapped in camo tape for shooting squirrels he swears by it for taking free hand overhead shots.

5. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

JD, It is collapsable. It goes from about 2 ft. out to 60 or 62 inches. I bought it while we were in Kansa hunting this year. So far I really like it, I don't hold a gun as steady as i used to free handed. Comes with age :eek:oooh::smile2:. I only head shoot squirrels and i got to where i would have to use a tree to make sure of a good shot with the 22 magnum. Its perfect for tree rats and for longer shots hunting deer in open areas. The local sporting good stores around here sale them also. Theres all kinds of brands but this one is sold by bushnell.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks! i am gonna look into that. ive noticed that im not as steady free handed anymore either, mostly due to hangovers. jk

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    shootin stick? is that the same as a smokepole?:crazy:
    wheres the reel on that rod you have in a coupla pictures?:sad2:

I do envy your stand placements! Good Job!

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Looks good to me.The only thing i would do is make your ground blind circle behind you or all the way around except a spot to get in,your a little bit to exposed on the backside.Other then that looks like a winner.

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    James, i've hunted that spot for 7 years and have only had one deer come in from the back side. I shot him left handed :smile2:. All the game in the area use the draw in front of me for a travel route.

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    777 I have never thought about making a natural blind like that. Something so obvious overlooked. I keep looking at the ones in Cabela's and other magazines. I like what you made in your pics. You just saved me some $$.
    Looks like a good wind break too.

11. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I hunt about 30 feet in the air most of the time. But i do alot of bowhunting. My friend makes homemade ground blinds like that and hunts them. He does the same thing you do. Except he throws in some little cedar trees. So if deer are downwind of you they dont smell you, they smell the cedar. And cedar is pretty thick so it keeps the wind off of you. That might be a thought for you too.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sounds like you have them pinpointed,it helps to know the area well.Thats why scouting is so important.Man i dont know if i could shoot left handed or not,a pistol probably, rifle i doubt it.Thats great that was a good idea to make that.

13. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

James, you've heard of the monkey and the football, Thats what I probably looked like trying to shoot left handed but it worked:smile2:.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I shoot enough targets left-handed to have at least a passing familiarity with what I need to do. It's time well spent...turkeys are notorious for coming in on your off side.

Nice setup.