Deer scent

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by stinkbaitman, Sep 15, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    does anyoune know how to make a homemade deer attractant that doesnt cost 5 bucks an ounce? I like to put a little on the vanes of an arrow and shoot it into the ground next to a trail so that when a deer comes by he'll stop and take a sniff and get curious as to offer me a shot but it seems like there is no cheap deer pee of anything like it

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Free scent!!! Here is a trick I use!! But make sure it is legal in your state first. Hundreds of deer are killed each year on highway. During the rut get you some road kill doe urine!!! Also each year get ya a doe permit and keep urine its free!!! Deer also love sweets go to grocery store and buy a bottle of apple cider or anise make your own scent attractors out of film canisters and cotton balls!!! These are just some of free stuff you can do!!! I refuse to pay for anything off the shelf when i can get or make it for free!!!

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Once saw on the reality show 'Surviving Nugent' (I think) and Ted tried to make an animal rights activist extract urine with a hypodermic needle from a deer that he had shot. If Ted does it, I'm sure it is worth doing. I wonder though if the store bought kind has some sort of preservitives in it, or whatever? If fresh is used, what is the shelf life???

4. redticrunner

redticrunner New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    In the past I have used a hyperdermic needle to extract doe urine from a fresh kill to put in a bottle and kept it in a dark cool place. It works good when the bucks are in rut or coming in rut. I dont know about other state laws on that sort of thing so I would check it out first.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm lucky to keep some crawlers in the bottom of the fridge, don't think she's gonna let me put pee there. Just a wild guess after decades of experience.
    The oldest "trick"......from the old timers when smoking was common, was a block chewing tobacco, Apple Jack, I think it was called. Don't know if it's still being made. But ya had to cut off a piece of chaw kind of thing. I used it several times before the cover and attracting scents hit the shelves. It was strong an nasty stuff. Lil bit went a long way, & I wouldn't try and chew it if I was a none smoker. Get a buzz, maybe sick.
    But it really worked. Don't have a clue why. Just spit where ya want em. Also it was a way not to smoke when you hunted. One bad habit for another.
    :roll_eyes:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I suppose you could make you own, literally. There has been a lot written over the years about how a hunter would take a leak in the woods, only to later find deer curious as all get out at the urine on that spot. Not everyone believes it, but it appears most have seen something or other similar.
    I for one, have taken a leak out of tree stands for years and not one time have I noticed that it spooked any deer. Defecating in the woods is a whole other thing and I have seen enough deer high tailing it after getting the slightest whiff. I have actually used that as a way to "steer" deer my direction, by closing off other routes to where they had to go past my stand.

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    cheap effective cover scent and attractant,take a bottle of pure vanilla extract mix it with spring water and put it in a clean plasic spray bottle,thats it.

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Yes, I posted a recipe on the bowhunting forum. I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for me.

9. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Sorry, mine is a scent neutralizer not an attractant.

10. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I experimented with deer lures for years. Here is some of the things that I have found.....
    1) urine will spoil and produce an ammonia smell. I have seen deer turn inside out trying to flee the area from one whiff of that stuff. Collect it, soak it all up in cotton balls, put three or four cotton balls per sandwich size zip loc bag and put in the freezer. Right before you go hunting thaw out a baggie and you have fresh smelling urine.

2) when ya kill a deer cut the tarsal glands off (wear rubber gloves). Put these glands in the freezer also. I use two glands per baggie. I like to punch a small hole in the top of the gland and tie a string thru it so I can hang it on a limb or use it as a drag.

3) do not use the interdigital wax that comes from the tiny hole in the top of the split of a deer's hooves. This is expelled when a deer stomps it's foot in alarm and this smell is used to warn other deer.

I came up with a deer lure that worked better than any I ever tried and I tried a LOT of them over the past 40 years. I tried to market it but did not have enought money to make it sell on a big scale. Deer lures only sell when some big name TV personality or outdoor magazine writer endorses them and they will not endorse them for free. This was told to me by several marketing agents and a couple of these personalities that I approached. Sooooo I just sold some locally. Several formulas was field tested extensively from early season to late season. It never spooked a deer, we had dozens of reports of deer following guys to their stands and of deer coming in and walking straight to where the scent had been applied. A couple of years after coming out with mine it found it's way to a big name video hunter. The very next year he came out with a lure that was a duplicate of mine and had his name on it. Did he copy mine...who knows. Can't prove it and don't want the legal hassles. Too many years ago and water under the bridge.
    You can make it at home and it works. Now remember NO deer attractant works 100% of the time. Deer lures will not compensate for sloppy hunting practices.
    Go to a local deer processor and get, or have all your hunting friends save, fresh tarsal glands from deer. Get some real vanilla extract NOT vanilla flavoring. There is a difference. At Sam's club you can get up to gallon sized jugs of this. Get a bottle of distilled water. Mix one pint of vanilla extract, 1/2 pint of distilled water and four to six tarsal glands....it does not matter if the tarsals are from a buck or a doe. Put this in the refrigerator for one to two weeks. Don't worry about the wife because this lure does not stink. She'll love you for it. Reomve it from the fridge take out the tarsal glands. Put these in a baggie and freeze them to be used later as drags or at a place you want a deer to stop. Bottle your lure and you are ready to use it. Don't ask me why it works cause I don't know. I use it religiously. My hunting partners use nothing else but this. We have used it since the late 80s.
    I used the plain vanilla and water combo and it worked but by adding the tarsal scent to it worked better. Remember this is not a sales ad nor infomercial........I'm just trying to help you in your quest for a cheap deer lure that you wife won't gag at and may just help you kill a deer.

11. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Alan, great info. Your pure vanilla extract mixed with water ( I think it was 20% vanilla & 80% water it might have been 50-50 but i think it was less) is also a great mosquito repellent. I learned about that while putting the blue roofs on houses in Louisiana after Rita and Katrina. There were mosquitoes everywhere. This worked great and doesn't stink like some other repellents.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i like my Tinks 69 Gel.:wink: cant make that stuff so i buy it. after i kill a deer i cut the tarsels off, keep urine, whatever to get free scent stuff. mine as well, itll waste away if you dont take it.