Deer Sausage

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by TOPS, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I ate some deer sausage today, man that stuff is good. Have any of you tried deer Sausage?

2. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never tried to make sausage but I do make jerky in a dehydrator. The seasoning packages they sell at Bass pro and Cabelas are pretty tasty.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sausagemaker.com sells all different components for sausage making. It's worth checkin out if ya wanna make some.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you make your own sausage try heinshon's country store for seasoning. i eat at least 100#s of deer sausage every year. really good stuff.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That is just about my favorite way to eat deer.Can't beat that sausage.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir Sgt. we make it this time of year (after seasons) and eat it all the time, its great for that fishing trip food...:wink:

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    A guy at work brings some everey year after deer season. It's awesome. He brings some that has jalapenos in it. Wow!

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've got about 25 pounds of it in the freezer now and I've already ate about 15 lbs of it in the last week. I love it.
    I've got about 250lbs of venison in the freezer now.
    I'm going to make some venison chilli tomorrow night. ummmmummmm gooood.

:wink::big_smile:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i make my own deer saugage, breakfast/summer and brats in a # of flavors like itialian, beer chedder, and brautwearst. i make snack sticks and deer ham. i get mine from lemproducts.com they have anything immagionable to make em. casings and seasonings grinders ect.... i even made deer franks, yep hot dogs. not to bad.

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    me to!! deer summer sausage stands out among others.

also great with a little nibble of extra sharp cheddar and cold beer :big_smile:

11. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Yessir Veldon you are on the right track. #2 son gets some made in Washington, Iowa. Shares with his non-hunting father. What a great kid!

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Some Like It Hot

Deer Sausage Recipe
    Ingredients for approx. 132 lbs. of deer sausage
    1. 100 lbs. of deer meat.
    2. 32 lbs. of pork fat.
    3. 5 - 8oz. packages of Leggs Old Plantation pork sausage seasoning.
    4. 1 - 1 lb. Container of ground cayenne pepper.
    5. 1 - 13.5 oz. container of crushed red pepper.
    6. Sage
    7. Water

Directions

Mix in 4 - 25 lb. batches. Use the coarse blade for all grinding.​

Weigh 25 lbs. of de-boned deer meat. Run this through your grinder. Weigh 8 lbs. of pork fat. Run this through your grinder. Spread the meat out on a table 2 to 3 inches thick. Spread the pork fat over the meat. Open 2 packages of the sausage seasoning. Out of the first package sprinkle 1/4 over the fat then set aside. ( You will use 1/4 out of this package on each 33 lb. batch ). Out of the second package sprinkle between ½ and 3/4 over the fat. Sprinkle ground cayenne pepper over the fat until the entire top is covered. Sprinkle the crushed red pepper liberally over the top. Pour water over the top then hand mix thoroughly. Spread meat out again 2 to 3 inches thick. Sprinkle the rest of the second package of sausage seasoning over the meat. Repeat the steps above with the cayenne pepper - crushed red pepper and water. Add extra sage to taste. Hand mix thoroughly then run back through the grinder. Cook some up then adjust the ingredients to fit your taste on the next batch.

Top this is how we have been making it and it is really good. You can cut back on some of the ingredients for smaller batches or if you don't like hot sausage.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used to make sausage every year,Yall got me hungerin for it now ,Think I'll have ta find my recipe and make some up.

14. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    venison sausage is wonderful. so is hamburger. but sense deer is very lean if you are going to make it yourself youll need to grind the venison with somethin else i prefer pork because of its fat content. you need the fat or it wont stick and it will get real dry when you cook it. it is deliciouse though and recomend everyone give it a shot

15. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    I love deer sausage better than pork i think

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love me some of that deer sausage. Good stuff