Deer Rifles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by zmoon, Jun 8, 2006.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am looking at buying a new deer rifle. I want to buy one that i can take out west for bigger game also. I am looking at the Remington BDL custom deluxe in the 300 ultra mag caliber. What are your feeling on this gun, or what caliber would you perfer

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a 7 mm magnum that I have had great success with the only problem is it has hurt my tracking skills because they generally dont make it far enough to track. I havent had a chance to try it on an Elk but Im sure it will be plenty of gun if that chance ever comes. One of my brothers has a Weatherby 300 mag and it to me is over kill for whitetails you wouldnt beleive the size whole and the damage it does to a whitetail. just my opinion hope that helps. 777

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    The 30-06 loaded with a 180gr will do every thing that the 300 RUM will do. It just wont do it at the same range as the 300. Most of us have no business shooting at game over 250 yds anyway. Save some money and your shoulder and get a 30-06 or a 7mm Mag. Those rounds have proven themselves for along time on every game in N. America.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Don't forget to figure the price of ammo into your decision. All the power in the world won't help if you can't afford to shoot the rifle enough to put your shot where you want it.

5. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I shoot a 270, thats plenty with the new loads offered in this caliber. Deer,Elk whatever you want to kill, just a matter of getting good quality loads
    :cool2:

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also have a 7mm Magnum, bought it in 1993, and it is one awesome caliber. My brother recently bought one and feels the same as I do now. My second choice would be a 300 Magnum, third the 30.06. Go to any ammo manufacturer website such as Winchester or Remington and you can compare ballistics on any round, this will help you decide. The short magnums are supposed to be the neat new thing but the ammo is way to expensive when compared to how well the normal mag's perform. Chris

7. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    If your set on a 300 rum thats a lot of gun, if it's not set up right. The first thing you need in a GOOD muzle brake and a lim saver kick pad. Unless you are a big guy that gun will kick the hell out of you. If you want a 300 try the 300 wsm or the 300 rusm. I have a 300 rusm and like it a lot, but it is not very popular with the gun shops, and may not be able to find amo for it easly unless you hand load. The 300 wsm is also a good gun and there a a lot of choises for it. Amo is a lot easer to find in the 300 wsm . The bottom line is the 300 rum is a good gun but it is a lot to handle. Good luck let us know what you deside. Cschottfish :smile2:

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree anything over 270 is a little overkill for a whitetail but then dead is dead. With something bigger you are also ready for something bigger. Maybe the important thing is to shoot what we like and feel good about.
    I grew up deer hunting with a shotgun.

9. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Personally, I'm looking into a .300 Whisper for my new deer cartridge. So far, everything looks good and since I reload, it won't be very expensive after I have my brass, which run about $0.30 per.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Here's another vote for a 7mm Mag. I've got one that's laid low many a deer, and I'm sure it'd take an elk down as well. I shoot 139 gr. hornady bullets for whitetails, and it'll shoot 160 gr. nosler partitions extremely well also if I ever decide to go elk hunting agian (didn't get one on the last trip.)

Before you run out and buy a 300 Ultra Mag, I'd shoot one at the range, and make sure you can keep your groups below the size of a pie plate at 100 yards, and I'm not trying to be funny. Those things are loud and kick like freakin' mules. It takes a really good shooter to not anticipate the enormous recoil that a 300 rum is gonna blow your way.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jerrod

11. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hunt with a 270, they're real good guns

12. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    I moved back here last year from Idaho. I have a 300 win mag, and have taken elk with it. works great but unless you will be taking 300 yd. or better shots a 06 or 7mm mag would work as well and would still work for whitetails. the 300's do kick ( i'm 6'3" & 270) so unless you like the kick of a 12 ga 3 1/2 mag, you might want to go with something else.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use a remington 30 06 with 180s

A 308 is also a good all around gun for deer and is easier on your shoulder.

14. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The question is really whether you're looking for an all-around gun or looking for something you can brag about ballistics on. A 7mm mag is overkill for whitetails, but has a good trajectory if you want a round that is a little forgiving if you're off 100 yards on your distance guess. If you don't have to guess, or you restrict your shots to less than 300 yards, a plain old 30-06 is plenty for deer and elk. I have a 700 BDL with a 6 - 24 x 40 that I can dial up the range up to 400 yards and put the cross hairs right on. But if I want to shoot that far, I need to practice more so I can squeeze even more consistently. That's when the price of ammo becomes an issue. If I want consistency at 400 yards, I better being shooting several times a year, at least a box at a time. With the '06, it's about 40 - 50 % less than 7mm ammo. If you limit yourself to a more human 250 yard max shot, you can zero in an '06 at 200 yards, and make minor adjustments for shorter shots or the max at 250.

The other thing I would suggest is consider what you are going to do with this weapon. If you will be dragging it over mountains and through the Missouri underbrush, get a basic 700 and put the rest of your money in a good scope and practice ammo.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got a rifle I bought back in 95 or so and its the Remington 700 VS SF in .308.
    Its stanless, has a 26" fluted barrel and an H&K graphite/ Kevlar stock.
    The custom shop has tinkered on it just a tad.
    I have a 6-24x44 competition sillouette scope on it with 1/8" adjustment per click at a 100. ( not worth a flip hunting with crosshairs the size of a hair unless the light is good).

The gun is capable far more then I am as a shooter but the gun without a doubt compliments my shooting.
    Any high powered rifle you can lay behind and lay the bill of your ball cap on the eye piece of the scope and it remains in the same position after you pull the trigger will instantly make you a better shooter.
    Me and another member on this site shoot together sometimes here on the farm at measured distances using a range finder or either a measuring wheel.
    400 yard 2 liter drink bottles are dead shooting factory 168 grain ammo 8 out 10 shots. That is pretty awesome considering how often we shoot and attests to the quality of factory ammo being produced today.
    And Remington tells me the gun isnt good YET. Wait till you put a couple a thousand rounds through that stainless barrel.

My nephew season before last laid behind this rifle in my front yard one morning never having pulled the trigger on anything larger then a .22 and waxxed a deer quartering away (his first) at a measured 252 yards. I have to admit he is no slouch on the .22 either. he has awards from camp shooting those.
    I watch him shoot and he is calm and collected, his eyes remain open and he doesnt flinch or jump the trigger.
    I refuse to let him go to a bigger caliber and start those nasty habits.
    The .308 is more then adequate for anything he'll ever want to hunt around here.

Its not a toting gun. You find yourself having to duck lower through briar brambles if you have it shouldered because of the long barrel and it is a gun you need to start carrying before hunting season starts just to get in shape to carry it. Its essentially a beanfield rifle and outfitted with a nice Harris bipod.
    Its just a pleasant shooter with plenty of bite and more then enough bark.

My biggest amazement is the difference in what the drop tables say and what the drop actually is. Sighted in at 200 I hold over a 2 liter drink bottle 6 inches at 400. I guess the 26" barrel and the increased velocity from it has something to do with it. So much for the .270 being a "flatshooter". The .270 we shoot has more hold over sighted in at the same distance.

It's the only centerfire rifle I own that I could shoot all day.

We've had all the "heroes" come out here to shoot with us with their 300's and 7mm STW's. They dont stay long. Number one they cant afford to shoot them and second we're shooting 400 yards. They havent mastered paper at a 100 much less golfballs at a 100 yet and probally never will.
    Granted there are those that can shoot the belted cases but far more can't.

there are alot of terms in the rifle world you have to overcome like "flatshooter" or "brush gun".
    I saw a test conducted with so called brush guns shooting through identical patterns of dowel rod. The 30/30 deflected bad through the dowels as did other heavy hitters labeled as brush guns.
    The smaller calibers like the .223 or the .243 actually had less to no deflection through the identical targets.
    That debunked the brush gun theory for me.

As far as a flatshooter, any rifle is a flatshooter if you know and shoot the weapon and learn distances by sight or use a range finder. I have a cheat sheet if I feel I need it.
    I can adjust my scope on the spot elevation wise from 200-500 yards.
    I developed it by shooting the weapon.

It's easy to be sucked into the game by magazine articles and the like.
    The best way to find what you are comfortable with is to shoot some guns.
    Find what is comfortable for you and you'll shoot better for it.

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark, I'd like to know more about your experiment with the dowel rods. I normally consider a "brush gun" to be one which doesn't deflect badly from a leaf or twig. A .223 and other hot, smaller rounds seem to deflect a bunch more for me than a bigger, slower slug when they contact something small and flexible enroute to the target. How did you set up your test?

17. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    one vote 270 it has never failed me

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It was on a gun show I watched once.
    They were dispelling the myths about brush guns and perceived brush guns.

The smaller rounds faired alot better then the 30 cals.
    I know I've been badly deflected several times by nothing more then a twig with my 30/30, 06's, and ,.308.

19. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    OK I'll tell yall a tale, seems like a coupla years ago I went to a mountian state to hunt. I carried my new .270, from readin Jack Oconner I new it would kill, skin clean and cook a grizzley bear at at least a thousand yards, and that on a bad day.
    well I took a shot at a doe standing about 30-35 yrds directly uphill (almost overhead?)
    she pranced off around the mountian. about 2 hrs later another shot at a buck standing at about 75 yrds downhill (this time I used a pole for a gun rest)
    to my amazement he pranced off. (prancing is gettin to me.)
    a hr later I tested the gun shootin at 100 yds on level ground, I missed the cig. pack(not mine) by abt 1/8 in to the right. Instantly the answer hit me. I had bought a flatland rifle and tried to use it in the hills. either that or deer in the mountians are tougher than a grizzle bear,.
    So a word to the wise. make sure whatever you get will shoot streight irreguardless of the terrain.
    last season I went back with a 30-06 and the deer were skeert to try an prance by me when I had that! :cool2: (I didn't get a shot)

20. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've killed deer with a 30-30, a 308 and a 7mm Rem. Mag. None of the deer could tell the difference and neither can I as long as I use the rifles within its range capabilities. (Not to mention MY range capabilities) Keep both in mind. Having said that, unless you go after large bears what is there that a good ol 30-06 cannot do? or a 280, or a 308, or a 270, etc., etc.
    Shoot often = shoot well, how much fun will your Remchester Shoulderstomper be after 20 or 30 rounds of breaking it in at the range?
    Remember, gun magazines are great to read, but they are sponsored by firearms companys who want to sell you a new gun. Nothing wrong with that, just keep it in mind.:smile2:
    Good shootin and God Bless!