Deer Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by PeeDee Cat, Nov 30, 2008.

1. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Need some input on a 25 06 rifle if anyone owns one. Thinking about buying one to deer hunt with. Any coments will be helpful good or bad.

THANKS,
    PEEDEE CAT

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have 2 - 25.06's, 1 is a Remington model 700 the other is a RugerM77. I would say the 25.06 is as fine a deer cartridge as you could choose.It shoot very flat and has good energy for deer size animals. In the off season it will do a wonderful job on varmints as well. My boys and I have taken many deer and varmints with the 25.06.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fishwestpoint also speaks HIGHLY of this caliber. I'll alert him to this thread.
    Bill in SC

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot a 270, but the 25-06 is just as good of caliber in my opinion. They shoot flat and have adequate knock down for deer. It's all about bullet placement regardless of what ya shoot i believe.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I have killed a bunch of deer with my .25-06.

I was shooting a .270 but like the .25-06 even better.

Very fast and flat shooting. Plenty enough for Whitetails.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I never recommend anything under a .270win,yeah shot placment is very important but if it dosent do enough damage you will end up tracking the deer for miles until it bleeds out and dies.When you shoot one i dont want to have to look no more then 10 to 20 yards tops from were he was standing when he was hit,1its easier for me to find,2 your not disturbing anyother deer or hunters around crashing through the brush tracking a deer.I want something i can shoot it with that will drop it in the quickest time possible.Thats why love the .270 win so much they get hit and they only take but a few steps and drop,if they take any steps at.

7. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have taken 14 deer with my 25-06 Sendero and the FARTHEST I have tracked one was about 10yds from the point of impact and that was a 280yd shot on a 200+ lb buck with a 115gr ballistic tip. I also Guarantee that not 1 of them could tell you if they were hit with a .25 diameter bullet or one that is only .02 inches larger in diameter. I have also tracked a 120lb doe for over 1/2 a mile that was shot buy someone with a 300 Weatherby Mag. Bullet placement and bullet choice will put a deer in the dirt faster than a larger caliber will with an OK hit any day of the week. If you are tracking anything over 20yds you need to adjust your hunting methods and learn where to hit them.
    When the 250 savage came out it was touted as the best elk cartridge on the market and it is FAR under the impact of a 25-06.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    There ya have it. If it'll out shoot a 270, it's more than plenty for me. The problem i have with the 270 is the lack of choices you have in bullet weights. Speer makes a 90 gr. bullet but thats as small as there is.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    From what Ive read it sounds like a fine caliber. I think practice and making sure your gun is sighted in is more important.

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    This deer took 2 shots from a 270 then attacked the hunter and it took 2 more shots to kill it. Caliber means VERY VERY little when compared to shot placement. I know of some hunters that fill there tag EVERY year with a 223. I loaded one guy 50 rounds 5 yeas ago and he still has over 20 rounds left and fills his tag every year. 4 deer a year, 5 years is 20 rounds. ALL one shot kills, he has had a hip replacement and cannot track a deer.

Just because it's officially buck season doesn't mean deer will be cooperative after taking a few bullets.

A Missouri hunter found that out recently when a seemingly dead 9-point, 240-pound buck arose and attacked him. Randy Goodman, 49, believed two shots from his .270-caliber rifle had killed the animal, but when he approached, the deer sprang up and greeted him with an antler onslaught the hunter later referred to as "15 seconds of hell."

The deer then attempted to escape, but Goodman put it down with two more shots. Minutes later, Goodman noticed he was bleeding and drove to a local hospital.

He was treated for a concussion and bruises and received seven staples in his head. We hope they also gave him a new pair of drawers.

http://www.asylum.com/2008/12/02/de...-hunter/?icid=200100397x1214578703x1200923213

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Bullet selection and shot placement is the key.

Kip
    What kind of bullets did you load in the 50 rounds for the guy?? I have a 223 and am getting ready to do some reloading. Need a good bullet for it.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Kip, you said it,, shot placement, know what the heck you're doing in the field....

The .25-05 is a long standing classic cartridge that has an excellent history, accuracy,of performance in the field, easy to reload, very versatile in bullet weights.. excellent terminal performance on game. The choice of bullets could put this caliber very easily in the one gun arsenal category for North American game.

13. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all the input. It will more than likely be the 25 06 that will be purchased.
    PEEDEE CAT

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The bullets I loaded are no longer made and I do not even think the company is around BUT there is an EXACT replacement, Ogive and all is the same as the ones I loaded only they are a little heavier than the 50 grain I used. If you are looking for a deer I would look at the 53 and 55 grain unless your barrel twist rate can stabilize the heavier bullets.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If loading for the .223, for deer,,, I'd try and find the heaviest bullet the rate of twist would stabilize,,,, 70 grainers...or at least 62's,,, It'll make a heck of a difference down range,,,,,

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hmmmm, should've added this on the last post,,, Maybe,, Richard,,of .223 Reload fame, is the man to ask.:wink:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the reply.:wink:
    My rifle is a Ruger Mini 14. Will have to research the rifle twist, not sure of it off hand . Just check the twist it's 1 in 9

18. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The 70s would be great but you really need a tight twist for them. A 1-8 is about a minimum for anything over 65 grains. Richard could probably give you a better idea on the load info for them if he has shot them. I tried 5 different loads with the Progressive 50 grain solids before I got a good load. Also many of the guys shots are under 50yds but I guarantee if he pulls the trigger the deer dies.
    The game warden was at the check in station one time when we came in with my deer. The Warder ( a close fiend of my uncles) asked who got it and I told him I did. He asked Clay (The guy with the 223) why he did not get it. His reply was simple, his tag was full. He asked him "Where do shoot a deer with a 223 to kill it every time you shoot one?" Clay without hesitation said "Anywhere you want to, as long as where you want to is in the eyeball". He was joking about it but it was funny when it was said.
    I have had GREAT success with the solids in 223, 22-250, and 243, I have not shot them in my 25-06 because a 115 Noslier is a sub MOA load in it. In the 30's and 35 caliber rounds it seemed that deer are just to soft for them to expand like they do in the smaller calibers. If I was hunting Elk or Brown bear I would use them in my 30-06 or 35 Whelen without a doubt!

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm certainly not sure which twist is the best for the heavier .22's,, but, If I could get 62-70 to shoot well they certainly hit harder..
    Noslers are good stuff...

Past few years,, on antelope and mule deer, i've used 160 gr Nosler Partitions,, on a broadside shot through the airbags,, I doubt if they expand much at all..
    but, one of the reasons I use those, is in case I get a long ways shot on one of them, and Have found even if I shoot one from bow to stern, I still have complete pass throughs on those crittiers..
    Elk are a different deal, as they are about 3-4 times their size.. But, The Noslers act more like you'd expect on the more massive bone and muscle mass..

This year, I hunted in an area that they didn't want us to use lead core bullets,, and used Barnes X bullets, 160's, took a muley with those , a quartering broadside shot, complete passthrough,, minimal meat damage, very dead deer!!
    Have always liked the thought of using .223 or similar with nasty bullets for deer and such.

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I usually use the lighter bullets in my bigger caliber guns for deer. My 308 I use 150grn. stbt and am thinking of going to a 130grn bullet. My 25/06 I use 90 or 100grn ,the 270 I use 130grn.. I think the heavier bullets are designed more for thicker skinned animals like the Elk Or Speed Goat Antalope, Bears and such.