Deer Rifle

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Catmaster, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What is everyones favorite deer rifle? my favorite deer rifle is DADDYS OL' 22 RIFLE.
    :big_smile_2:
    JUST kidding. 243 and 30-30

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ive only got two rifels for biggame same as yours243 and 30/30

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't say for sure any deer hunting I have done in the past was with a shotgun. I have become interested in big rifles and from the charts and other paper I have studied it seems the 270 would be hard to beat when you consider speed knock down power and recoil. This is on paper I may not say this as I gain more experience. How do you find the 243 ? It seems many people start out with it.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I shoot a .270 and my wife has a .243. Both are great guns. Got the .243 for her because it has a little less kick.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Marlin 30/30 with 170 gr. Federal Premium Fusions.........

Have yet to shoot one with it & it get away:big_smile:

6. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I have a Weatherby 7mm rem mag that I use for deer hunting. If I had to pick another to add to the collection it would definitely be the 270.

7. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    my boy shoots a 30 30 and i aslo love shooting it its a very nice gun shoots good.i have a remington 30/06 automatic very hard knock down power,love it...

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Ive always like a 30.06. But i have a marlin 30/30

9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a win. model100 308,and dads win. 32spl.smokey

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    My favorite rifle is my model 700 Remington in 7mm Rem. mag. I've killed several deer with my .243 but the 7 mag gives me more room for error.

st

11. buckshot

buckshot New Member

State:
    kansas
    i like something that has a little bitt more power such as my 30-06 and 243.
    1 shot 1 kill:big_smile_2:

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My favorite deer rifle is my only deer rifle, 30-06. Wouldnt mind getting a 30-30 though just to have one.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like the .30 calibers and I've had several but now exclusively shoot the .308 .
    A Remington 700 VS SF or Varmint synthetic stainless fluted. 26" inch barrel with a Harris bipod.
    When we target practice we start out at 350 yards on 2 liter drink bottles.
    Where we wind up is usually around 500 yards.
    I use a 6-24x44 sillouette scope.
    The reason I dropped back to the .308 was that I can shoot it all day long if I want to and its only somewhere around a 10% reduction of performance of an 06. Even less or about equal with the barrel on mine versus the standard barrel length on an 06.
    I shoot Winchester factory ammo and do very well with it. Seldom do I get a "flyer" from Winchester.

In being able to shoot this rifle as long as I want to without the pounding of the magnums and belted cases I am able to shoot at these ranges at such a small target at 94% with factory ammo.
    Would I pull the trigger on a 450 yard deer with a .308? With mine I wouldnt hesitate. I've spent alot of time laying behind that rifle at long ranges. Something I wouldnt do with a magnum or even the 06.

You have to first shoot what is comfortable for you and preferably something you will want to shoot more then 4 or 5 times and cry uncle.
    My rifle is far more capable then I am but I hold my own only because when I shoot its usually 2 boxes of shells in a session but 5 in a session is what I prefer.

For folks that think a .270 is a flat shooting rifle I debunked the thought that it was flatter shooting.
    My best friend brought his over. We started out out shooting at 200 yards and worked up to 375. I was digging trenches with the .270 holding over 3 inches. Holding three inches over, the 308 to hit dead center.
    We stepped back to 200 yards and were both hitting dead center.
    Rifles are different. This particular .270 was a Winchester shooting the same style Winchester ammo as the .308. Had we used Federal Premium in the .270 it could have improved or even got worse.

There isnt enough difference between the 06, the .270, or the .308 as far as drop is concerned to pick one over the other because of it. But there is bullet caliber to think about. Remember when I said I liked the .30 calibers? I do. That 168 grain piece of lead my barrel is twisted for drops em like a rock.

Happy shooting. I enjoy it.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Mark, I'm a bowhunter and not a rifle expert, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I haven't seen a trajectory table yet that shows a 308 to shoot flatter than a 270. Most charts will show a max point blank range of 300+ for a 270, and around 250-260 for a 308. Shooting sessions with a buddy who has a Browning 308 proves this to me as well. It's going to take a 7mm mag or 300 mag to get a flatter shooting gun, and they can kick your butt if you shoot a lot.(There are a few others as well).

A 270 caliber rifle is perfect for my home state of Missouri(you're not going to have any 450yd shots, and you don't need 160-180 grain bullets to bring down a little ol' Whitetail). The 270 caliber is easy on your shoulder(kicks less than my 12 gauge with 3" turkey loads), and not nearly as loud as the 308.

My 270 might not knock 'em down everytime, but they aren't going very far!

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i would like to add that i bought my 243 a model 788 when i was 17 years old my first new rifle and with my handloads and lots of shooting over the past 20 odd years im not at all worried about useing it on anything up to and including elk but i might want to close the distance some say 100yrds or less but i love this gun

16. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I own and use a 7mm remington magnum by savage arms and a browning a bolt 30-06. I also have a ruger M77 in.223 that I use for varmint hunting. Though this season I have taken a deer and two boar with my over and under 20 gauge and my 12 gauge pump. I have not even pulled the rifles out of the closet because the area I am hunting in is shot gun only. If you are looking for a flat fast round you have got to choose a 7mm rem mag in my opinion. I am not exparienced enough with the 308 to comment about Marks post but I do beleive I watched a hunting show that took place in new zealand where they used a 308 at 780 and 1000 yards to drop billy goats. Everything they had was high tech though, the scopes they topped the rifles with were swarovski. Everyone knows you would be lucky to buy one for under $1000. Truthfully I think you should shoot what you are accurate with. If you aren't accurate with a magnum because you are afraid of recoil then please don't shoot it so you don't wound any game. Unless you put alot of rounds down range you should also think hard about shooting long distances. I can successfully get myself within 50 yards in most terrain without spooking the animals I am stalking. So why shoot at longe yardage if you can shoot closer?

17. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    You Guys Are Lucky.here In Ohio No Rifles Allowed. So I'm Going With My 12ga. Remington 1100 With Lightfield Sabots.must Be Nice To Be Able To Use A High Powered Rifle.

18. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I'm in a tree:
    Browning A Bolt in 7MM/08. 120 Grn Nosler ballistic tips over a load of Varget at 2950 fps

If I am on the ground:
    Marlin model 1894CL in 44 mag. 210 grn Sierra Hollow Cores over enough WW296 to push them at 2000+fps

BUT my favorite Deer "rifle" is my .357 Blackhawk 4 5/8" barrell.
    Handloaded with 180grn LBT's over a stiff load of Unique. Maybe it's more of a "loud bow " (broad-side 40 yards or less) than a rifle, but it's always on my hip during deer season.

19. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    300, 30/30, 30.06 just to name a few. Had on old army rifle of my uncles that was nice shooting, 7.62, smooth. But I guess any of those would would work well. :cool2:

Prolly the one that made me the most nervous was that 300 Wetherby, lol...took quite a few deep breaths on that one. :wink:

20. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm with Stoney....Remington 30.06 auto.