Deer processing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Nov 19, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    even though i do it myself most of the time, i was wondering what you guys pay for processing deer...in s. ohio its any where from 40 to 70 bucks.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    in west texas it is 55-70 for skinning, cut, grind and wrap. sausage is extra.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never paid for this. We make a family event out of it and it takes about 2 hours to do the whole thing. I have heard of many people paying 50 dollars, that seems to be the going rate.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I started using a processor 20 years ago when I didn't have time to do it myself and because I didn't have a good grinder. They were charging $30 then. Three years ago they had climbed to $50. Last year it was $55. This year they went up again, under new management, to $60 and don't do as good a job. Last year I tried a new one that is closer to where I live now, since the old one is an hour and 20 minutes away. I didn't like they way they did them at all. Since I get 6-8 deer a year done, ($360-$480) I have decided to invest next years process money for an electric grinder and a stainless blade for my band saw and go back to doing it myself.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's how you can save some money! Rather than buy an electric grinder (expensive), buy the largest hand grinder you can find. Buy a 12" pulley wheel to replace the hand crank; buy a 2" pulley wheel and put it on an electric motor salvaged from an old washer/dryer/whatever. Scrounge an old pulley belt. Bolt the grinder at the edge/corner of an old worktable/workbench to allow the pulley room to hang over the edge. Mounting the grinder where the outlet is over the table lets you put a bowl underneath; to allow for putting like a big soup pot underneath for grinding large quantities, mount it on the corner and either set the pot on the floor, or set the pot on a box to raise it up. Mount the motor on a board and attach a hinge at one edge. Fasten the other side of the hinge to the tabletop so that the board is at a slight angle when you have the belt kind of tight. Drill a hole through the other end of the board, and through the table directly below. Use a carriage bolt and a wingnut through the holes to pull that end of the board down to tighten the belt. When the motor wears out, you don't have to replace anything expensive, just scrounge another motor. I bought a setup like that back in 1970, and I'm getting ready to set it up again, using the third electric motor.
    Don't forget to get a great big (long) knife to cut those round steaks! My big Case knife got broken, and I don't have the money to buy another like it, so I'm going to try using a small machete.

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    In fact the processing starts at the time you shoot your deer,when or as soon as you can you should clean it, with a garden hose get all the blood off as you can, cause this will cause spoiling of the meat, hang your prize inside if possible the sun can warm the carcass even in cool temps, and to keep away from dogs cats e.t.c. it should be kept in a stable environment like a cooler, if you cant do these things you should take it to your processor right away, that way he can do it for you..never take you deer to some one that doesn't have a cooler...just a few things to help in the harvesting of your game, we have to much money in it to just throw it away....my source is a taxidermist and deer processor,he is also a good friend...i hear this speech all the time....

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The processing place I go to charges, $75 to skin and bone which includes steaks, roasts and ground deer. $25 to cape out. Add 15 cents a pound on boneless trim orders. Of course sausage, sticks, bratwurst, meat loaf and the such is extra. They do a great job on deer meat and they have won many awards on their meats.

8. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Pretty much the same here. With the cost of tags, gas etc. I could never aford to have someone else do it. The wife and I can put one in the freezer in one evening and It is a good way to spend time together. I cut and grind and she wraps.
    I have a cheep ($100.00) Electric grinder that has done over 40 deer so I don't see any reason to spend big bucks on a comercial grade grinder. With a small grinder you have to cut the pieces up before you run them but I can still grind faster than she can wrap.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ive seen guys here in WV charge $50 and on up to 125. Thats just skinning and processing the deer. That doesnt include the sausages and jerky. You pay by the lb for the that.

10. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    I do Deer Processing here in Central IL. and we charge 75.00$ for skin cut wrap and grind.if you want 10% pork shoulder in your burger it is 2.00$ a pound for as much as you need.Salami ,Sticks are complete at 2.00$ per # in 25 pounds size need 20 pounds of deer and 5 pounds of pork to make Smoked sausge and brats are 1.50$ per pound complete.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    $75 dollars seems to be the going price around here with sausage and such extra. I do some of my own also. It usually depends on where I'm hunting and the facilities I have available.

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Timely post. I went to home butchering this year. $80 is the going rate and at the largest processor you had to put up with the most obnoxious and rudest woman I'd ever met. No more. I bit the bullet and bought a grinder (Lowe's $79 with rebate) a paper holder etc. Plastic tubs freezer tape. We've done 2 so far and it's been fun. I'm into my 3rd batch of sausage. I bought Legg's seasoning from columbiaspice.com. It's the best I've found so far.

The hardest part is the weather. We were lucky with cooler temps. But if it was warmer we'd have to hustle. At $24.50 for a tag and $80 for processing plus sausage it wasn't making sense. That's ONLY thing good about a bad economy. Makes you re-think your spending. I figure at 3 deer I'll be ahead of the game. Also gets you time to spend with the family and hunting friends.

Just watching the trash man's reaction when he empties the cans almost makes it worth while.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Legg's Old Plantation is awesome. That's what we use at work, and people come from miles around to get our sausages...:big_smile: I used it to make venison breakfast sausage, and it was fantastic. I highly recommend their spices.

So, the locker here in town is always packed. They typically have 3 refrigerated tractor trailers full of carcasses by the end of rifle season. This year, by the end of rifle season, they had only 300 or so deer brought in. Harvest this year was down from last year, and last year was down from the year before. They say that the antler restriction is the cause. I don't really understand how that can be the total cause, unless people just aren't going hunting. There used to be a harvest rate of well over 80%. As high as 88%, I believe. The herd is healthy. Idunno, I shot a scrub buck last year, in an unrestricted county. That county is now restricted. I'm totally fine with that. I would rather kill a doe than a small buck any day, and if I do shoot a buck, I would like it to be a good one anyways. I don't see why the antler restriction would keep people from going hunting, or harvesting deer. The other factor was that wind. Most people that I know didn't even see a deer.

I process my own deer. Always will. Call me a tightwad. :smile2:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If the weather is warmer you can quarter the deer after skinning it and lay it in the freezer. this will ease the rush caused by warmer tempatures. Hope this helps.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just curious, what do most of you pay for beef suet to mix with your venison to make hamburger (venisonburger)?

16. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    jtrew ...... I don't use suit. I use pork. I watch for a pork sale and buy roasts when they are on sale. I usually get it for a little over a dollar a pound. I like the taste, it holds the venison togather and Im guessing its better for you then suit. Just my 2 cents...

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I concur. :big_smile: Buy pork butts on sale!

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I married into a deer processing family, my wife her daughter and three boys. At the time they were 38, 14,19,13 and 8 in the same order. They never had the means for the whole commercial process and I know that they didn't care it was more fun than work.. It started off with just one deer, but as the years passed it soon grew to more. That was the year that I quit hunting. I only did it for sport and didn't need to go out and freeze just for the excitement or trophy any more, with the boys growing up. And I never did get a nice one! lol. We hung them in the barn/garage then moved them up one at a time to the old summer kitchen. We ground our own meat with Tammy's food processor then added one pound of unseasoned pork sausage to three pounds of venison. The first thing of course was frying butterfly steaks from the tenderloin while we were busy with the rest. There is nothing like eating hot meat while the blood is still on your fingers.lol Some of the meat was sent to be made into trail bologna and was a whole lot cheaper if you de boned it first. I don't recall the prices though. Fourteen years later all the kids have moved out and have good jobs and our family butchering has ceased. I miss those days.:sad2:

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We don't put any additives in at the time we grind ours. The wife uses the groung deer burger for meat loaf and cooking other than just burger. If we put any thing in with it we do it at the time of preparation of the particular dish .

20. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    all you need is a good boning knife a grinder and a summer sausage kit and there is some good eatin'..........RAT