Deer Processing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by softball434, Dec 25, 2009.

1. softball434

softball434 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Where is the best place to go get deer processed in Alabama? Please give me some ideas. :big_smile:

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not know in what part of Al. you are at. There are many processors
    in the smaller towns and rual areas.

3. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In your garage, its a lot cheaper that way :smile2:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's for the sure. The past couple of years, my husband has been processing ours. He's got an electric grinder, meat saws, etc. Everything you need to do quality work, & the best part is, you know exactly what is in your meat....and who's meat it is!:wink:

5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    you got that right !:big_smile:

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yep, we do it ourselves. A lot cheaper, and a lot safer to boot!

7. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Where are you in Bama

8. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'll agree with doing it yourself. I have some deer jerky curing in the fridge right now.

It'll take some cash to get started but the equipment needed will pay for it's self quickly!

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    You really need to learn to do it yourself. When you take it to a processor you never, (rarely) get back the deer you brought in and if you have ever been around a processor's place much you would not like what you see coming in. Some guys could care less about what condition their deer are in. It is not difficult to work up a deer. I have done 3 in one day by myself. If you would like to try PM me and I will tell you how I do it. I posted it on here earlier this year but can't remember where. It is too too expensive to have a deer processed for the amount of meat you get back. My son killed a very big buck, see my photo album cover for a picture of it, and when he picked it up it was in one grocery sack. 27 pounds of meat with bone. He was bitchin' his azz of and I just laughed at him, telling him that the butcher need to make some money and feed his family deer meat too. That buck field dressed 165 and should have made 80 to 90 pounds if done right. I debone all my meat and make minute steak, burger, summer sausage and hot dogs out of it. You will save a lot of money if you process your deer yourself and will enjoy some top rated eating to boot.

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama

I sure what you say happens all the time. I have done my own processing and have taken deer to the processor. I would disagree with you on not getting the same deer back. I have used the same processor for years and he has always done a outstanding job

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never spent a dime having a deer processed,I did the very first at age 14 with help from a friend,And have done my own ever since.

12. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Bill; Not to argue but if you have only used one, how would you know what others do? Here in Indiana, it is accepted that you rarely get the same meat back that you take in. If you have special processing like summer sausage or hot dogs made I know you don't get the same meat back unless you take a complete batch in that is usually 110 pounds of deboned meat. Then you have to request to have it done separate and usually charged a bonus for doing so.
    If you are using a small time butcher that does a few dozen deer in the fall things are different than taking a deer to a full time processing plant. Once you leave that plant, who is to say you get what your brought? Do it yourself and you have quality control from beginning to the end. No dirt, no hair, no fecal matter, nothing that you are not comfortable eating. If you think that stuff doesn't get in there check with the FDA, they allow so much of it in the meat you buy at the store.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I was in High School my dad cut up a couple deer we'd shot. My brother in law is a meat cutter, he has done a lot, so he does it faster. Its not that hard, and one thing is for sure, you know what deer you are getting. I know guys who worked processing deer, and they say when the deer is boned out, its weighed and thats how much ya get back, not neccessarily your deer. Possibly your steaks, and roasts, but not for sure your sausage and hamburger. Brother in law made his own bratwurst last year, turned out pretty good. Not hard to do, and he just does it in his garage and kitchen.

14. softball434

softball434 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks! Maybe I will try that.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I always processed my own but for 11 years now my health has prevented me from hunting. when I want vinison I call one of the local processors and have him to call me when I can pick up my deer. It cost about 1.00 per pound. Don't know who's deer it is but I never did kill my own for that price.

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What my husband has started doing is; when we bring a deer home, he ices it down for a few days. Then he cuts all the meat off the bone, cuts his steaks, backstraps, etc. The rest is all cut into cubes & frozen in gallon bags, stacked flat. Then we will take one day & start grinding all the cubed meat into burger. He buys pork butt roast, & cubes it & mixes it with the venison in a ratio of 20% pork to 80%venison. We only partially thaw the meat, just enough to break the cubes apart to grind. It is then ground twice & bagged. Here recently, we spent one day & got 5 deer processed. And it sure turned out pretty. He also made some venison link sausage that turned out excellent! Our grandson sure was proud to get his 3 deer all packaged & delivered in an ice chest!!:smile2:

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Wesley, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:. I agree with Dorathy and everyone else "theres no place like home" :smile2:.

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good sharp butcher knife, fillet knife, elect fillet kife, saw-zaw, and a ol no 32 hand grinder. I do 1 deer start to finnish in about 3 hrs. I have the satisfaction of no wasted meat. 6 deer down for me and mine this year so far. Saved around $450 bucks min in processing fees. I make my own burger, jerky, and sausage.

19. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We do all of our own processing. You dont need alot of equipment. Hoist and gambrel help. Locking hoist is best. Whetstone and a few knives. Grinder for burger, electric is best, L.E.M. make the best home ones. Mine is 7 years old and has done alot of deer for us and others that borrow it. I hate to say how many it does a year but they are worth the money. American Harvester dehydrator and a jerky shooter for making jerky. I made up 300lbs of burger into jerky the last week with that combo. Old fridge works great for aging/keeping the quartered deer until you can work it up. Email or PM me if you have any questions. Ive only taken one deer to a locker/processor and swore I never would again.

20. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    One of the handiest tools that I have used is a small block and tackle. I can hang a big buck with no problem by myself. If you can't find a block and tackle I have used a fence stretcher to raise them also, they don't have the multiplying factor the B&T have and is harder to raise a big deer by yourself. I also spent the bucks years ago and bought a Hobart tenderizer and it was some of the best money I have ever spent. I tenderize all my steak, run it through twice, one time from left to right then again from top to bottom and if it is tough meat I may do it again to be safe. I have went so far as to run pieces of neck meat through three to four times and some of it was a little chewy, I could still fry it and have a good meal. Of course I usually grind it up for burger or cube it and take it to a meat plant to make into summer sausage and hot dogs. Add some pepper jack cheese to that mix and you have something that is MADE to be eaten with a good cold "frosty libation" if you know what I mean. :big_smile: