Deer processing in the St. Louis area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Tim70, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I wish I could do my own like alot of guys do, but lack of time and knowledge prevents me. So where do you St. Louis area guys take your deer for processing. I have used Davis meat in Jonesburg, a little to far away from me, and I also have used Smokey Ridge in Afton, which is now out of business. Both did an excellent job and very reasonable. I took a deer to Kenricks this week. I am sure they will do a fine job but they are way expensive. Where do you guys take yours. Is there any other close to St. Louis city? An after hours drop off Would be nice as well

2. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    As far as the knowledge of proccessing goes, I got a dvd on how to produced by the Kentucky DNR 2years ago. Don't know if it is still available. Great dvd, I can process a deer in 3 hours after watching this dvd. Check them out at fw.ky.gov and Kentucky Afield.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The below is about a year or two old, but I imagine the prices are about the same now. I've been using them for many years. Call them for directions, it isn't hard except the first time.

D & D Quality Deer Processors
    5471 South Byrnesville
    House Springs, Mo 63051
    Dave & Jean Martin

Standard Processing $85
    Roasts
    Steaks
    Chops
    Tenderloins
    Ribs

Ground
    Beef suet or pork added $1.20/lb

Sausages @1.95 per pound
    Bratwurst
    Sazisa (Italian)
    Country Rope
    Bulk Breakfast
    Cheddar Bratwurst ($2.20)

Smoked Sausage
    Summer sausage ($7.50/stick)
    Jal-cheddar Summer Sausage ($8.50/stick)
    Jerky ($5.25/lb fresh weight)
    Landjaeger ($4.00/lb fresh weight)
    Gunthers ($3.75/lb fresh weight)

Shoulder Mount $20.00
    Save Hide $5.00
    Hides and mounts must be picked up the next day.
    Bone-Out Processing $89.00
    $40.00 Deposit
    $1.00 per day storage after 14 days, disposed of after 30 days.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Not right in town exactly, but you might try Zerna's Meat - they're listed as being in Labadie but they're actually closer to Gray Summit, just a few miles from I-44 at the Hwy 100 exit.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Zerna.Meat.Company.636-742-4190
    I've been buying beef jerky there for years, don't know how their deer processing prices compare to others but they're good folks.

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
  6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Thanks for the replies. At first I was a little put out by Kenricks prices. 89 dollars for processing, 28 dollars for skinning, and 1.69 dollars a pound for grind with beef added. The whole thing cost about 134 bucks. That is a bit more than I have spent in the past. This was bow season so they were not as busy, but they had it back to me in a day and a half. Thats pretty impressive. If I get another I may try another place but all in all I am pleased with them. I still would like to try to do one myself. I helped a guy do one over the weekend at camp. It looks pretty easy. He only cut out the backstraps and quartered the rest. It took him less than 45 min. Seems like he wasted a lot of meat though. I had some neighbors complain about my boat in my driveway this summer. They are really gonna love a deer haning in my backyard. Cant wait to try it. Thanks guys.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Them skinning always gets ya. I usually grind them myself. But, this year I skinned then boned my buck out and took it up there. It was $0.75 a lb to do it. A big savings if you bone it out yourself.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Man I need to open a processing plant, thats Crazy. Half the fun is cutting them up and you know your getting your own meat. I did have to take the clean boneless meat to the locker last year to get ground as our grinder took a crap. I took 170 lbs. to the amish processing place in windsor a they charged me .30 cents a pound to grind and package in camo bags with beef tallow added.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    We have taken boned out meat to the amish in sedalia. They do a bang up job on it.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They did a really nice job with mine Jess. I waited until after season so I knew I would get my own back. I had a bad experience years ago at a well know locker north of bethany taking cleaned boneless meat in after spending hours making sure no hair, grissle, ect. was in it and when I got it back it had bone pieces in some of it.

Only bad thing about the amish is you cant call them to make a appointment and just have to drive up there. :smile2:

They do have someone who calls when it's done though and you have to come get it right away as they wont store it.

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya that is why I like doing it myself, just don't have the time this year. Nothing worse than taking care of the meat, keeping it cold, clean, and bone free, and getting back meat that someone had in their trunk for 2 days:eek:oooh::confused2:. My uncle is a supervisor at a butcher shop, some of the stories he has told makes me glad I normally do it myself.