Deer population out of control

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 30, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here in Iowa the deer population is out of control like in many states. I have heard thru the grapevine they are considering making hunters earn a buck tag by having to shoot 1 or 2 does first then you can purchase a buck tag. Does anyone know if this is used in other states or if it would work?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Here in KY we have zones, Im in zone 1 and you can take as many does as you buy tags for. I think its greatly reduced the deer population around me, which I dont like. I think we only have 10 per square mile if we're lucky. It would have a chance of working if everyone followed it, seems to me some would just say they got a doe anyway. Unlimited doe tags might work too, hunters going for meat would probably like this if they are limited on the number of does they can take.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We also have unlimited doe tags in allmost every county in Missouri. Tags are 7 dollars each. You can buy as many as you want.

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I may be wrong, but I think Wisconsin has the earn a buck system.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm the last person you'd ever call a trophy hunter, but that's asking a lot of someone, to let a really nice, shootable buck walk. Tough hardly describes it.

6. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is a common practice used in MO for the draw hunts on conservation land. Not sure of the results, I for one do not apply for most of these hunts because like was said tough would not begin to describe having to let a great buck walk just because you have not had the opportunity to shoot a doe yet.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    After thinking about it I would rather have the unlimited doe tags than an earn a buck system. Besides having folks feel penalized and maybe even making them a a "criminal" because they might not be able to pass up a nice buck it seems next to impossible to enforce. I think meat hunters would gladly take a few does if allowed along with their buck. Curious if your allowed more than one buck statewide?

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think alot of people pass up the does for the bucks, but that big doe will put meat in the freezer as well

9. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    in missouri you can only get one buck a year with a firearm.

10. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    In Georgia we have a deer season that runs from the middle of Sept to the second week in in Jan. We have ten doe tags and two buck tags. In my area the entire season is either sex. You would think that with this liberal limit the deer herd would be greatly reduced but it is not. Most folks will not fill half their tags. The old sentiment of not shooting does still runs high in this area. I shoot until all my doe tags are filled or I just don't see anymore...which ever comes first. I rarely kill a buck in my area because the number of mature bucks are far and few between.
    I also hunt on a large private tract of land in Alabama that is under the state quality deer management program. Two years ago we were told to kill at least 60 does. That quota was not met so the landowner implemented the rule that you had to shoot two does before you killed a buck.... if you did not abide by this rule you lost your invitation. I shot the first two does I saw....lol.
    I would not like to see a statewide rule that mandated the taking of does before you could get a buck tag. I know what I would do if a huge buck walked up and I hadn't filled my doe tag...I would let him walk but the majority of hunters would not and then they would become criminals.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We have Doe Tags here in South Carolina but not Buck tags. Most guys I know take doe and let many "bucks" walk unless they are huge. We can kill 5 each during deer season but "doe days" are on the weekends.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can see the reasoning of taking a doe or two before getting your buck tag. It's backwards from what I grew up doing, but I can see the sense in it. It would just be difficult to enforce and to pass here. I'm mostly a meat hunter, so it wouldn't bother me any. I usually take the first two meat deer I can get, so I can relax and hunt ole bigun the rest of the year. Two or three deer along with all the fish I'll get will do my family nicely for the year.

There are the people out there though who only hunt antlers, and could care less about the meat. These people will probably drop a couple does, check them in, get thier buck tags, and dump the does in a ditch somewhere! I don't have anytning against trophy hunting, that's what some people are in to. I don't believe in wasting an animal though! I like getting a trophy to hang on the wall now and then, but I've not been able to find a recipie yet for the antlers, LOL. I've got deer on my leases that I've held out for in the past, but filled my freezer first, then went after them.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I can't remember the true ratio but its like 5 Doe for every Buck.

14. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    The area that I live in the buck doe ratio is wayyyy to high....somewhere in the range of 15 to 20 does per buck. We have very little visible rutting activity because of this. The areas I hunt in Kentucky and Alabama are more in line 3 to 5 does per buck. There is very pronounced rut activity in those two areas.

Fewer hunters + more urban sprawl resulting in fewer huntable areas = Deer population explosion!!

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would love to see New Mexico try a change like that. We cant even beg to shoot a doe ,and the population here is like 1 to40 does to bucks ,and all they care about is decimating the whitetails in the N/E part . Thats where the high doe population is ,we need a doe hunt here bad.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm more interested in coming to New Mexico to antelope hunt. You got any places you know of that one can do that? When ever I come through there, locals always make the comment that they want people to come and thin em out. I'd sure like to get in on that!

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I know a few leases around here that they don't shoot does at all, that was fine for a few years, now these guys don't see very many bucks, and they can't figure it out. It's my opinio that you have to kill some does, to make those big bucks get up and move to find a hot doe. With to many does that ole buck just sits there for a hot babe to come walkin by.

18. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    No truer words have ever been spoken.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll second that!

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

The best way is to apply for the public drawing ,all landowners recieve free permits from the game dept. but they are sold to outfitters ,so thats out ,unless you book a hunt with them .Theres a bunch of turbo goats in our state and most ranchers look at them like overgrown jackrabbits or vermin,they are hell on fences .