deer poaching

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catman-j, Nov 15, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    LINCOLN, Neb. – Three Merriman men have been convicted of poaching deer in Cherry County.
    Nathan Chappell, 27, Kip Castellaw, 22, and Ernie Bennett, 57, have been ordered by the Cherry County Court to pay a combined $15,000 in fines and $5,000 in liquidated damages for the Sept. 19 illegal killing of five mule deer near Merriman.
    The $20,145 in fines, damages and court costs are the largest penalties assessed by a Nebraska court against individual poachers in a single, noncommercial case since electronic records were first kept in 1996.
    The men originally were charged with 30 counts each for game law violations, including hunting during a closed season, hunting without permission, hunting with artificial light, game harassment, criminal trespass, and wanton waste. One count of game harassment and four counts of criminal trespass were dismissed in a plea agreement. Cherry County Judge James Orr accepted guilty pleas from each of the men on the remaining 25 charges on Nov. 2 in Valentine.
    Judge Orr sentenced each defendant to pay a $200 fine for each of 25 violations. He ordered the men to be responsible collectively for the $5,000 liquidated damage penalties for the five deer and to each pay $48 in court costs. All three will have their hunting and fishing privileges suspended for three years.
    The case began when five mule deer were shot, with four left in a field to rot, south of Merriman early on Sept. 19. The largest of the five deer, a 5-by-5 buck, was taken into Merriman before sunrise and left hanging on display on a flatbed trailer. The buck had an inside spread of 19 ½ inches. If the buck had measured 24 inches on the inside of the main beams, a mandatory $5,000 fine would have been assessed for trophy penalty status.
    Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Conservation Officer Heath Packett of Gordon investigated the case, with assistance from Conservation Officer Dan Kling of Sioux County.
    "The Law Enforcement Division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission would like to commend the private landowner where the illegal killings occurred, as well as Cherry County Attorney Eric Scott and Cherry County Judge James Orr for their work on this case," Packett said. "It is extremely gratifying when landowners, prosecutors and judges work together with law enforcement to bring poachers to justice."

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    They should have received some jail time too,but I bet they think twice before doing that again,their hunting and fishing privleges should have been gone for more than 3 years too,I guess if our courts let drug dealers,wife beaters, and the rest go without much punishment I can't expect any more for poachers.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009

3. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well that sucks....but the hard facts are even worse!!!!! merriman is my neck of the woods....things are different up there....the closest real city is valentine which is over an hour away....so to say it's backwoods would be an understatement....those guys probally killed more mullies than that...

you think they would just take their guns away....that would be the only thing that stops poaching deer up there.....where ranches are bigger than small towns there is just to much private land and small town justice to protect the deer...

I have seen 1st hand...3 mullies in the back of a ranch truck 3 days before season....well at least these guys killed for food and not for fun!!!!

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow they got off way to easy for poaching, And only a three year slap on the hand till they can hunt again , look's like those law's need some serious update's!!

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    The part that pizzes me off is the waste,shooting them then leaving them to rot. We actually have way to many deer in this state but thats no reason to shoot and leave them lay,thats the game and parks commish's fault for not allowing a larger harvest,and the landowners fault for not allowing hunters on their property and then complaining about too many deer. Not a reason to poach. Now if it was one guy shooting meat for the table to feed his family I might have a different veiw,if he only took what was needed and used the meat.