Deer Ownership

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 8, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a question on this. Who owns the deer? The state charges people to hunt them so do they own them? When a deer is hit by a car the insurance company pays so do they own them? The farmers feed them so do they own them? Now I'd say the people collecting to hunt them should pay for the damage they due to cars and crops but thats just me. What do you think?

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Will... You do know that this one could end up getting moved to the High area... I'm just gonna sit back and see what happens... hehehe

3. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Well i gotta say that I agree w/ ya also Will!! Yea think im gonna sit back and see what stirs on this as well!!

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is a simple question with no accusations!!! Why does anything with just a tad of controversy to make the mind sit back and say "I wonder get moved"? It is just a simple question. Im not trying to start anything!!!:eek:oooh: I didnt even ask for a recipe like Post Beetle did on a endangered species!!! Roflmao!!!:smile2:

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Will, thats a hard one. Are we talking about free range deer, high fence deer or the ones at the zoo. lol, I was just kidding. I would assume they would belong to the land owner while they are on their property. I guess it would depend on the possession laws where you live.:wink:. But I don't think that anyone should own them.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Big B so if I feed (deer stealing my corn)the deer on my farm and I decide while they are on my farm to hunt out of season is this wrong? Or to be politically correct I decide to harvest one while they are chewing on a stalk of corn I cant sell, now am I wrong? If I go to court of my peers would there be 12 farmers as jurors? Just wondering?

7. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I's say they belong to God, because we sure don't own em. Ya, here in ohio you can kill them on your own land for free, but you still have the bag limits. The state doesn't own them, although they are sure trying. If they were endangered the goverment would sure own them. My uncle showed me a bald eagle nest across the river. The government wouldn't even let the farmer on his own land. What BS.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If the state doesnt own them or feed them how can they charge us to hunt them? I would say that would make them owners and responsible to pay damages to people who hit them with cars. If I had a cow and it got out and ate 10 acres of my neighbors crops I would have to pay. Here is something I dont think people see. I will use Iowa as a example 97% of all land is privately owned. There are over 1.5 million deer so that would mean that 45,000 of these critters reside on state land. So the state returns back to those who suffer damages all but 3% of the liscense fees. By this thread I am hoping to show people why it is getting difficult to get permission to hunt on private land. Farmers are getting sick and tired of footing the bill on damage caused by deer as so are people in the metro who hit them on a daily basis. Do I want to wipe the deer out? Heavens no. But how about letting me put one in freezer anytime I want? How about letting my kids hunt for free? How about giving me a tax break if I let other people hunt?:wink:

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Who does the deer belong to??If a deer is on my land and I'm hungry "BANG" it's my deer and if it's on someone elses land it's their's but if it ain't on my land I don't care.

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    If they are damaging your crops you can get a permit to hunt them year round. At least we can here in Texas. :wink: I don't know if that would fall under protecting your property or not.

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Will, I nominate you to be the lead legal counsel for deer hunting section of this website. :big_smile: You have come up with a very thought provoking point and have stated quite a good argument for your case against the state. Between my wife and three children we have had seven insurance claims because of deer in the past 15 years. Two vehicles were total losses. Each time my insurance went up even tho "they" said it would not. WHo can I sue...the landowner whose property the deer cam off of, the state....who???? LOL....

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I agree also that they are God's,and that we are given dominion,or charge of them.I also agree that you should be given a tax break for letting people hunt on your land,and I wouldn't see anything wrong with issueing what I would call a couple of "ag"tags a year for a farmer to harvest a couple of doe off of His own land out of season.As for the reality here in Oklahoma most farmers lease thier land for thousands of dollars a year,and us blue collar middle class hunters are forced to hunt public land.I'm thankful for the fees payed in by myself & others to provide these hunting/fishing lands.Our state just made another large purchase of land on the east side of the state for hunting/fishing useing money from the purchase of hunting /fishing licences.If not for public hunting areas,Oklahoma hunting would be left to the rich trophy hunters,and poachers.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Will, man you are gonna be audited for sure. LOL
    All I know is it isn't mine till it's legal tagged and checked in. I keep waiting for Indiana ta come up with a fee for checking it in, while other states just let you make a phone call. It seems to be about the $buck, not the buck.
    Every year it's BOHICA time. Ching.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I as a land owner gets sued over a deer-car strike coming off my ground, as I can now if it were one of my cows, I will guarantee you that that 1,500,000 Iowa deer population would suddenly disappear overnight. There aren't enough of those guys in brown boy scout uniforms to stop the slaughter. At minimum, I as a landowner would make sure every deer I could would be run onto the neighbors. Those deer would never stop running from one place to the next.

If the state were to get sued for the same thing and lose, hunting licenses would be practically no charge and as many as ya want. They would invite out of state gun toter's in.

If another numbnuts hunter sues a willing landowner who has given him permission to hunt, and wins there will be another large amount of acreage taken out of the hunting sector. I would like a piece of the action on the production and sale of no hunting trespassing signs. You would need God and body armor to protect you from getting killed on public sectors. One of the reasons deer herds have skyrocketed is because the private, taxpaying landowner gets ripped a new one when somebody goes after him, and he won't let ya hunt anymore.

Leases are a can of slimy worms. The legalities and liabilities of what happens with those haven't been poked by the lawyers just yet. Give 'em time. Suppose I give Frank an exclusive lease to hunt, and he pays me good coin of the realm. Does that make me then the owner of what he is killing? If Frank kills, maims or puts Pete's eyeballs out because he has snuck over the fence after Frank's and my deer, am I an accomplice in Pete's lawsuit. If Frank overkills his tag and the state comes after him, am I as lessee also responsible for not over seeing him properly? Don't need that thank you very much.

After all said and done, I am in Bad Karmas camp. It don't belong to anybody, but if it is on my land and I need a deer it is my deer. When it crosses the fence it is somebody else's.

15. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    once we say anybody owns them we are going european here.we are just borrowing them,enjoying them.in my opinion nobody can own them or lay claim to them landowners,government ,hunters the very mention of owning wildlife changes everything.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Id say they are public property and the rules and regulations are there to protect our hunting from ourselves. In my area 30 years ago it is said that a good hunt was when you can say you seen a track. Now Im eating venison pretty much any time I want. Those deer didnt come from citizens it came from the F @ W department bringing them in. They brought them in and I trust them to keep them around. Basicly the deer belong to all of us just like the fish in public waters. This is only for free range deer, not the ones behind a fence which I think are supposed to be tagged?

17. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa

You can get a deer management tag here in Iowa, but to my understanding, you can only shoot the deer, then you have to leave it lay. Thats what I have heard people say. It was also that way in Wisconsin a few years ago.

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    My grand baby say's they belong to SANTA :eek:oooh:

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Who owns them? Who owns you? To me the answer is the same, whoever that may be in your own mind. We are paying for a service to keep the sport alive for years to come. I don't have a problem with that as long as it's reasonable. So if we don't own them, are they trespassing on our property? Maybe the better question is our we trespassing on theirs.

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Maybe we should let the Indians decide who owns what.