Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy told me about having luck with using deer meat for bait. I killed one last weekend and over this recent weekend I gave it a shot and it does work. Caught several good eating sized blues on it. Im not sure if it’s just because it’s the time of year or just something different, but it worked so I’m going to keep using it and be neat to see with more time using it will bigger cats eat it as well. I was always skeptical of chicken as bait but catfish Dave proved that it can be used with success and not just for dink fish. I’m sure it all depends on time of year and conditions but it’s just one more option to have on the days I have trouble catching bait. Just thought I’d share my experience.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A guy told me about having luck with using deer meat for bait. I killed one last weekend and over this recent weekend I gave it a shot and it does work. Caught several good eating sized blues on it. Im not sure if it’s just because it’s the time of year or just something different, but it worked so I’m going to keep using it and be neat to see with more time using it will bigger cats eat it as well. I was always skeptical of chicken as bait but catfish Dave proved that it can be used with success and not just for dink fish. I’m sure it all depends on time of year and conditions but it’s just one more option to have on the days I have trouble catching bait. Just thought I’d share my experience.
Deer meat works . I carry gallon ziplock bags when deer hunting for the lungs , liver ,heart and spleen.
Also scoop up all the blood I can and put it in with that stuff for some added flavor.
When bank pole fishin on the Kaskaskia here in Illinois , we used any thin deer meat like the diaphragm,or beef milt, cut in 3/4" by 1-1/2" strips then hook them at 1 end , in the current it would bleach out white and wave like a leech , worked great.
But we also hit a beaver with the boat one day and cut it up for bait and caught channels on bout every piece of it .

·
Registered
192 Posts
The heart and liver sure do work. I've experiment with a lot of different trotline baits... and i have tried deer meat a lot because I do get a lot of scraps left over from harvesting deer around here... but it hasn't been a hot item bait for me... which is rather disappointing... so I stopped using it and went back to plain old bait fish. I've even tried deer meat that was marinated in hickory smoke...but still not a hot bait. Never tried it soaked in garlic .... that might help....Hmmmm. I think you can catch catfish on just about any bait... but the real question is... What bait would you use if money was on the line, like in a tournament?

I do have a deer heart and liver in the freezer right now awaiting a dip in the blue cat waters.

I guess that if i were in a tournament and could not get bait fish .. I'd use chicken... plain and marinated.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Would come as no surprise to me if deer meat worked of even deer liver. Seems to me a catfish will eat anything you can put on a hook and throw out there! Watched a guy on you tube catching cats with McDonalds french fries!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts