Deer meat for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daniel_14_86, May 28, 2009.

1. daniel_14_86

daniel_14_86 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    We have been using raw deer meat for bait and it seems to really be what the cats want right now. It is catching more fish than anything we have tried lately.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah ive used old deer burger before and did ok with it.

3. eastcoasttoggin

eastcoasttoggin New Member

State:
    New York
    have you tried several parts of the deer i would assume the guts would put a hurtin on the kittys

4. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what I do is when I am butchering my deer were the bullet went in the deer that meat is always bloody. so I take that meat and anything else that looks bad cut it up in 1 1/2 inch chunks put it in freezer bags and freeze it. I have cought some nice cats on deer meat.

5. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    use the liver it works very well ill use that anytime i can get it.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i never heard of folks using deer for catfish. Then again, the dog food commercials say that there product contains fish, pork, and beef, "all the things ur dog naturally craves". I have yet 2 see my dog take down a cow because of his cravings. can u just see a big flatty waiting at the edge of the river for some unsuspecting fawn to have a drink then.....wham! lol

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    that would freakin sweet:smile2:

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    One of my favorite log jams has a very large cow stuck in it, needless to say it is tough to get a bite there now:smile2:

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know about catfish, But the turtles sure do love it. I had a ton of deer meat go bad last year to an accidental unplugging of the freezer. I piled it in my boat with a bunch of blocks and weighed it down in one of my favorite flathead spots hoping to chum the big ones in. We caught 4-5 turtles every time we went for awhile. They really came out of the woodwork to find that meat!

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bet there were a ton of crawdads too

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I just tried fishing upstream/upwind of a deer that had washed up.
    (water went down/deer on dry gnd.)
    no luck but when wind changed, :embarassed: I remembered somethin at home I HAD to go do. :wink:

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Do you freeze the liver or use it fresh?

13. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well i use it fresh if i can get it fresh,to me fresh is always better but if i need to freeze it i dont have any problem doing that either,really i dont find there to much difference especally if you doctor it up with say garlic or cure it some in the sun like chicken liver and things like that.but if your not going to do anything to it fresh is the way to go,but i normally always put something on it so to me fresh or froze it dont matter.just depends how you want to fish it.

14. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My 10 year old brother caught a 30# blue on a peice of freezer burnt deer meat. We used it this year when the water was cold and they werent hitting bluegills yet. It worked pretty good. I also caught a 27# blue on it.