deer liver?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by muzkrat, Dec 26, 2007.

1. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    anyone have any good recipes for deer liver baits? i have used the plain liver before and it tends to bleach out really fast. i feel like it needs some flavor added to make it more attractive longer. maybe some garlic salt? what do you guys think?

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    James take your liver and put it in a bowl. so when you cut it, for bait the blood stays in the bowl an soaks, back in the liver or a zip top bag will work.
    Garlic probely won't hurt, a little cooking or fish oil mixed in won't hurt eather. I jus like my bait as fresh and natural as possible, thats just me. some like their liver dryed and toughen, sprinkled with brown sugar. to each his own and what works for you.
    Jim

3. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i try to stay natural to. the bowl deal sounds good. i have been taking the liver chunks and cutting them as needed but i think i will try cutting it in bait size chunks and let it soak overnight in its juice. then baggie it with juices. i wonder if it will refresh after use if i put it back in the baggie with the leftover blood? might try that to. the deer liver for some reason bleeds out really fast in water and looses its appeal. we hunt a lot and harvest our share of deer and it would be nice to find someway to make the livers productive for catfishin. james

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well James..... I've never fished with deer liver, but it sure is good floured and fried in the skillet.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've had good luck with venison liver, plain and unadorned. Just like any other bait, it should be changed out frequently.

I'm getting ready to give hog liver a go...if rank counts for anything, it should be a winner.:tounge_out:

6. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i hear ya john.....i like onions fried in with mine. nothing wrong with a little gravy and taters on the side either.

7. JJ42

JJ42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have used deer heart on my trot lines with good success also .:big_smile: