Deer Liver - Has anyone ever used it?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Dec 18, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was wandering if anyone has ever used deer liver or for that matter any other kind of animal liver?If so how well did it work for you?Thanks

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    brinley45cal,

I use chicken liver for channels and bullheads. I think some people do use the liver of deer once they shoot one. I don't they actually sell and package it.. I could be wrong though

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Never used deer liver, but I can tell you that the deer hearts make excellent catfish bait. Had one of my best days ever using deer livers. Caught alot of blue cats from 10-40 pounds in a couple hours last fall...all on deer heart!

good luck :)

4. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well ive heard of people using deer liver but i didnt know how well it would work.I never heard of anyone using the heart.Next time i get me a deer ill have to try it out.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i hav eused dee rliver many times and i really like it,it work very well on channels but my favorite liver to use whne fishing for a meal is turkey liver.both seem to stay on the hook better then chicken liver..dental floss works very well to keep all kinds of liver fastened to your hook ;)

6. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We had some rancid venison backstrap once that we used for bait. We caught catfish until the bait ran out, channels and blues. Haven't been able to get my hands on any since. Harland

7. dengil

dengil New Member

State:
    ky
    i havent tried liver but we have caught some nice blues (6-8 lb.) on freezer burnt deer meat. used it on jugs about 15 ft. in a local water shed.

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    have used beaver liver, works, Two older guy were trying to catch shad last week and coudnt find them. I gave them a bev, they used the liver, and
    caught some blues.
    Is it just me, but it seems that bloody bait works better in winter. Old timers always talked about using rabbit liver in Feb. for channel cats. But that may be the only bait they could get to.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Huh???,just messing with ya. :confused:

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oop's.....I get an occasional typo or brainfart everyonce in a while.....LOL ;)
    But ya'll know what I meant...... :eek: :D

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    And....... :glare: :glare: :glare: @ Cook........LOL :p :D

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have used beef liver in the pass, the only bite i got was from turtles. I have not used deer liver but heck try it, we never know. :D

13. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I've caught channels on groundhog livers... Never tried deer liver... ?

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Well if you guys are catching them on old deer meat im in buisness.Ive got some in the freezer that needs to be tossed but mybe ill hang on to it and give it a try.

15. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Wow, and all that good bait I let go to waste after I kill a deer...:confused2:

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Next year I think I'll save some of the innards from my deer and try it out.