Deer Liver for Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lklutts, Jan 12, 2008.

1. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Couldnt catch any shad or mullet for my trot line, and my neighbor was using deer liver. She was catching nice fish, so I tried it. Slow bait, but I am catching a couple nice fish each run, daily. About eight to twelve lbs each. She says when it turns white and gets a little rank the big ones come in. Swells some too. The left on bait doesnt just fall off either. Len

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    i've often wondered about this. I throw away deer liver every year.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Deer liver works.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I got some ground dear, what can I do with it?

5. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have used deer liver peerly because of the blood and really no other reason thought it would leave a nice sent in the river for those big one to come up and find. never really worked all that nice but definitly produce some fish nothing to really brag about.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use deer liver when fishing for channel cats. it does not seem to be as good for blues. it stays on a long time and is easy to get and freeze for later use.

7. huskercatman

huskercatman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks for the tip i gotta try that deer liver

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    add seasoning, make 1/2 pound patties, fry till the edges are crispy, top it with cheese and cook til it melts. put it on a bun, then add your favorite toppings.:smile2:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Mornin', I used to give it to the hunting dogs & also use it for bait, 'till some of the older guys that I hunt with were ready to kill me when they found out.

Evidently people with cholesterol problems are able to consume them unlike the beef livers. Any way that's what I do with 'em now :smile2:

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I use deer and hog liver in the winter, when shad can be pretty hard to come by.

As previously stated, it's tough, and freezes well.

Caught five nice eaters yesterday.:big_smile:

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    deer liver works pretty good,ive had success with all kinds of liver.I still find the chicken and beef work the best.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you can get you some corn flakes and garlic maybe some flower to make it thick mix it up and there you go.

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Deer liver is a great bait, I have several different things I marinate it in. Ground venison I use for eaters.....I bag it up in spawn sack with some garlic, and bacon grease.

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    make me some chili.:smile2::smile2: I've never used deer liver but i can't see why it wouldn't work.

15. jwoolley7089

jwoolley7089 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    ive used deer before i diddent catch any but im sure they hit it about as good as chicken liver....when they are hungry they will eat anything

16. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Ok dont everyone yell @ me @ once but ive had a baggie of deer tenderloin that spoiled back in Nov. and Im gonna try it as soon as I get the chance!! I wont lie Im kinda skeered to open tha bag.... its already changed colors... Ive caught cats on rotted beef tips so I figure Ill try this as well

17. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've been using deer liver for several years now. I cut it into squares and freeze it. It works really well.

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish the best liver by far is groundhog liver try it you will love it:cool2: