Deer liver for bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by boswifedeb, Dec 13, 2009.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hey, y'all. My husband Bo and I were talking the other night and were wondering how deer liver would work for catfish bait. Have any of y'all tried it? And if so, how did it work out for you? Thanks!

2. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    If it is legal to use then I would try it. I myself have no experience using it here as I do not think it is legal to use any part of a game animal for bait.

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    deer liver is some fine eatin, thats what i do with it, but i dont see how itd be any different from beef liver to use as bait, as for legality, im no expert on laws but i dont see why it would be illegal if the animal was harvested legally. i mean, if u can leave a gut pile in the woods for the crows and coyotes, why cant you throw some liver on a hook into a river for catfish.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Never used deer liverbut i have used deer heart..and i got a coupple huge channels and a like 70 lb turtle and a couple 4 ft gar...lolit was worth it to get 2 18 lb channels though!!!!

5. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    It's not illegal here, but we were just wondering if any of y'all had tried it. There usually isn't any heart left after Bo get's done shooting.:wink: He's a good shot. That's why we thought maybe we could use the liver.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll tell him.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It's bloody, and stays on the hook real well. It's as "pretty" of a bait as you can find. That said, we fished SEVERAL days with deer liver, and did NOT catch a fish on it, nor get a bite on it. It may be effective in some bodies of water, but not the Great Pee Dee that I used it in. I'd say try it in your area and see, but have other bait for backup.

Bill in SC

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have used pronghorn , elk and deer liver for flat heads but mainly as chum ,chop very small . broadcast it around it attracts small channels and other bait fish. which most cause a comotion in the water which attracts the flatheads to my gills .it is better then beef if you don't clean it lots of blood in it . it seems to work for me .

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I tryed it several timess and never had any suscess at all with it

9. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    It works well for turtle bait.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    stays on the hook like nuthing else, have to cut it off. ive cought a few on it but havent had any to try in a long time.

11. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    hey deb,

i killed 5 deer this year, ive used deer liver before an had really good luck with it. works better then beef stew.

another thing that works well is DEER PEE!! i know some of you mite think im crazy, but if any of you hunt then you know how bad it smells and how strong it is! code blue,tinks works.. add a drop to your bait and watch what happens!!

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've used deer meat for bait before, but only in a family member's farm pond. It's the best thing to use in that pond, it will out fish any other bait. The reason, though, is because they are big deer hunters, and after they get done cleaning the animal, they toss the carcass in the pond. Those fish are used to eating deer meat and will go CRAZY over it. They keep a bucket of scrap meat to use for bait, most times. To get the fish stirred up, I'll take a rock and throw it in the pond at the same place where they toss the carcasses, toss a few scraps in there, then put a couple of baited lines out there. WHAM! More often that not, I'm hooked up within a couple of minutes.

13. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all the input guys. If Bo gets another one this year, we'll save some and give it a try. Nothing like free bait!

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think it works as good or better than chicken liver..