Deer in the lake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jun 29, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been living here 13 years and have never seen deer in the lake, until today. We live across the lake from an island that is a state game preserve. Happen to look down towards the boat dock, here is 5 deer swimming up by the dock. I grab a camera and charge out the door, (scaring the deer) I zoom in and the camera is out of memory (still full of Alaska). I charge back for another camera, time I get back four are swimming out in the lake, one has come out of the water in our yard. I was thinking the boaters were going to drown the deer for ever boat that came by had to circle them for a look. They finally made it back across the lake to the island.
    The one came up to the back of the house and laid down. After about a half hour something scared her and she ran across to the neighbors. That was the last I saw of her.

Attached Files:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Pretty cool Dayton. Kinda neat when they do that.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Deer are excellent swimmers, but no good on ice, lol. Thanks for the pics Dayton.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks alot for sharing Dayton, that are awesome pics. Love Deer pics in the Wild.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    DEER FLOAT

cause their hair is hollow and that makes them boyant enough to float....

thanks for the pics

6. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Those are great pics, I have never seen deer do that before. Thanks for posting them.

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great pics and thanks for sharing.

8. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I envy all you member's who are always at the right place & time to capture them Kodak moment's.

9. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Deer are indeed great swimmers. There hair is hollow and filled with air. They need not use there legs to stay afloat.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. The areas that I fish we see deer crossing several times a year and its pretty neat to see every time.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i saw on float under the bridge i was fishing last year. It made a slow night better.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didn't know that about deer, about the hair being hollow and them being able to float.

Thanks guys!

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Man, that water is blue in that lake, what lake is that???

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great pictures. I agree; that water is incredibly blue! My favorite is the close up of the deer. Thanks for posting those.

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thoses are pretty pics. We have deer all over around my home but I have never seen one swimming thanks for sharing.

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice pictures . i saw my first last year about this time in the water. nice 7 point buck. i pulled right up to him but decided to let him get across. he was very tired from his swim, in fact he jumped 20-30 times before making it up the steep bank. i wouldnt pull up to another i think it puts a lot of stress on them.

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Pretty cool! I was canoeing once and a nice 8 pointer swam across the river in front of me and then stood on a gravel bar watching me float by.

18. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great pictures Dayton,thanks for sharing.I could watch deer all day long...

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matt, it's Lake Hamilton. Really the picture makes the water look more blue than it is. But at different times of the day or year the water does looks better. Most pictures it shows more green. The water is usually always clear.
    It's a constant level lake, maintained within a couple inches. The lake is owned my Entergy. They only lower it a few feet in the winter to kill algae in shallow water and for folks to work on sea walls.

Thanks to all you people. :big_smile:

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    What a beautiful place to live! Nice pics! Thanks for sharing!