Deer in the city

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    every morning when i go to work and on my way home in the evening i look for deer or turkeys out the window.i have seen some awsome bucks in peoples yards, on the side of the highway during rush hour traffic,in little wood lots in the middle of town.i have lived down south and saw very little of this, but here in the midwest the biggest bucks are in our backyards.what are your guys experiance with this ?

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The bowhunters get em moving big time here. Last week I saw a doe one day and a yote the next. This in town, in the commercial areas, with land left for sale. Don't put yer baby on the patio and go in to get a lemonade.....we've got two small dogs missing on my block this year. I live one block from a 60 plus acre park & have seen deer tracks off the walking/jogging path. Also seen fox 4 times this year. It's a lil nature preserve. Like the geese and mallards....could do without the yotes and fox.
    Heck of it is, if I capped a yote or fox in my backyard, I'd end up in court.
    Can't even use a pellet gun or bow practice in the city limits.
    :sad2:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am half way between a place called Dubuque and the Quad Cities. Both are havens for deer. In Dubuque last year in a hollow along a railroad right of way almost downtown, right next to a heavily trafficked 4 lane I saw the prettiest, biggest bodied, heavily beamed 10 point buck lying with two doe. They were lying at the back edge of some guys yard. People all over the place and this buck was licking his flank without a care in the world. Down the track was a flock of 11 turkeys picking the track of grain spill. It is amazing what they can and will do and accomplish.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    here you can legally shoot a bow as long as it's 100 yards away from a persons house. i have a few places right here in town i hunt before work after the time changes....

5. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    you guys want to see a monster buck caught on camera go to youtube and type in monster buck in the city,some guy in iowa has filmed two bucks in peoples yards at night they are huge,tell me what you think

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    They came up with a new license, "Urban Deer Zone", with 8 locations, for deer bow hunters in Indiana. Getting thick.
    :smile2:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here ya go. Those ARE some monsters. The first on especially, but I would happily shoot either one if I saw them in the woods.
    [youtubevid]c6XIJoPkRq0[/youtubevid]

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks for downloading that video matt, i am a computer idiot and did not know how to do it.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive seen that deer a bunch of times!....but only in my dreams. that first one could be a new world record but i bet he lives in a park somewhere. the sheds off that ol boy would make a good brush pile for a rabbit.:smile2:

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bootshowl is right, the deer in Indiana are getting thick. It is not at all uncommon for me to count at least a dozen deer with a quick 5 minute evening drive past city limits. I live in Tippecanoe County, which nearly the entire county is considered an "Urban Deer Zone". There isn't much point in the county being an urban zone though. Purdue University or the county parks department owns most of the non-privately owned land, much of it is just sitting there; but neither of the two will allow any hunting. It's a bit frustrating.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yall aren't the only ones with city huntin. We got several "Suburban Archery Zones" around the cities here in Maryland. I believe they'll even set you up with a landowner in those zones if you dont have nowhere to hunt them.

13. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I could deer hunt in my Mom's backyard in NJ with a baseball bat. She can't plant a garden anymore , the deer mow it down to nothing. She doesn't see many big bucks in her yard but a few summers ago I saw two 10 pointers on a neighbors lawn. A friend of mine bowhunts the 20 acre-ish woods adjacent to her neighborhood and shot 3 bucks in 40 minutes one morning last fall.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I live in allentown and I get an archery permit from the local police dept (free permit) to hunt 2 local parks. since its in the city, its archery only and Ive chase and been eluded by some real bucks.