Deer Hunting Turn to Varmint Trip

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by katfish ken, Nov 11, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Went deer hunting this morning . think I had a minute of A.D.D. a coyote was in the wrong place at the right time and I ended up varmint hunting instead. Figure the varmint is what has been getting my chickens.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have not seen any yotes or fox yet deer hunting but lots and lots of turkey. I think I am just going to go turkey hunting a few days this week.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the kill, these things are getting out of control

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If you go turkey hunting you are sure to see deer. i will get a yote or 2 ever deer season

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I'm like you if I get a shot at a coyote I take him out. So many deer
    hunters won't shoot a coyote because it messes up their hunt. I think
    this is a mistake, the coyotes kill a lot of fawns and young deer. If you
    kill one young bitch coyote you eliminated maybe 100 future coyotes.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Year before last i'm muzzle loadin and hadn't seen anything. Bout 9:00 a coyote walks right in front of the stand. I thought a second then smoked his tail. I figured it was over but for some reason reloaded and kept my seat. Not 20 minutes later shot a big doe not 30 yards from where the coyote laid. I 'll kill every one i see. Stinkin cats are gettin about as bad in this area.

7. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I shot at a coyote chasing 3 deer. He was 250 yards and running, so I doubt I hit him. I had to try though. I had never seen that before.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i saw loads of them the other day. if we had more public land i would shoot coyotes while deer hunting, but since we are just getting the scraps from the table, so to speak, i won't shoot them while deer hunting. if gas keeps dropping like it is right now, i'll be able to afford more varmint trips over this next year!

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I saw a small buck yesterday evening in the same stand where I killed the yote. Deer are used to their smell being in the woods. Often I think it take the attention of the deer away from the hunter enough for you to get a good shot at a good deer.
    Years ago I was bow hunting a property where the owner had cattle. About 9:30 one morning heard the cattle running back and forth along the fence row. Got down out of my stand to investigate to find 3 yotes chasing a yearling calf. shot 2 of them on separate passes bye. Brought them off the hill as evadince and the land owner wanted to pay me for saving his calf. Told him it was the least I could do for him letting me hunt. He ask every time I see him why I don't come back and hunt more. With gas prices higher now I try making 1 trip to his farm each year now.

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hope so I will shoot them with the bow too. I already have two deer down now. I got a doe muzzle loader weekend and got a eight pointer this past sunday. so now for deer i'm on my bouns tags for two more doe. and they can share the same arrow as the turkey birds. I dont mind lol

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im the exact opposite of most of you guys. Ive never seen a yote while deer hunting and very few turkeys if any. I see plenty of peoples dogs though. Ive also seen about 5-8 gray foxes at once playing in fox urine and one skunk, didnt shoot any of them but I will shoot a yote if I can ever see one.