Deer Hunting Rituals

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 17, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you have any rituals you go thru before going deer hunting?

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Gosh I had ta laugh, when you are over 50, everything is a ritual, LOL.
    Takes a lot of praying just ta "get er done". Shoot, just pick something.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ahahahaha!! I have to agree with that! No particular rituals, at least, that I can think of. I'll pay closer attention this season to see if I have any "particulars" that come to mind.

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I usually try to sight my rifle in the night before opening morning with the headlights of my truck shinning on the target..:big_smile:

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    My ritual would be in the months leading up to deer season I spend a few weeks thinking about going hunting then a few weeks thinking about not going and then finaly getting everything ready in the last few days, maybe it's not a ritual just procrastination.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont know if its a ritual or not, but after my 1st bowkill, while field dressing the buck, my buddy's grandfather reach down in a puddle of blood and wiped 2 blood stripes on each side of my face. He said it was a "right of passage" for a bowhunter to proceed and be successful to the next level of bowhunting.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry, your going to have to find somebody sober to ask, I have no memory of opening mornings.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The ritual we have around our house is that Nancy marks the calender. 4 day first season gets circled and she plans a trip to Chicago. Then it's bye bye till it's over. She can't stand all the maleism that goes on. She just can't relate to all the fun we have. Sometimes I envy her, I want to go along to.

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the reason that is so damn funny is because ive done it before,and ill probably do it again,got to stick with the rituals that work for you,another one i use is i will jump out of bed about 10 or 11 oclock at night and run down to wamart and buy my hunting tags the night before season starts.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Not so much as a ritual before but during. If you shoot at one and miss, you get your shirt tail split with your own hunting knife. Then they throw your hat in the air and see how many bullet holes they can put in it before it hits the ground

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    On opening morning,I always try to leave something important at home or in the truck,ammo,tags,T.P.,knife etc....:angry:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I hope your not talking about live targets:smile2:. Also better check your laws for your state. The game wardens in this area wouldn't be to friendly if they caught us doing that:eek:oooh:.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now see, that's the type of drinking I could get into. LOL

14. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Don't know about any rituals, Put my camo in a bag with banking soda and put em in the garage? After i killed a deer the first time i drank some blood, my dad smacked me in the face with a liver and said that a right of passage

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ours usually start day before with wood being gathered, clothes hangin out in fresh air, and I start in on my famous 3 alarm chilli. The kids are put to cleanin up campers and around camp. A supper at table with everyone discussing last years mistakes and a double check of where everyone will be and directions not to shoot and exit strategies so if someone wants to leave early it wont mess it up for those who want to stay later. Weapons will be checked and enough ammo is around. This year it will be only the wife and me due to we are hunting early muzzy and the kids all have different jobs and spread out over 2 states. But the chilli will still be there and so will the campfire talk. It will be different not having our daughter or 1 of our 5 sons in camp but I guess its a passage of growing up. I wish you all a successful hunt and a safe one!!

Will and Belinda

16. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Know a guy that had to drink a shot of blood from the first deer he ever killed as a child, his grampa,and father also did it said no more huntin if you pass up the shot. he said it wasnt even a question......GULP..lol,lol,lol

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    opening morning usually goes something like this for me.
    1. night b4 stay up way too late drinking with customers
    2. wake up get out of bed get fully dressed in dark walk into camp kitchen look at clock... dang its only 12:30 (to be repeated multiple times throughout night)
    3. decide to just stay awake at 3:30
    4. make coffee
    5. eat bottle of tylonol (see#1)
    6. walk outside check wind direction and temp.
    7. see that the news channel is predicting different from what i just felt.
    8. walk back outside re-check
    9. wake up customers
    10. wake them up again
    11. check everyones licenses
    12. begin handing out all my brand new gear to the three grown men who forgot thiers
    13. pass out maps and give detailed directions to and from stands
    14. re explain 13 after they decide to switch amongst selves
    15. pass out ammo to grown men and kick out of hunting buggy in darkness
    16. go to my own stand and fall asleep at base of tree instead of climbing up

need i say more?

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sounds like a plan!

19. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Buddy that sure sounds like fun, Hell I mean seems more like a baby sitter then a guide lol

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    its like my boss told me when i started going up to the camp with him. "the customer is not always right, but he is still the customer. all in all i luv it!