Deer Hunting From A Boat?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 6, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever hunted deer from a boat? Several times now when fishin we have seen deer from our boat and they just get that headlight in the eyes thing !! We even had a young buck follow along shore as we checked our bank poles. So I am just wondering if anyone has actually deer hunted by boat.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depends upon your state laws. In some states it is illegal. You would definitely want to check it out first.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    It would be pretty dang hard in the first place to get a steady shot. I think it pretty much illegal to shoot from a motorized vehicle in any state. That usually means trucks and ATV's but I'm sure they would bust you trying to shoot from a boat. Now on a side note I accidently hit one in my boat running up the river in the early morning hours....it was foggy and heard a big thud under the boat. I looked back thinking I hit a log and saw the six point buck my boat just hit. He swam to shore and ran away seeming to be fine.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya im pretty sure in illinois yould be in jail and have to get a 2nd morgage to pay the fines. there are laws about transporting a gun in a boat.

5. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

use a canoe to go back anf forth to spots works great i prefer it over walking to stands when possible, no sent left on ground, extremely quiet,better than dragging deer also. In michigan you just have to have permission for the land ur shooting the deer from, and yes firearms are legal to fire out of the boat as long as ur paddling no motors allowed not even trolloing motors

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    in missouri you can shoot out of a boat as long as your drifting or paddling.in my opinion it would be a deadly tactic,i have thought about it but never done it.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have wondered many times about a tactic as this ,it seems to have some merit and ill check out the georgia laws.

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont think it is legal here but one day a buck hunted my boat
    was driving to go fishing and he was standing in somebodys front yard, decided to run and the only way was the road. smack right into my boat full speed, it was pretty funny. he fell down shook it off and carried on

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't shoot out of my canoe but I use it to get to Islands in the river that hold a lot of deer. I also have National Forest land across the river with areas of pretty good cliffs in some places. I canoe across and walk up rock ledges or small streams to get my stands near the edge of the cliffs, (natural funnels) without leaving much scent. Most hunters come in from the roads 3-5 miles away and push deer to the river.

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Its illgeal in Virginia, dont know about Iowa, but i agree, i see tons of deer when on the water

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It is legal in Arkansa to use a boat to get to an island or other land access as long as the land is open to the public or you have with you written permission to hunt. But the following is the rules for shooting deer that are swimming or shooting deer from a boat.

06.09 HUNTING DEER FROM A VESSEL PROHIBITED. It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take
    04-04 deer from any type watercraft on public waters.
    EXCEPTION: Commission employees in performance of their duties.
    PENALTY: $150.00 to $1,000.00.

06.06 TAKING DEER SWIMMING IN WATER PROHIBITED. It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take deer
    07-80 swimming in water; or to drive or capture deer from or with aid of a boat.
    PENALTY: $100.00 to $1,000.00, and a jail sentence up to 10 days may be imposed.

12. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    In WV, you can legally kill deer from a boat as long as the motor is off and all motion created from the motor has ceased.

13. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    In some places in South Louisiana that is the only way to hunt.the motor has to be off if you are using a motor powered boat.Most of the time people use a pirogue. It is a flat bottom boat kind of like a canoe but can run in just a few inches of water and can flip over a lot easier.I have killed deer back in the swamps using a pirogue. You just paddle along real slowly and drift or stay still for a while and watch the logs or ridges in the flooded timber.People don't believe that deer can live here but they do it every day of their lives and they do it better than we can.Swamps and river systems are by far some of the best places for numbers of deer and in lots of cases big bruiser bucks. The reason they get so big is because people have a hard time gettig to them. Deer feel safe in water because they can hear predators coming long before they get close to them. A boat paddled real slowly is hard to hear.The deer usually lay up on logs or little ridges and most of the time are sleeping when you see them.So go slow and look very carefully with binoculars. A friend of mine bow hunts using a boat. He will paddle until he locates a deer and gets out quietly and wades close enough for a shot using waders and tennis shoes.He killed 2 small bucks last year with his recurve bow, unbelievable. Dont wear rubber boots because they will fill up if you flip over and you can drown. Wear tennis shoes or change into boots if you have to get out. It's better to get your feet wet than drown.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive heard of people doing it amphibious style like their in the marines or something not really shooting the deer from the boat but like doing a beach landing from a creek and then coming over the hill and seeing what you got on the other side. I dont know if thats illegal or not. so I will keep the names of the innocent out. pretty good tactic but I prefer the tree