Deer hunting/Catfishing around Ft. Smith???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Believer, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    What are the opportunities like around that area? There is a slim chance I may be relocating to that area and just wondered what I could look forward to.

Thanks!

Eric

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The Ark. river runs thru there and fort chaffee is just to the east. I use to hunt it alot and it has lots of deer and turkey both.

3. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I live just 8 miles north of ft smith. this is just my thought but the deer hunting is good to excellent and catfishing is fair to good. there is ft chaffee and lots of national forest close by the ark river is ft smiths boundry with oklahoma and has fair to good catfishing but also a lot of commercial fishing so i would say large one are on the rare side.there are several lakes fiarly close by .

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Eric you will probably disapointed with the size of the deer we have down here compared to the grain fed monsters you are use to hunting. they are plentiful though....... the good news is you can use high powered rifles in arkansas. as far as the fishing goes boliver hit the nail on the head. fishing is fair to good. you can catch a lot of fish in the arkansas river.it does seem that there aren't a lot of really big fish though. if you every start hunting turkeys you may forget about every thing else. atleast for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have hunted turkeys the past 2 springs, and I always get an archery permit during the fall just in case one comes by my deer stand but have not gotten one yet.