Deer hunting 2006 - Kristine & John's progress

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Eithne, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    This summer I was pretty sure that we weren't going to be able to hunt due to financial reasons. But John's cousin graciously bought us both hunting licenses as an early Christmas present so on Monday morning we'll be off. Between now and January, John and I will have ample opportunity to stock the freezer with both deer, squirrel, and perhaps we'll even add a turkey come spring.

Our tree stands have been cleaned up and reinforced. The deer were well fed and monitored all last winter, spring and summer. Both buck and doe have been spotted on our late night spotlighting trips. Besides the 3 bucks tagged on the land by others during archery season, we've got reports of at least 4 others.

First there's the two half-racked deer. One with 4 points, the other with 3. Then there's the 7 or 8 point that's been spotted multiple times. And then, there's the big boy. A neighborhood business owner has apparently spotted a large bodied 10-12 point buck on the land we hunt.

Since this is only my second year hunting and would be my first deer, I would be happy to get any of those fellas or perhaps even one that hasn't already been seen. But I think we all know who I'd really like to get. :roll_eyes:

Either way, I'm sure we'll have a great time this winter and will keep you all updated as we go along. Wish us luck on Monday as I'm sure we'll be out bright and early. :big_smile:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Sounds like a good place, good luck

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    You an John go girl! Sounds like ya got it planned out. Luck to y'all & I'll be watching for the posts. My wife gets PO'd if I clean my guns in the house,(with that smelly stuff), but will whip out some stuff for fingernail polish that will clear yer sinuses for a week...go figure? Please tell me you don't clean his gun for him. I don't think I could handle it. LOL
    :wink:

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    The only times I cleaned his .308 were when I was learning how and needed something to practice on or after I used it. Otherwise that's his job and he knows it. LOL

I actually don't have a gun of my own yet and just stick to borrowing his cousin's .243 for now. I've got a nice Remington 700 BDL on my wishlist though and hope Santa or the birthday fairy gets around to it one of these years. :big_smile:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of Luck to you all.Keep us posted!!!

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Lots of luck to the both of you, glad you get to go hunting.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I wish the BEST of luck to you !!!!

I Can't wait for you to post the pics, be safe & have a great time:wink:

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck to both of you. I've seen a lot of big bodied deer up there when I visit my family in the Pocono's. Hope you get a good one.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post,glad to see another woman on here who enjoys hunting I just don't get to go! Get a big one and then post the pics.We gals gotta right to brag too ha ha! Be safe and great huntin to ya!:smile2:

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Good luck to both of you.

11. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    11-27-06
    Well Monday's opening was a beautiful day. Cold and brisk before dawn until around 9:30, then warmed up enough to be comfortable the rest of the day. Heard shots from around the valley starting around 6:45 and they continued throughout the day at a good rate, though not as many as I heard last year.

John spooked a few deer when he was heading out to his stand, but couldn't see what they were since it was before dawn. A few hours later he saw a doe in the fields, but let her be since we didn't get doe tags this year.

After lunch, we returned to our stands at around 11:00. I came back to mine to find John's cousin tell of the buck that ran by my stand not 20 minutes after we left. Boy was I kicking myself at that point. He said he was a very nice looking 8 point who definitely had doe on the brain. :roll_eyes:

We didn't see any more deer the rest of that day, but it was a great time with fantastic weather.

11-30-06
    I went out by myself this afternoon for a few hours, but again didn't see anything. The weather was even warmer than Monday with the winds picking up towards evening. I'm hoping that the cold temperatures that are supposed to arrive soon will bring the deer back into the thickets and of course, into range. :lol:

John and I will be going out in the morning on Saturday before work for a few hours. Maybe by then we'll even get some snow on the ground. If we still don't spot a deer or recent signs of them, we're finding new hunting ground for next week. :crazy:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I haven't seen this thread until today Kris, but I certainly wish you and John the best of luck! Hopefully on your next trip out you'll get your first deer (and I hope he's the ONE!). Have fun and be safe. :smile2: