Deer Hunting 101

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Blacky, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just like in most things, you have to start somewhere.

I want to learn the sport of deer hunting. I have shot deer before in my days in Indiana, but they were all on private property so it would be an equivalent to fishing in a paypond. I want a deer the real way!

How do I get started?

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tan, there seems to be a lot of folks over your way that you fish with that also deer hunt. ask them if you can tag along or ask them questions. read all you can about it as there are tons of paperback and online resources available dedicated to deer and deer hunting. and whatever weapon that you choose to use (rifle,shotgun,muzzleloader,pistol,or bow and arrow, or all of them) practice,practice,practice.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don't know anything about hunting deer Tan. However while bait fishing I saw a huge Buck. I was totally surprised it was that close in the heart of the city. I told the guy in the Bait shop he was like no way. I said this thing had horns as long as my arm. He told me next time I see it to give him a ring...Lol :wink:....Good luck with that Sport....

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good advice from Brian! :cool2:

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Tan, deer hunting actually isnt all that different from hunting big flats. The steps are basically the same and for the most part so is the logic behind the steps.

the first thing you must do is decide what weapon you want to hunt with. Archery hunting and regular firearms hunting are two completely different beasts. And like brian said, practice, practice, practice with whatever weapon you chose.

the next step is to outfit yourself with some gear. You dont have to get top of the line stuff right out the gate but you also dont want to cheat yourself and definitely dont want to cheat the deer. Breakin a fish off because of crappy line is far better than injuring a deer due to inadequate gear.

third, do a little research and find out where the big concentrations of deer are in your area. If your going to hunt near the city, look on a aerial map and find any hollows or bottomlands that deer will feel safe in. Look around while driving also, those yellow signs with a buck on them are there for a reason. If deer are getting hit by cars year after year in that area that means that they are using that area as a runway between bedding areas and feeding areas. Talk to any other hunters in your area and find out any information that you can.

get out in the woods and look for trails through the woods. Deer tend to use the same trails all the time. Set up downwind of a trail that deer are using and get comfortable and wait em out.

Get with someone around you that can show you the ropes and good luck

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Hopefully Kenlaw will let me tag along this year.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Which weapon is the easiest or for "beginners"?
    rifle,shotgun,muzzleloader,pistol,or bow and arrow?

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Can you just walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a rifle just like a ABU? Do you have to wait?

Is sitting up in a deer stand a MUST?

What is the optimal hours during the day to hunt deer?

If I can sit 6 hours and wait for a flat bite, I should have no problem waiting for a deer?

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    from your earlier post Tan it sounds like you already know how to use a rifle so that is a start. no you don't have to sit in a tree all day to take a deer, although there are times when it does help. as for times dawn and dusk are always good times, but also mid day is a good option as most hunters end up leavimg the woods then to get a bite to eat or to warm up and the increased movement in the woods moves deer around. or if it is cold out the deer will move around at mid day to warm up a little and eat a little. take a hunter safety course and you might learn a lot there too as many of these courses offer the oppurtunity to use different weapons and there are always some adults taking the course as well, as alot of people think that only kids take this course and they would be wrong.

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Muzzleloader....definitely not
    pistol.....definitely not
    bow.....can be but it takes much more practice than any other choice. The reason I would say bow hunting COULD be the easiest is that deer are going to be in the most natural state of any of the seasons.

I would honestly say that a shotgun with a low power scope would be your best bet.

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    You do not have to wait to buy a rifle or shotgun. What will happen is that you will need to fill out a form and give the salesman your drivers liscense. They will then do an over-the-phone background check which takes about 5 minutes, then your on your way. For a muzzleloader there is no background check. A pistol is a 3 day wait.

A deer stand is not a MUST. If your going to hunt firearms season all you really need to do is get yourself in a likely area (a hollow with cover around it is a good place to start) and wait. Sit against a tree about 30 yards or so off of a trail if you can.

Optimal hours during firearms season are usually right at daylight and around midday. Like Brian said, alot of people get hungry/tired/cold/bored around lunchtime and get up and move around, which pushes the deer around.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I will take you out with me sometime if you want to. I will drop you off at this one parking and point ya in the direction I want you to walk. When you get to the other road give me a call. Make some noise while you are at it. If you hear shots duck!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: I'm kiddin pal. I have an extra shotgun you can use. I hunt Shot gun only regs. mosly (Bucks Co.). You would have to be at my house about 3:30am. You could go out for Flats. then meet me at my house.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Shoot! I could take you out now and give you my video recorder and you could film the hunt.

14. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Blacky,

I will have to say that most of the information that you recieved here is accurate. Hunting deer is very much like hunting flats, once you understand thier habitat and the movment pattern, most of which revolve around food and water, after that it is all about patience and spending time in the field.

The only exception is during the rut, then most bucks start thinking with the other head and we all know what happens then.

The nice thing about deer is they leave sign when they frequent an area, trails, dropping, scrapes, beeding areas etc. Most of the state parks have hunting areas, there are some state game areas as well. Check out the PA Game Commission website and they have these areas listed as well as some area maps. You can also speak with the rangers at the state parks for thier feel of the deer heard that they are seeing... but some of the answers you will get are questionale.

It's best if you can find some local pockets of huntable property so that you can spend as much time in the field as you can, it is funny deer will pop up anywhere just about.

As far as best weapon for a beginner, I agree I would start with a shotgun. It will give you more range than a bow and will be somewhat more forgiving when you get started. Deer will pick you off by smell, movement, noise you name it.

I enjoy bowhunting the most because of the time of year, it's usally nicer weather and you can see all kinds of animals. But it does take considerable practice to make clean kills with your bow.

Some also wrote that there is 3 day waiting period to purchase a pistol here in PA. In the last couple mnonths I have bought 2 pistols, one for targets and 1 for hunting and there is no waiting period. I was surprised by that, I am originally from Michigan and it takes about 2 weeks to actually purchase a handgun.

Let me know if there are any other questions that I can help you out with. You are welcome to tag along with my son and I anytime.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Obviously a rifle would be the easiest. Longer the shot that you can take the game, less the hunter smell. Im just getting into bowhunting myself. I want to get up close and personal myself.

16. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    if you are a good fish hunter, you will make a good deer hunter:wink:

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey tan i hunt only on public land, and i'll tell you some things i do. first, i am in the area i hunt all year. i want to know what the deer are in any season, and what their day/night patterns are. i also want to know what they do when the seasons are changing. like right now the deer are coming out in my area earlier in the day, but they are not feeding later in the morning like they did in summer. there is also a spookiness to them now that they didn't have in the summer. by november first, you might see deer for a half hour in the morning and then no more till 3 in the afternoon. during the rut it's all out the window in some spots and other spots will be totally lacking in deer. i can go hunt new mexico in the 4 corners area and the patterns will be totally different. i have them patterned pretty good for my area, because i watch them all year. that's the best way to be successful. good luck on your endeavor.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sure but when you're waiting 6 hours for a flathead, you can move around. do that too much when your hunting, and you'll never even see the animal. he'll see you from way off and slip out. using a stand is not a must. especially when gun hunting. you can bowhunt from the ground also, but it's really hard to draw a bow back and not get caught in the act. as for optimal hunting times, they vary widely with respect to hunting pressure, the rut, weather. Usually early morning and late evening.

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great advice from all ! I dont have to hunt public land anymore. From past experience tho you got 2 things that may or may not work in your favor . 1 . the rut deer Can become oblivious to your presence .not always and they may be moving choose your shots wisely.
    2. Other hunters Will move deer . find the gnarliest thicket you can as far away from the road that you dare attempt to get a deer to the bed of your truck .:wink: The private land I hunt doesn't have the pressure to push deer around neither do the surrounding farms ...so if you have done your homework you should be successsful . Good Hunting .