Deer hides and wooly worms-are we gonna freeze to death

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by postbeetle, Dec 9, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shot my doe for the year last Sunday. Killed a lot of deer over my lifetime. Seen a lot of hides and hair coats. This doe was a fly tiers dream. One of the thickest and heaviest hides I have ever handled. Every station a tier selects hair from was excellent. The hair was "set" very well, she skinned with not a lot of loose hair as is sometimes the case.

A person never knows until you know but deer hair coats are one way I interpret how a winter might go, like some people look at woolly worms. I am in Iowa, central Eastern. We have had successive winter storms with one today and a biggy predicted for Tuesday. A lot of ice with snow on top. Making difficult foraging already. They have started on my evergreens (pines and arborvitae) and don't usually do that till mid-January or later. Deer have been moving earlier and staying out feeding well into morning. I, because of the lay of my land, can see several hundreds of acres of pasture, corn and soybean fields at any given moment in time. They are everywhere, spooky because shotgun season is occurring but they continue to feed during abnormal daylight hours for them.

The doe I shot had more than ample quantities of prepelvic fat and the tallow amount was higher than normal. Have you folks noticed this in dressing your deer? If so how far South have you seen it for my own curiosity.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    English John. What are ya tryin to tell us mortals. LOL! I'm guessin a cold nasty winter. Like they used to be.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One way for you Eastern guys to tell how the winter will go is to go out to the rails tracks. Stick your tongue on the track, and if you can get unstuck before the next train it will be an easy winter. LOL.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Tried that. The only problem is I did it at a switch and they are heated. LOL! Now I just use the flagpole test.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey John I did notice the heavier tallow on a doe I helped skin. I just thought she had been eating pretty good.
    Later Andy

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hate to admitt Beetleman is no dum-dum and I have to give you this one to......The two bucks I got had alot of tallow and I should recognised some sighns but my indian wasnt working appearently:angry: I realy hope your not right though cause I am in a mad house....2little females,1large female and a female dog...2 female dogs outside......enough to drive a man crazy ya all understand that dontcha????

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never thought about it that way ,the buck I shot had a 1/2" layer of fat over its back and hindquarters. also had the lacy tallow/fat over its stomach ,much like domestic hogs do,I just figure he was in good shape and eatin good.As for wooley worms,I have seen lots this fall ,have just forgot what the old sayin was about them.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You're living every man's dream,living with a house full of females,and a couple waiting outside to get in. Damn,Kenny,you da man!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the deer i shot in october was extremely fat. the one i shot dec 1st had no fat or tallow whatsoever, and the one running with him that my buddy shot had very little. hey beetle another way to get a glimpse ahead is the migratory birds' patterns. back during bow season i watched several flocks of pintails coming through on the canadian river. they usually don't get here till mid to late december. yesterday hunted the red river below estelline, saw 100's of mourning doves, a bird that should have been gone two months ago. all this is kind of confusing, maybe the animals are getting a curve ball thrown at them this year. right now we are sitting under 1/2 inch of ice, so we'll see how this winter turns out.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The drought made the wooly worm thing a bust...but a buddy just dressed one out at 140lbs, and like Richard, said it was fat, more en he's used too. I heard it was a good sign of health, but never heard the bad winter thing.
    Thanks.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gonna be cleaning a small doe friday and I will have another look.........

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well strangely enough, all 3 does i have killed this year have been covered in fat and tallow. i just figured its because we feed the crap out of them with clay peas, chickory, biologic food plot blend, corn in the spring, chufers, buckola, all kinds of salt licks, and stuff that i cant even remember. not to mention our white oaks have been dropping acorns the size of golf balls for 2 years straight.

dont know about the cold weather though, it was 80 freakin degrees yesterday... not exactly good hunting temps.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The doe I field dressed yesterday had lots of fat built up. The buck we dressed two hours before that and 300 yards away had very little fat. They have been feeding on corn and beans here.

14. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Was talkin to hubby about the deer hes dressed so far, he says the hide/hair is really thick and so is the tallow and fat. More so than normal for this time of year. So its definately as far south as Northeastern Mississippi for sure.

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Grimpuppy, perhaps the buck had no fat was because he had been doing that "buck thing"? I recall when I was running buck,I didnt have as much fat as I do now.:wink:smokey

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's why we are so skinny, 'eh, Smokin Joe? LOL

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The animals know in advance of bad weather. coming from my daughters baptism yesterday, I saw the largest does I've seen in the middle of the day feeding near a major roadway. I've noticed it with the birds that visit my feeder too. Does anyone remember how the wooly worm forcast goes? I forget.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    as for the wooly worm thing, i was under the impression that the darker the worm, the colder the winter, and if it's a light colored worm the winter should be pretty mild.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beetleman we went and picked the doe up and she is a real lill one ,Cant complain cause she is free meat but It just to fill a tag shooter almost a waste and not worth the drive.What is there is gonna be very good eats but I would of let this one go myself.I will post the findings wed or thursday.We dont need to hang this one long.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use to think the same the more fat the harder the winter. I have shot enough deer and seen enough deer dressed/cleaned over the years that I don't think that anymore. Our farm is just couple miles from the Iowa line. Case in point like said before. You can shoot one deer walk over the hill shoot another deer. One will have a thick layer of fat the other will have a 1/4 or what the first one had. Yet the winter on one side of the hill is going to be the same on the other side of the hill. I think some deer are just better at packing on the fat just like people.:tounge_out: