deer hide

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by massa_jorge, Nov 28, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i did a lot of trapping as a kid, so i had some background for doing a deer hide- to a point. i have a buddy who was waiting for a head shot deer so he could save the hide. i shot one in the head last week, so i skinned it real nice and scraped and salted the hide. here's where the problem lies. i have no experience whatsoever beyond that. we sold furs salted, stretched and scraped or on the cob. he wants to do it with the hair on, so what are some good references or tips? thanks.

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jordan - your off to a good start from what I know- which is not much. I trapped as a kid also, but we sold ours green- which meant you skinned it and rolled it up with the fur side out and froze it until time to sell.

But, I thought I might try to tan one also. There are a number of ways to do it with or without the fur. I just typed in Tanning Deer Hides and did a search. There are several sites listed from simple to hard.

But one I found said that this way would give you a soft tanned hide with the fur on. It says to clean the skin of all meat , fat and etc. Then to nail it to a 4 x 8 piece of plywood , stretching it as you go. Once stretched and tacked with the hair side to the board, you rub Sea Salt into it for 4 to 5 days. Then let it dry. Once dried then you will need to roll it often until it becomes soft. Rolling it back and forth will break the Fibers in the skin and give you a soft supetable hide. Some hair may be lost but not much.

Hope this helps - I will try to let ya know how mine turns out. It is drying right now and should be ready to untack and start rolling soon!

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
  4. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Do you guys think borax can be used instead of salt? I have a doe hanging now that I'll try it on if so. Thanks for the idea.

5. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    stock salt is cheaper than sea salt and yes, borax will work also.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

not sure what the question is here.are you wanting to tan the deer hide your self?if so if you fleshed the hide and salted it already your half way there. rittles ez tan would be a good choice for your hide.borax to me at least does just as a good job as salt and in some cases better

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya salted it dang good chance now the fur will slip when ya soften the hide.
    We got a book on it some years back Brain Tannen Hide the Old way.

1 wash the hide good to remove all blood out of the hair if fresh. If salted wash hide good to soften, wash salt out before streaching
    2 Streach hide out on plywood fur side down and tack down tight with roofen tacks
    3 flesh hide with a good sharp knife and scraper hide should be white to off pink tones and clean if ya start seeing hair grain ya scrapen to hard
    4 let hide dry keep on plywood it will keep this way for up to 6 months
    5 when hide is dry you can use boiled deer brains or cow brains mash and spread on hide non hair side -- to save time use neatsfoot oil just rub down with neatsfoot oil let soak in over night repeat its not near as messy
    6 remove hide by pullen the tacks
    7 streach rope like a busted ropen rope between 2 trees real tight, a fence puller works good to get it tight a 1x6 or a 2x6 oak board works to nailed down tight
    8 ya need a buddy -- rub hide the flesh side down back and forth on the rope or board usen the buddy on the other side it breaks down the hide and fluffs it to buckskin like suede this takes about 2 hrs.
    The hide will be soft supple and have a nice clean smell they make perfect throw rugs chair covers ect can be cut and worked into all kinds of stuff.
    You can fold a hide flesh side in and freeze for up to a year to. That way ya can work it up when you are ready.
    Google search Brain tanning to learn more.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    go to cabela's and get a container of the deer hide tanning solution. it is the easiest and the directions are on the container. i have done fox, axis deer, bobcat and coon skins with it. my son-in-law got a kit from gander mountain and it is a little more work to using it. knoblach taxidermy supply sells all the stuff also. i use the cabela's since i travel a lot and it is very easy to use. be sure to get salt with no iodine in it. it is about .39 a container and 2 or 3 will do a large deer hide plenty good.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well it's all in my buddy's hands now. i looked up brain tanning and that seems like a good way to do it, except it said NOT to salt the hide. i used crushed coatrse non iodized salt for the hide. figured the finer the better. i wonder why deer hair would slip with salt? muskrat, beaver and mink never did. this deer didn't have a brain to this method is out. next deer i shoot i think i am going to take this on as well, and hopefully there's some brains left. thanks for all the replies.

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We never salted our plews for the fur market but we did to help remove moisture for tanning. We soaked our hides to tan in a salt solution 24 hours at a time, at the end of each 24 hr period we scraped them again. After 4 or 5 days we rinsed the hide good and removed all salt etc. Then we put them in 30 gal plastic trash cans filled within 6" of the top and added 1-3lbs of Alum depending on how many or how big the hides were. Most pharmacies carry it. It took about a week if I remember right. Borax may eat the hair? If you want to remove the hair wood ash in a slurry with water will loosen it and it scrapes right off, we did that to make buckskin several times..