Deer Habitat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by pendog66, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I have a queation for you guys about the deer in your area. Here in southwestern Ohio we have some of the biggest WHitetails in the country but there is one problem, people are selling their land and developing houses and buisnesses. Growing up and can remember seeing deer in a field that now ia housing delopement. They claim here in the dayton area deer populations are rising and theres not enough room. When honestly i think no the population stayed the same but we are taking up all of their land to live in, this is why i love the metroparks buying up land around rivers and large patches of woods. Whats your stance on this subject???

2. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Urban deer hunting can be GREAT;)

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think whats happening to you has already happen in alot of areas of north carolinia. man is not going to stop for the wildlife when there is money involved that i can see. on the other hand the deer seem to adapt to this pretty good. some of the best deer hunting here is around housing development and highways. the problem i see with this is that alot of non-hunters are moving out of the big cities into these homes and go crazy when they hear a gun shot. so they call the police and the police is tring to keep the peace and in the long run you lose the place you have been hunting for ten years.most people where i live are hunting on 10acres or less. ive had the police called on me three times for hunting on my own dang land,the LAND I PAID FOR AND PAY TAXES ON EVERY YEAR. SO NOW IM JUST A TROPHY HUNTER I GUESS......WHEN I SEE ONE BIG ENOUGH TO HARVEST IN HUNTING SEASON TO GO TO JAIL OVER I MAY TAKE THE SHOT ONLY IF HES ON MY LAND.;)

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree i hunt an area across the road from a farm in a metropark that grows, corn, soybean and there is a apple orchard. Big deer come in and really its only about 10 to 20 acres we hunt and its close to a major road way. i dont see any end to the housing developments

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My grandparents are about to have to sell 44 acres here in KY. The land being developed around it has made it where they cant afford the taxes. I just told them today to go ahead and sell, I can find somewhere else to hunt and fish. And I have a hard time keeping up with the maintenance and what not. Its still great hunting and the neighbors dont mind my practice shooting. Of course I go around and introduce myself to everyone I see and let them know I hunt and shoot. I also warn them about keeping their dogs and cats inside during trapping season. They seem to appreciate it.