Deer Fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Nov 24, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    From a Forward, hope you enjoy on this cold cloudy Saturday.

Look in the center of this photo.

Then the next photo.

Last Saturday morning, my buddy Bo Warren and I were trolling for stripers in the Bay. We were 1 1/2 miles offshore in about 80 feet of water contemplating why the fish weren't biting.
    We looked back to check our gear and saw something odd in the water. Was it a seal??
    Can't be, we don't have seals around here. On closer look, it turned out to be a buck deer that was WAY off course. He was desperate and barely staying afloat.

Next photo.

I've seen deer swim a river or bayou before. When you see that, the first thing you notice is that they are powerful swimmers. Their head and shoulders are out of the water and they make surprisingly good headway. This critter was just keeping his nose up and looked like he'd been swimming all night long. In fact, he was so worn out that he swam toward the boat probably thinking it looked enough like land to him. When he got closer though, he wasn't sure what to make of the two dudes on board, and backed off.

So, since the fish weren't biting, we thought we'd give this buck a hand.

Turns out Bo grew up around cows and was really handy with a bowline. He lassoed the deer on the first try!

Bo grabbed his neck, I grabbed the flank, and we barreled over backwards into the boat. Before I knew it, Bo was on top of him and had him tied up just like a calf.

Next photo.

Next photo.

We hit the throttle and shuttled him to the closest beach - Kent Point. I beached the boat and we carefully unloaded the deer onto the sand. The whole time we kept thinking he was going to kick the snot out of us. He never did though, he was totally spent. We untied him and jumped back. Too weak to stand, he just sat there quivering. We even picked him up again and put his feet underneath him, but he still couldn't walk.

Don't know if he made it or not, but I think his chances were vastly improved. Hopefully he recovered after time. When you're out & about, ya just never know...

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's pretty wild! I don't think I'd try to get him in my boat though..

3. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That is cool. Thanks for sharing this with us.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Out standin! An experience of a life time. I'm tellin ya Dayton. You sir are a magnet for some cool S%@t. LOL! Thanx for sharein! So did ya go back to chasein them stripers? They are killin em up here in the bay. I don't go cause all I do is chum. LOL!

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Dayton that is so cool. Thanks for sharing that, made my early evening. I'd of had more fun with it than that though. I'd a called the fish and game dudes & said "Come get this critter, it's molesting my fishing......liked to never got the hook out."
    Ya need to send that story to your local paper. Good stuff.

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats wild thanks for sharing the story bet the was wild getting that thing into the boat not knowing what it would do.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dang, what an adventure! I'm with Boots, only I think you should send it in to USA Today or some other national paper!

Thanks for sharing!
    Cheryl

OH WAIT, you say it was a forward? Well if that's the case, still wish you could have enjoyed that adventure. Interesting story.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Dayton. Nice story. Appreciate it.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the story and pics. Never seen anything like that before!

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That was cool Dayton. I had seen that somewhere but have forgotten where. It was cool.:big_smile:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That was a BOC thing to do if I ever saw one, thanks.

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    that would be crazy. lol thanks for sharing

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ya'll did a good thing there !! Thanks for sharing.

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    That was an awesome thing to do Dayton, especially considering how dangerous a deer can be when cornered. Good job!!!!

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dayton, my hats off to ya.
    I bet the deer made it. He just had to rest up a little.
    y'all did a cool, good thing.
    Thanks for the story and pic.:cool2:

16. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    What a story, and what a great thing to do! Thanks for the pictures.
    Linz:wink:

17. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great story and pics, thanks for sharing.

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Everyone else already said it!! Thanks Dayton!!

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. As someone said earlier,that should be on the national news. Just goes to show what a great sportsman you are! Thanks for the great photos too!

20. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's pretty cool.....he must have been totally spent not to even put up a fight. Thanks for the story and pics. :big_smile: