Deer Feeders

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Big Country01, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    what tyoe of feeders do you use and do you make your own?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    big country, I have a few moultrie feeders and a american hunter, and another brand I cant remember the name that feeds at dusk and dawn, as well as a few gravity feeders. Personally I think that the gravity feeders are the best becuase they dont require batteries and seem to be more efficient. I just prefer the gravity (self-feeders) and it seems to me that the deer and turkeys prefer them as well once they get used to them.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    the area ihunt i would not reconmend a gravity feeder for we have allot of hogs and they will sit there and feed until it's empty....

4. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    big country yea i never thought about that, yea i guess time release would be the best, but dont know much about hogs or their effects on a feeder or your feed

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have went through half a dozen feeders (between my bro in law & I) in the last couple years. I find out that the barrell itsself can be as cheap as you want it to be, just make sure water can not get into it. The important thing in my opinon is to buy a high quality METAL spinner/feeder. I have went threw plastic ones in no time. The coons & even squirells will eat those plastic ones. I've had as many as 15 coons in at a time (proof via game cam pics) If you do an Ebay search you'll fins some decent metal spinners/feeders. I think I bought a Remmington Metal Digital one for like $30-40. I paid $70 for a metal one made by Koplin that has a lifetime warranty & is suspose to be "indestructable".... :rolleyes: Yea okay, but so far its been PERFECT!

If you do make your own feeder, make sure you have a very good lid. I used a 35 gallon platic drum on one of my feeders & put on a latch like youd see on a treasue chest, but forgot the lock. I closed the lid & put a 10-15 # piece of sandrock on top. I came back a couple days later & noticied that all my corn was on the ground & something had pulled the funnell through. As I got closer I heard something INSIDE my feeder, it was a coon! It pushed (prob a couple of them) the rock out of the way & got inside but couldnt get out. I knocked the feeder over & out went the coon. I refilled it up, still no lock, went to the store a day later, then came back to the feeder, SAME THING. This time the coon wasnt so lucky, I was pretyy mad after loosing 200 more pounds of corn. ;)

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yea, sometimes deer will eat the plastic spinners too. Take a look at this pic:

7. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    h20 thats a neat pic. Yea those coons can get up there and eat on them, I have camera pics of them climbing the pole to get to the feeder spinner. Looks pretty funny on the film!:)

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Instead of buying already mixed food plot seed, just buy each kind of seed seperate. You know what your making, and you know what's in it, and it's alot cheaper.