Deer Feeder

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shotdemducks, Aug 25, 2006.

1. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Anyone have an easy and fairly low cost ideas for homemade deer feeders. This would help me out a bunch.Thanks alot for your input and help in this matter.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Seee the guy with all the deer pics on here. He's got a good one that looks inexpensive to make & works.

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks i'll check it out

4. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i made a low cost feeder by getting a 55 gallon drum with a lid.i first painted it camo.next i put a hole in the side at the bottom of the barrel.made the hole large enough that corn can pass through.take it to your spot and put it on a slight downward angel.you want to fill the drum all the way.then make sure the corn is falling out also put some in front of the drum and along the trail both ways leeding to the drum. i can put 300 pounds of corn at one time and it only cost me 31 dollars for the corn.plus think about using cmere deer.it works.also with this feeder you dont have to make weekly trips to fill your feeder and the deer wont patteren you.
    good luck and good hunting.

5. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
  6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    you can try a 55 gallon metal barrel with top. cut a small hole in the bottom of the barrel. try cutting a baseball size hole first if it doesnt put enough out then you can make it bigger. sit the barrel on level ground, hole facing your stand. this is good for corn not sure of anything else. it will be gravity fed. as the animals eat whats on the ground more will pour out. try not to use plastic barrels cause the squirrels and such will eat your hole out making it bigger and more corn will pour out on the ground. hope this will help and it should be free if you can get a hold of the drum.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive used a 3" pvc pipe with a t connector put over a small post. But I think I would have saved more money on corn if I would have bought a timer and controlled the feeding. Ive had deer knock the fence post out of the ground, but I dont bait anymore, got too expensive.

8. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i forgot to add that you will have to cut a piece of plywood and put in the bottom of the barrel at an angle so the corn will drain towards the hole.

9. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks for the ideas guys

10. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The cheapest and quickest is a simple 5 gallon bucket with a top or a 2 liter coke bottle..

Drill about 6 holes in a circle around the center of the bottom of the bucket, 3/4" holes work fine. Fewer holes if you like.

Fill the bucket with corn and put the lid on it. Tie a rope to the handle and suspend the bucket from a limb so that the bottom of the bucket is between knee and belt buckle high.

Dump about a gallon of corn on the ground under the bucket. As the deer eat the corn on the ground they will bump the bucket and cause it to dribble out corn.

As more deer "learn" how to work the bucket, they will beat the day lights out of it knocking the corn out.

Another technique is to use 2 liter coke bottles. Fill the bottle with corn and lay the bottle on the ground; leave the cap off.. Tie a string to the bottle and attach the string to a tree.

Pour a pile of corn covering the opening of the bottle. The deer will eat the corn pile then start kicking the bottle around to get the corn out.

If you don't tie the bottle, they will kick it away from where you want it.
    The bottle protects the corn from weather, 'coons and other critters.

Robert

11. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    The 55 gallon drum works great I've done it too you don't have to fill as much but I used a 40 gallon plastic drum there only about 3 dollars around here good luck with it

12. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks guys for all the ideas

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    get a 5 gallon bucket with lid. drill 1 1/2 hole in center of bottom. old broom handle with nail through it 4 inches from end. put long end down through hole frominside and fill with corn. Hang from tree about 4 foot from ground and when the deer eat the corn on ground and bump into the stick more will fall out.

14. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    5 gallon buckets,and coke bottles now thats do-able.I love the BOC!

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If You Want To Get'em There Quick, Take A Plastic Jar With a Screw On Lid & Put Some Peanut Butter In It. Sometimes The Store Will Have Peanut Butter In Plastic Jars Already.

Nail Or Screw The Lid Onto A Tree, So That The Jar Faces Outward
    and Drill Holes Around The Jar, Screw The Jar Back Onto The Lid. The Scent Will Come Out This Way And When It Rains The Peanut Butter Will Drip On The Gound. Put The Jar Up High Enough On The Tree, That They Can't Knock It Off.

You May Have To Put Up With Some Squirrel "Damage" But The Way I See It Is, The Deer Use The Squirrels For "Lookouts", So If They Are Present The Deer Are More @ Ease

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    That sounds like a good idea, have you had any trouble with coons stealing the jars though?

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Not Really But You Could Make A "Flange" Like They Have Around Bird Feeders To Keep 'Em Out

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Peanutbutter ive heard it all does it really work and if so how good. how often do you change it ?

19. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes peanut butter works well.

But, Racoons can be a problem.

Robert

20. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    again thanks to all of you who have given me ideas on this.