Deer Feeder/Camera

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Jul 22, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ok Guys I finally got the deer feeder out of the garage and in the woods. Been there almost a week or so so will check it this week end. But I have a couple of questions for those that have feeders.
    1. How often do you have the timer set for and how much do you dispense.
    2. I am thinking of getting a trail camera and need some input. Flash or no flash. how many big do I need etc etc you guys get the picture. I cannot afford one for for 500 bucks I am looking at spending 200-300 as long as Pam dont find out:embarassed::big_smile:

2. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually only spin for 2-3 seconds twice a day just to get them comming around. I also try to do it at a time that i know will be daylight in a couple months so they don't get used to coming in to my area after dark. Once season starts i tend to dump for about 5 second twice a day, a lot more corn but keeps em moving through there. GET READY FOR COONS AND SQUIRLES!

I use a Moultrie I-60 game cam. it is 6 megga pixle which is plenty big enough. It has an IR flash not a light flash. it is good for the money but it does miss some because of the trigger time. I have some pictures in my album of a buck i missed last year taken on an I60. please note that the images in the gallery have been reduced in size from there origional resolution in order to keep thhe size down. Another PRO of the I-60 is it wwill hold up to a 4gig SD card. this means you can just swap cards and not have to bring the camera back to camp with you.

Good luck.
    Jason

3. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the info. I currently have it set for 8 seconds for 7 AM and 5 PM

4. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WOW thats a LOT of corn isnt like 1.25 lbs each time?or more maybe.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I start it high like 8 seconds and then cut them back to 2-3 seconds twice a day. The deer will run to it since they want to be first at the table before another deer gets to it. Also on the camera, set it for one shot every 5 or 10 minutes otherwise you will end up with 50 pictures of the same doe in one hour's time.

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I usually pour a few gallons on the ground when I first set it up and set it for just a few seconds. I adjust it based on the deer activity. If corn is piling up on the ground I shorten the time but if there are plenty of deer coming I lengthen it.

As far as cameras go, the infrared Moultries are good, but they make a clicking noise during the daytime non-flash pictures. That's my only complaint about them. Go to trailcampro.com and chasingame.com and you'll learn more than you've ever wanted to know about cameras. I only use infrareds and out of Bushnell, Moultrie, Stealthcam, and Wildview so far my best ones have been the old model Stealthcam (Model I230IR) and Wildviews before they screwed them up by trying to add color pictures. I'll never buy another Bushnell or Stealthcam Prowler, and I won't be buying the new Stealthcam that replaced the I230IR or a Wildview until they get their problems fixed. Scoutgaurd cameras are apparently pretty good and I may try one this year. There are also a lot of other new companies and models that I haven't tried yet.

I buy two cards for each camera that are the highest capacity that camera will hold. That way I can switch out cards quickly and go back somewhere else to check out the pictures. It also allows me to set my camera settings to get the most pictures at the highest quality the camera will take. I don't mind sorting through a lot of pictures of the same deer, and taking the most pictures it can may mean getting a picture of the buck that ran that doe off at minute 9 of a 10 minute delay.