Deer decoys???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BLKCLOUD, Oct 24, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Do they work or not..I like the rest of you have seen them on tv numerous times getting hammered by the dominate buck of the area..I wanted to buy one last year but a buddy of mine who is nearly a professional guide :wink:(he leases about 1000 acres in Illinois and guides hunters there..) said they were useless didnt work and were a waste of time and money..your thoughts?? thanks!!

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have experimented with Our locals and observed that Does.. Hate them..

They know every leaf in the woods and when some strange, not to good looking anyway .. bimbo shows up they fuss..
    Combine a little scent and the Young bucks will come from down wind and Stare at it forever.. Ole Big guy circles .. Blows a time or two and thats that.
    Traffic is what we depend on and I can safley say every deer with in my sight Knew and acknowledged the decoy ..Once..

No mounting , no Butt sniffing .. no real attraction power . But, they do react to one being there.. We just haven't been Sharp enough to figure out how to take advantage of it.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The DNR here in Indiana has had great success using them on illegal hunters. They are robotic, actually move a lil. They use em to get hunters using illegal rifles, no license/tag etc.
    For that I think they are great. Wish they had more boots in the field.

:big_smile:

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Our guys have one they call Timex..takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!!

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I know the local game-wardens love those dudes....:big_smile: We have had many folks stop on the side of the road to give that baby a ride in there truck:eek:oooh::smile2::tounge_out:

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah about the only thing those decoys attract around here are other hunters and rifle fire.you set one out around here you better hit the dirt because the woods open up like an iraqi firefight,its crazy.

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    theryre good for those "deep into the rut" bucks who get mad and go to pick a fight but around here theyre illegal.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I worked at a National retirement home near here and had permission to hunt it. The place had a lot of deer coming across it and feeding in the 220 acres of fields on the property. The only problem was there were very few trees there so there were almost no good stands. The properties on both side were real thick and held deer but one side was City Property (no hunting), and the other was an abandoned, overgrown farm across some train tracks with no hunting. One day while I had my crew out doing some work on the place, we saw a real nice buck run across the field and go into the thicket. There was nothing but fields with mowed grass for 200-250 yards around the thicket. That afternoon I piled 6 or 8 hay bales 150 yards out in the middle of the field, borrowed a friends deer target, put some Tinks 69 on it and placed it in the field 15 yards out from the thicket. After work I sat behind the hay bales and used a grunt call and a doe-in-heat call. Within 5 minutes that buck came busting out of the thicket headed for the decoy. As soon as he stopped, I put a 170 grain bullet behind his shoulder. He is on my wall above my computer watching me type this right now! Decoys work for me!

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well they have been working in se illinois for years now. We have had one doe set up torn apart by yotes! LMAO! can still see the teeth marks in the plastic..... I have never had a charge or fight with one, but they have stop the Bucks dead for a look that was to long :wink:. I think it makes a big diff on where and how they are set. just MO.

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    They have one here they call Bucky. I heard about one guy they caught that shot his gun empty, reloaded and started shooting again. he never figured out it was a dummy until the blue lights came on all around him. Makes you wonder, who's the dummy!

11. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    in my opinion decoys are much like calls,in areas with a large amount of does there is not much competition, and calls and decoys are much less effective.but i dont care what the ratio is there are certain days that bucks are so agressive they will respond to anything deer related calls or decoys.I personally do not use decoys because i have enough to carry into the woods already.

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    What is a National retirement home?? thanks!

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I was Maintenance Superintendent at The Elks National Home, which is a huge home, built in 1916, where anyone who has been an Elk, (like the Moose Club) can retire. It is famous for the huge Christmas display we put up every year, with over 100,000 lights. It would take us three months to put it up and people come from all over to see it every year. You can probably see it if you Google Elks National Home.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    If you are going to hunt with the decoy take a thumbtack or small nail and a piece of toilet paper. Pin that piece to its rear end. The wind will make it move and it doesn't take much. If using as a buck decoy, have it facing broadside. A buck will usually come in from the front on another buck. Spray a little buck urine ON THE GROUND not the decoy. Same thing for does. Positioning should be about the same. A buck will approach a doe from the rear. The more open areas with short grass work best. The decoy can be seen from a distance.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i was just thinkin about how a dec would have worked, as i watch the deer this morning.

do you guy think they need to be 3-d or can i make one from some card board?

16. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Dcoys do work thats for sure the land i hunt is so over hunted eith people its not funny, but my buddy used a doe decoy and had a buck come 300 yards at a dead sprint last year. And as far as a good laugh take one of those concrete lawn deer and set on a fence row about 250 yards from the road you wont believe how many times it gets shot. my friends grampa did it and thats thing has been shot so many times now it doesent even resemble a deer anymore. tells ya how many jack asses are out there hunting with us

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In Okla I have used a full body doe decoy for years and they work great!! I have a 3-D buck decoy too. Put some toilet paper or piece of white T shirt on her rump with a thumbtack and add Tink's 69 and go hide. Face the doe away from you at 25 yards, if you are a bow hunter, or farther for rifleman and wait. It works great the first night, second night they are getting skittish, third spooks them. The buck will circle between the decoy and you so he never knows you are there. Then spray yourself down with FORGET THE WIND Scent Elimination system and you can hunt downwind. Check out FORGET THE Wind at www.varminthunters.com/forgetthewind/.

catman george:big_smile:

18. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where I live in dooly county there isn't a local game warden so a sheriffs dep. desided to get a mechanical deer decoy and put it across the road from his house. he then hid in his truck and waited. that night someone pulled up, shot the decoy, figured out it wasn,t real then tried to steal it. they were cought almost immediatly. thats funny right there.