Deer Decoys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by SSG Johnson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I was wondering if any of you guys ever use deer decoys in paticular the RENZO doe decoy. A buddie of mine was telling me about them and thinking about getting one as I have used my threedee arrow target last year and had some luck with it. So if you have any advice on the use of decoys for deer or an opinion feel free to post and let me know.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Got a decoy and used it tonight I have a deer tail that I cut off a buck last year and gave to the boy. I put the tail on the decoy and man it really looked like a doe stand 20 yrds from my stand I saw 6 does and 2 fawns the fawns ran over to the decoy and one of the does came over and then got spooked and left but didnt throw a flag or blow. I tell ya it looks real from my tree stand Ill try and take a pic and post it tommorow from the stand.

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    deer decoy? if you need a deer decoy perhaps you need to practice alil more. I never use them if you cant wait or call them in with the rattles or grunts ....practice more bigest on so far is 16 nontypical ten pointer was 2nd

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Practice what??? Practice sitting still?? Practice grunting and rattling?? He didn't say anything about shooting problems, so what should he practice???

Very relevant reply to this thread Dave, I'm sure your experience with decoy's has helped SSG a whole lot :rolleyes:

Decoys are just another tool. They do work well with grunting and rattling during the rut........gives the incoming buck something visual to go with the audio. Seems to get the focus off the sound source, which is a good thing. Like you I used my 3-D target and just plane got tired of draggin it through the woods, I bet a lighter decoy would be sweet. Keep us posted on how it works during the rut

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    ever use ya could take back some posts lol I wanna take that one back lol I never intented to make anyone mad ........sorry guys

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Here is a pic of the Decoy I was talking about it is 19 yrds from my tree stand.

Attached Files:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I've never used a decoy before. However, last season I had a ground blind (homemade) set up on the edge of a field. About 20 turkeys came through the field and passed about 15 ft from me. It wasn't long before the deer all came out into the field. My thinking at the time was that they saw the turkeys and felt safe. I have heard folks who have used decoys before mention that they were a pain to set up. Made me wonder if it would be easier, cheaper and just as effective to use turkey decoys?

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Ive wondered that my self and a friend of mine always calls to turkeys while he is in the stand. Also I have seen alot of times when the deer come right after the Turkeys. Worth a try I might try that next time.

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know this is a little off subject, but I know for a fact Deer Decoys gets hunters (lol) " Illegal hunter's "

Every year we would set up a decoy for the guys that would not get out of their vehicles to go back in the woods and kill one.

One evening on the first day of deer season, I had went hunting in the morning and killed my buck about 7:10 AM just as it broke daylight, and I had to work that day at 9:00Am and I was dragging out my deer when I came to the road, I laid my deer against a tree and started back to the car, so I could drive it back to pick up my deer. As I got to my personal vehicle I noticed a vehicle going past me with all the windows down, a suburban which looked like four adults sitting in it, I looked at my watch and it was 8:30 AM, So I knew these guys were not out in the woods yet. So I got in my vehicle and started down the road, and I got to thinking boy I hope they don't see my deer and get out and shoot it.
    Just as I rounded the bend where my deer was, sure enough that vehicle was stopped dead in the middle of the road, and I could see a rifle pointing out the window. and I thought please don't shoot my deer again, well he must of seen it was gutted and they pulled out and kept going down the road. I got my deer and went home and hung it and got ready and headed back out to work.

Well I went to where I had shot the deer with robo deer, and a couple of other fellows that I work with, as we set the deer up about 50 Yards off the highway. about 10 minutes later here comes my Buddy's from that morning still out riding the roads, and sure enough they stopped the vehicle and out came the rifles both passenger window and back seat window. and they both shot, and then shot again, and shot again, me and another buddy started screaming at them from the other side of the vehicle.

As I got to the drives window the passenger had got out and reloaded and shot another two times with a Rem 760 30-06 Pump. Unreal here this deer was hit 12 times, you would think people would know something was wrong when the deer didn't take off, but they were so involved in killing this poor 6 point robo deer it was unreal.

Two of the guys lived in another state, and didn't even have a license but they had there guns loaded inside the vehicle. LOL

I never seen anyone so bound and determined to get there buck, as them four guys.

So if it works on people I am sure it will work good for you guys.. Just had to tell you that one. Someday I would love to write a book about my job..lol :)

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have killed two deer standing in the middle of turkeys. One a 5pt and the other a 6. I think they same thing yall do about feeling safe around the keen eye site of a turkey, how ever, I never even thought about putting a trukey decoy out. Good idea Kutter. You will never know till you try is what I was always taught. May just have to try it this season where I kill the other tow. Oh by the way, I kill both deer from the same stand two years apart. One had ten turkeys around him the other had three.

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dh, that is a good one. I am glad you shared that. LOL. I have cusin who on the second shot at a dummy deer saw the stuffing come out the back of the head. He just laid his gun down on the hood of the car and waited for the wardens to come on and take him to jail. And they did. LOL. Stories like that just kill me.

I will tell you one. My buddy kill a huge 11 pt. Him and his brother in law were coming in from hunting that morning and saw the deer in a hay field. They slide side ways in the road and emptied there 30-30's at the deer. on the next to the last shoot, my buddy said he say the buck hunker down and he knew he had hit him. Now this is the stroy as he use to tell it when he would show off the mounted head. Him and his brother in law fought over who had killed the deer and my buddy had the money to pay to get it mounted so he keep the mount and claimed the kill.

A few years later, I was hunting a large buck and hunting him hard. I took him opening morning of rifle season right at the break of day. He was a nice 13 pt. While cleaning the deer my buddy showed up to look at the deer. He told me that his 11 pt was still bigger and that I would have to do better than that to out do his deer.

I told him that I had a stroy to tell with my deer tho. I could tell how I had hunted the deer for 7 days and had lured him in and got him mad at me. So mad that he came to whip my butt that morning and I took him. I told him you can tell everyone how you saw the deer in the hay feild and slide sideways in the road to shoot at him and you empty your guns at him. Now which one is the better hunting stroy I asked him.

The next week I was at his house and the head was gone from the wall. I asked where it was and all he said is he gave it to his brother in law and told him he had killed it.

Where is the sport of taking one off the side of the road. Where is the thrill of the hunt and out smarting the pray. I just never have understood why people get a thrill out of it. In fact I do not corn deer for gun hunting, I like to HUNT them. :)

12. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    That is always what worries me carrying the three Dee target through the woods is getting shot at. That decoy folds up into a square so it is a little safer. The conservation officers set up robo deer here every year and catch someone every year its amazing that people will shot from a truck and then try and say they where set up......I had a conservation officer help me track a deer last year for about 6 hrs was the nicest guy and really a big help. We didn't find the deer but I only stopped looking after he put his arm around me and said "Son sometimes you do everything you can do and you just arnt going to find them". I saw him the next day and he told me he would keep an eye out for crows and buzzards and if he found my deer he would tell me and let me get the rack off of him. I have all the respect in the world for conservation officers. Its got to be a tough job confronting someone who you know has weapons on them.

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good post SSG. I feel the same way.

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thats a great story cut I feel the same way its wouldnt be worth it to kill one from the road and then have it mounted everytime you look at it you would know how you took it and it couldnt be a good feeling.

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    See here is the problem, these guys never do get out in the woods and try to figure out deer patterns or try to out smart the old buck that we all have tried to do so many times. These guys that I got that day did not have one bit of dirt on there boots, they tried to explain to me that they had been hunting all morning back in that area and it was not until I told them about the morning when I seen them ridding the road and scoping my deer, when I said that they stopped right there. These were the kind of people that we try and get. Granted we do get some that do hunt and they take a big chance on the way home to end there day with a quick kill from the road. but the times of the old hunters walking into there deer stands and looking for 6 weeks prior to deer season is almost over. Kids today would not scout for a deer unless they had that ATV under them.

I just hope when they get arrested like that , it will make them think twice before they do it again.

I use to stop by a restaurant and have coffee every morning with the locals and one guy in there every day would say well I got two deer last night with the spot light..(lol) So I would say since you got two can I have one for my family too. And he would laugh and say you will never get me !!

Well I can tell you I did get him, about a year later with a untagged deer hanging in his garage at 4:00AM , He about crapped when I walked into the garage. But you know he paid the fine and never gave any lip from it.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Here's my decoys I started using last year, don't laugh too hard. They are paper targets made the size of a 90 pound or so deer. We cut the deer out of the target sheet and glue it to the back of some plastic slip sheets. You can roll them up and stick it on the ground with a couple of sticks and your ready to go. I haven't taken a deer yet with using one yet but has caught the attention of several deer that have come in for a closer look.

Attached Files:

17. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Shoot central laugh I dont see a darn thing wrong with that decoy at all I wish I had a couple of them what do you charge to make one. From a distance I bet that would fool an old buck or two.